ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Stuff I'm Wondering: Transfer and Bowl Season

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
I don’t really know what to make of bowl games anymore, outside of the big ones, they feel more like spring games than anything else. I hate that, by the way. If you would’ve told a 16 year old me that there was a 12 team playoff on the horizon, but I’d miss the old fashioned bowl season… I would’ve asked how Bam Margera’s second term as president is going. We all know college football is in a weird spot, and nothing is more indicative of that than what has happened to bowl games, outside of the playoff and Tech, I would have a hard time naming any other matchup. I’m getting off topic.

So, since “the game” didn’t really matter, all I really wanted to see was a healthy Morton, some seniors have some moments, maybe a young guy or two make a splash play, and to win. That may seem counterintuitive with how I’ve just talked down bowl games to start, but I do think there’s something to 3 consecutive winning seasons and 3 consecutive bowl wins after what this program has put us through before Cumbie and, then, McGuire took the reins.

There have been times over the past 12 months that I have posted on this website, talked on the radio, and discussed with friends that 2024 was really the year I was excited to see this team. Now I’ll admit that had mostly to do with my own personal biases against the play of several expected contributors to the 2023 team, but it also had a lot to do with finally being able to see the juice that McGuire and co. are recruiting. The athletic profiles that this staff brings on campus is unlike anything I’ve ever seen at Texas Tech, combine that with the changing conference landscape, and I cannot wait to see the Red Raiders just athletically overwhelming teams. That vision starts next fall, and I think the bowl game gave us a small glimpse into that.

With that backdrop, here are some of the things I’ll spend the next few months wondering about/anticipating for next fall.

1. What is the vision for the offense moving forward?

This is probably everyone’s number one question, and we really didn’t get any clarification in Shreveport, not that we should have expected to, but it’s something to note. The only difference to me, was that a healthy Behren Morton matters, this team is 9-4 with a healthy Morton. That's not to say everything is perfect or magically fixed with a healthy #2, but it does provide Kittley with more leverage to try to solve some of his problems. The two charts below do a good job of outlining these problems.

Success Rate (Y) is an efficiency metric that determines the success of a play. Successful plays meet one of the following criteria:
  • the offense scored
  • 1st downs which gain at least 50% of the yards to go
  • 2nd downs which gain at least 70% of the yards to go
  • 3rd and 4th downs which gain at least 100% of the yards to go
Predicted Points Added (PPA) (X) is the same thing as EPA. There are various different models for calculating EPA and EPA. PPA uses this site's custom EPA model.
Expected Points Added (EPA) uses Expected Points to measure the outcome of a play. It takes the EP value from the beginning of a play (e.g. 2nd and 5 at the 50) and subtracts it from the EP value resulting from the play (e.g. rush for 10 yards results in 1st and 10 from the 40).

Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 8.45.49 AM.png

This chart uses the same metrics, but for passing plays only.
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 8.46.20 AM.png

Texas Tech was really bad offensively, and worse than that through the air. Sure, personnel and injuries matter, but I would argue some of the teams better than us in these charts had injury and talent problems equal to ours. We were incredibly easy to defend this year, that cannot be the case moving forward, and it's going to take more than better talent to fix it. Kittley gets a lot of flack, rightfully so, but one thing he should get credit for is changing the run game, which, inevitably, salvaged our season. He has always been more of a zone scheme guy, and went almost exclusively gap scheme to better utilize the struggling offensive line. That is what gives me hope that he can adjust his scheme in a way that makes Tech difficult to defend AND athletic. Depending solely on upgrading athleticism is, as Kevin Malone eloquently puts it, "a dangerous game friendo." Kittley's two offenses at Tech have been two of the worst I've ever seen, it has actively lost us games, that cannot be the case in 2024.
  1. Are we betting the offensive line problems were personnel over scheme problems?
Unlike the offense as a whole, I am willing to listen to the argument that the offensive line problems are more due to personnel than scheme... but I am wondering about it. PFF grades, recruiting rankings, eye-test would all indicate that Hamby has been working to overcome what was left to him from the previous staffs (although yes the Staats and Spencer misses are on him). The portal additions so far are very encouraging because, one higher end talen, and, two, it tells me that Kittley and Hamby are sticking to the gap scheme concepts that worked this year. Being more athletic at center and guard can only help the power, counter, and buck concepts next year.

Power Success (Y) measures the percentage of running plays on 3rd or 4th down from 2 yards or less in which an offense either converted into a 1st down or scored a TD. 1st and 2nd down and goal plays within the 2 yard line are also included.

Line Yards (X) attempts to measure the number of running yards which are attributed to the offensive line. Yards are weighted as follows:
  • losses - 120%
  • 0-4 yards from LOS - 100%
  • 5-10 yards from LOS - 50%
  • 11+ yards from LOW - 0+
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.41.52 AM.png
The offensive line wasn't perfect, but that chart is pretty encouraging, especially if we are expecting an upgrade of talent. There is also something to consider with a healthy quarterback and functioning passing game, that can only help the offensive from every team being able to key in on the run game.

1. Are we already seeing the vision of McGuire recruiting?
I've alluded to this a few times already, but I think we might be underestimating the impact of the type of athlete's McGuire's staff brings on campus. It's all I could think about watching the young defensive lineman go off Saturday night. Yeah, Amier Washington stole the headlines, but Adedire, Banks, Esters, Dyson all made plays, and that was without Dylan Spencer, who we know can make plays at this level.

Sure the defensive line went off in the bowl game, but throughout the season I was impressed with guys like Dingle, Jordan, Lewis, and Sanford having to step in randomly throughout the year due to injury. Chapman Lewis filled in for Rabbit when he was hurt early in the UCF game and I barely noticed a difference, that's pretty outstanding for a true freshman. The level of athleticism these guys possess provides a solid floor on performance, and allows them some wiggle room to make up for some typical young guy mistakes. If these are the flashes, I'm pretty excited to see a team full of "McGuire Guys."

1. What’s the plan when Behren goes down?
I hate to say "when" and not "if," but cmon. We all know we're cursed, so let's get a plan in place now. Yes, you can argue that an improved offense, overall, will help keep Morton healthy, but that doesn't save you from that freak injuries that have been just as common the past couple of seasons. I know that we cannot continue with the plan in place from this season, it did no one involved any favors, to the point where I question that QB room as a whole. I like the idea of the West Georgia transfer, Cameran Brown, for both short yardage and the occasional gadget play, but can you build an offense around him if Morton misses extended time? Is Jake Strong a Big 12 level player? Does another year in the program get him to that level? We just saw the experience of a true freshman starting games, is Will Hammond special enough to overcome that? I'm not sure, but this staff needs to be, especially since it's pretty safe to say this staff did a pretty awful job of self-scouting this past offseason, thinking certain guys could do things they could not, thinking they had enough talent at positions, and not matching the scheme to their players. That's not a fatal flaw, it can be fixed, and hopefully this season was a wake-up call. McGuire acknowledged the mistake, so I'm betting it gets corrected.

Football's biggest flaw is the dependency on the quarterback position, but even acknowledging that, the success/failure of the 2024 season cannot hinge on one guy getting hurt. Have a plan ready.
  1. How does the defense create more havoc in 2024?
I have been thoroughly impressed with DeRuyter's defense the past two seasons, to the point that they deserved better outcomes, but the offense let it down (going back to question #4). My biggest question/complaint is about the lack of havoc forced, offenses are often too comfortable, especially on passing downs. This is not just a this year problem either, even with Tyree, this defense struggled getting to the QB and turning him over.

Havoc refers to the percentage of plays in with the defense recorded a TFL, forced a fumble, intercepted a pass or broke up a pass.
Screenshot 2023-12-19 at 9.10.32 AM.png

It's really quite remarkable how successful the defense has been without creating consistent havoc. It also makes me pretty excited because if that can improve this defense will be at a level that can win conference games, almost, on their own. The answer to this question may go back to question #3, and filling a defense with freak athletes will naturally lead to more havoc, but in the meantime, I think the bowl game provided some examples of how DeRuyter plans to create havoc schematically. I don't remember seeing much of this type of stuff during the season, but it's pretty cool to see the defensive staff trying some stuff in the bowl game.

Honestly, this is the type of adjustment I'd love to see from Kittley, recognizing an issue, and implementing a plan to address it. Also worth keeping in mind that DeRuyter did this with a ton of young guys playing.

Between the wins in the transfer portal, young guys developing, and the disappointment that was this past season, I'm pretty excited for 2024. If McGuire is who we think he is, this season will, ultimately, do us good. Important to remember how new all of this is for McGuire, there were going to be growing pains, I'm betting he learns from them. It's easy to forget where we've been the past ten years, but I'm riding with the guy who has back to back winning seasons, back to back winning conference records, back to back bowl wins, and is continuing to bring top level talent to Lubbock. If i'm going to be wrong, I can feel good about being wrong when I'm betting on that.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News