ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Stuff I Noticed on Film: Texas

T. Beadles

Swaggy Beadles
Staff
Dec 8, 2012
Lubbock
Winning would require things to happen that have not happened yet (running the ball, Donavan being decisive, receivers consistently winning matchups), those certainoly could happen, but I don't think its wise to count on it.

Home field advantage, texas crapping the bed, the defense finally forcing some turnovers, and Donovan being Iowa State Donovan could throw a wrench into the order of things, and I'll be there hoping that happens, but

38-17 texas

That’s what I wrote before the game last week, admittedly, and obviously, I was pretty pessimistic. I don’t think that pessimism was unfair, regardless of where we all think this program is heading, it seemed pretty far from that, in several key areas, against both NCState and Houston. I don’t know if Saturday was a corner turned or just a peak of what’s to come, and I don’t care, Texas Tech played much better in several key areas and beat the Texas Longhorns. That’s all that matters.

I was pretty nervous that my prediction was right on in the first half. As you can see from the plays above, the defense was battling their tales off, the Longhorns just had a little too much firepower. First play is a perfect example, Texas isn’t doing anything groundbreaking scheme wise, they just know that Tech HAS to stop Bijan to have a chance, and so they take advantage of that commitment with an RPO that uses the space and throwing lanes creates by the LBs stepping up to stop the run. Tech is playing Cover 1, and, knowing that he has help over the top, I would like to see Dunlap more physical with the receiver off the line.

The next two plays are more of the same considering the Red Raider defense was incredible close to making a big play, and just didn’t quite do it. Card is under duress in both plays but stays alive just long enough to take advantage of a miscommunication in the secondary, first time, bunch confuses the Tech DBs, and two guys end up taking one receiver. Second time, Worthy runs a deep cross and manages to get lost when running across zones. These types of mistakes should have killed this game, but thanks to the resiliency of this team, it did not. Those secondary miscommunications need to get worked out because you know the Wildcats can and will take advantage.

This next clip is four of my favorite defensive plays from Saturday. First one, Tech drops 8 and rushes three, a defensive scheme that has been productively utilized by basically everyone, except Texas Tech, in recent years. The DLine pounces quick, everyone is winning their matchup, but Card does have a little window of time to get the ball to one of the playmakers in space. Instead, the Tech back 8 is perfectly positioned and moving together to prevent any easy throw. I said it against Houston, but if this scheme can become a weapon, this Tech defense is dangerous.

Speaking of D Lineman winning their matchups, look at the carnage on this 4th down attempt. Texas is running their version of Wildcat, and running Zone Follow, a play Tech ran to great success several times Saturday. It works by creating easy down blocks for your lineman, a kickout, and a lead blocker for the ball carrier. Like any zone play, penetration will kill it, Jaylon Hutchings ability to get across his blocker and into the backfield from the backside completely disrupts any progress. It’s so fun having a D Line that can win its matchups.

The third play is nothing special, I just like laughing at UT arrogance. Did you really think a TE could block the best defensive end in the league? Give me a break.

Finally, THE play of the game. I shudder to think about how this game ends if Merriweather doesn’t force the first (can’t stop laughing at that) fumble of Bijan’s career. It had to have been difficult to ride the emotional roller coaster of the last minute for the Red Raiders, most teams would have crumbled, this one might have, but, thankfully, we’ll never know. Besides the forced fumble, this is a damn good play from Krishon, one he made several times Saturday. He was able to make his read, sift through the trash, avoid a blocker with ease, and lay the smackdown on the best back in the country. This is not a hit that should force a fumble, but this is where McGuire’s prophecy came to fruition. He said they were going to break, and they did, and their best player led the way. This was an exhaustion fumble. Then the Tech defense is rewarded for constantly swarming the ball with the recovery. Ball game.

This defense is so fun to watch. They are almost hard to breakdown because they don’t do many exotic or flashy things, they just play sound football at full speed. It’s legitimately beautiful. Hard to imagine they won’t give us a chance to win basically every game.

As for the offense, as big of a Donovan Smith fan as I am, I started to waver with the performances against Houston and NC State. I was not sure he could decisively read a defense and do what was asked of him, whether that be running or throwing. It wasn’t always pretty, as you can see in the clip below, but it was much more good than bad. It appeared that his job was simplified, which gave him confidence, he was quicker to use his natural abilities to keep the offense on time, and, most crucially, he stopped throwing the ball to the other team.

Before we get to the good, let’s look at some improvements that Donovan needs to make before we pull off two top 25 road upsets. First play, I love the play design, getting Donovan on the move, simplifying reads, give him an option to run, and he makes the right call. The problem is the ball, which will be a theme of these plays, that needs to be on a rope. Price makes a great catch, but I’d like to not put our best receiver in physical danger if not necessary.

Second play, I get that he is about to get hammered, but you might as well make it worth it. If this ball is put between the hash and the numbers, Loic may score. This offense needs an element of explosiveness at the moment, can’t miss those.

Next play, again, too much air. Price is wide open, and Donovan just flat misses him. This was an NC State level mistake that cost the team a first down, and I thought at the time, a chance to win. It’s weird because his mechanics looks fine, it’s just a miss. Can’t happen the next two weeks.

Last play, the O Line and Tahj do a great job of picking the rush up, Donovan has plenty of time to find an open receiver, he just makes a bad read. If you pause the clip at :30, you’ll see he has two receivers open for the first down, and one triple teamed. He chooses the one who was triple teamed. Donovan played really well, but we’ve got an extra gear with a little more improvement, and that’s encouraging.

Next clip 4th down conversions… all 6 of them… I’m not going to break down each one, but a few things to consider.

• This is the best of Donovan. He’s using his legs to not only buy time and create throwing lanes, but to convert on several occasions (including a EuroStep). He also used his physicality in short yardage, it is such a weapon that this offense HAS to use going forward.
  • The receivers deserve credit for finding openings, making sure they are past the sticks, and making contested catches. I’m still concerned about their ability to create separation, but that can wait for now.
  • The offensive line is not a story line this week, and that is a great thing. They still didn’t play well, but they were good enough when they needed to be, and that might be all that we can ask of this unit.

Last clip is something we’ve all been confused about and/or clamoring for, tight ends in the passing game!

First play is one of my favorite ways to get the TE involved, it’s simple and utilizes their mismatch capabilities. This is a pass play the whole way, but Donovan and Thompson really play out their mesh to draw the linebackers up, once that happens, all Donovan has to do is hit the large man in a lot of space. This place could easily go for bigger yardage against other opponents, but the Texas S makes a nice play.

Next play is pure sicko stuff, double fake screen to a TE seam? Filthy. If Tharp is looking the other direction, that’s 6, even so, that’s really an incredible catch because I’m not sure he ever saw the ball until it hit his hands. Also, kudos to the O Line, not an easy play to run.

Last play, again, its genius is its simplicity. Texas is beaten and Donovan knows where he’s going just based off alignment. As long as the O Line holds up, which they do, this play is stealing. Also helps to have a freak athlete like Cupp running that route. I’d like to think that if the Texas LB was lined up outside of Cupp, he would just run a hitch right there, but either way, it worked.

This doesn’t even mention the trick play to Tharpe, the TD to Cupp, or the Jayden York snaps (which I’d like to see more of that I formation). It was obvious that using the TEs was emphasized in the gameplan this week, it was encouraging that it was successful, and I’d like to see more of it.

This offense is not a finished product, it still needs more consistent O Line play, for QB Play to continue to improve, and to find a way to create explosive, but it’s hard not to be encouraged with the growth seen and obvious coaching adjustments from the last two weeks to this one.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News