ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Spring Ball Recap (Yep, it's long)

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Alright, amigos. I've let it stew a few days, gone back and looked at a good number of my notes from spring ball, and I'm ready to unload a whole lot of thoughts about what I saw and what it makes me think I'll see in September.

Here it goes...

The Quarterback Battle

I came into the spring thinking that Jett Duffey would be the unquestioned leader in the clubhouse to start this fall. The verdict now? Well, mostly the same, but I will say there are some questions. Duffey flashed an ability to make throws into tight coverage with some pop on his throws, as he's got a pretty ball. He also showed nice patience at times, had great poise in the pocket, felt out pressure calmly, and made some really good decisions as a passer and a runner. While touch sacks stopped from showing off Duffey's true wheels, I got a glimpse several times for what kind of a threat he is to run. It's very different than what Tech's had in two decades.

But at the same time, he has got to stop forcing throws and understand down and distance situations. There were times when he would try to force a throw in to a window he couldn't, would throw up a ball he shouldn't, or just seemed to be sloppy. I think much of this is due to him missing an entire developmental cycle and being behind the eight ball, so every individual rep is more important to Duffey than it is to any other player on the team. He needs to understand this as well. He's got to continue to sharpen up and grow. If he does, then it's a no brainer that he should start and will excel. If he doesn't, then he'll be maddening to watch as you see the raw tools on display while he makes too many mistakes. Again, I think some of this is youth, maturity, and time related. But Duffey is the best on-paper option for this specific offense to succeed. He does the most to make this team much more effectively balanced on offense. You need to run it more with the defenses you see, and Duffey helps diversify your run game and keep defenses guessing. But he's got to make strides this summer.

With McLane Carter, I think the book is out there: He knows the offense well, he knows where he needs to go with the ball, he throws with conviction, and he can move around with his legs when needed. But I just don't think he can make some of the big throws you need to make in this offense at times. I just have yet to see the arm strength. Now, I will say this: If you feel like the running game is going to be really, really good, and if you think you can rely on it heavily, then I think you maybe consider Carter as the starter more. You would just have to limit the passing routes and utilize play-action to get guys more open for him downfield. I love everything about Carter except for the arm strength. If he had it, I think he's your starter and we move on. Now, 12 years ago when the Air Raid was still indefensible and you could dink and dunk up and down the field? You could start him then. But not now unless you have a dominant run game to loosen up intermediate and downfield coverages.

So, let's talk Alan Bowman. Bowman did nothing short of wow me and just about everyone else this spring. He came in, picked things up quickly, and he started turning heads. He has plus arm strength and really made just a ton of throws I loved, and he did so looking like a guy who's two years older than him. Just no panic or look of "I'm a freshman and I'm lost." That never showed up when I saw him this spring. He moves around better than I thought he could, too. But he was running against the twos and threes all spring, he's working with a smaller playbook than the two older guys, and he's got the training wheels on a bit. On top of that, he has zero pressure on him. He's just out here doing what he's told and trying to get better, and that's exactly what a true freshman early enrollee should do. He gets gold stars and checkmarks across the board. But again, he is still super, super young and is playing in the minors a bit, if that makes sense. What will he do in the majors? I think he'd definitely be a little overwhelmed right now. BUT, he does have the rest of this spring and the entire summer to develop. While I would be surprised if Bowman ended up starting, I would not be shocked if he ends up giving Duffey and Carter a lot bigger run for their money than anyone could've anticipated and at least makes Kingsbury and Johns think about it. This kid's got it, ya'll. If he stays on this path, and you can mark my words: He's gonna be a really dadgum good college quarterback. Tech stole one here.

The Offensive Line

This one is pretty cut and dry: You return all five starters from a year ago (one who likely won't start) and are simply looking to take a big step forward with consistency. This O-line was frustrating to watch in 2017 because of how up and down they were. There were nights when they'd bulldoze opposing front sevens, even good ones, on the ground and hold up in pass pro well, but there were other nights where the run game couldn't get going, guys missed assignments, and opposing pass rushes wreaked havoc. It was a roller coaster, one that Brandon Jones wants to get off of and has said as much this spring.

A lot of the inconsistency up front last year had to do with how young the unit was while also trying to adjust to new run schemes and ideas from a new O-line coach, but they won't have that excuse this year. It's a group where you'll start two juniors at the tackles - Bruffy and Steele - a senior at center - Stawarz - a stud, future all-American at right guard - Anderson - and then we'll see what happens at left guard. Even without an answer at left guard, those four are plenty talented and should make this one of the better O-line's in the conference.

At left guard, I think it ends up being Dawson Deaton. I say that simply because Akamnonu was a big part of that inconsistency for the O-line last season. He has loads of talent, but he's all over the place game to game with his performance. Jones is looking to motivate him or find somebody else to take his place, simple as that. I thought Deaton was the best answer this spring and really solidified up the interior when he was in, particularly in the run game against a really run-stout front seven.

The results overall this spring? Better than last fall for sure, but still too inconsistent. Now, we need to all remember this: Tech's front seven on defense returns all but one starter, most of the two deep, and was pretty dang good against the run last year. So, it would figure that by the time you've practiced against each other 15 times, that run-stopping front seven would have a major advantage. They know the plays, know where everything is going, and can likely see it before the snap happens. That's why I don't think twice about the run game going for less than 4 yards a pop in the spring game. In fact, I thought the O-line opened some nice holes and got some good seal blocks for Ward and King in the game at times.

As for pass protection, Bruffy and Steele are having a bit of trouble with speed rushers, but they did last year, too. Both guys are plenty capable and athletic for their size, just need to keep growing and developing as technicians at this point, which Jones will make them do. But again, truly great speed rushers are a problem for most tackles in college football that aren't a top 2 round pick. This offensive line's chemistry just needs to keep developing, and I think it really will moving forward into the summer and fall. Not worried about this unit at all.

Questions Remain At Receiver

When you lose 70 percent of your production at receiver, there are going to be some major shoes to fill for anyone in football. Very rarely have you ever had some an exodus of major veteran production like you do this year. But Coutee, Cantrell, and Batson aren't coming back, so it's time for the new faces to start making plays and vying to be the top dog.

The most obvious candidate for that top spot is TJ Vasher, but drops and inconsistency remain an issue for the sophomore. When he flashes, he really flashes and makes big plays with his huge frame and catch radius. But he has way too many mental slip ups right now to be the dude. I think he's working on it and certainly can become that guy, but he's got to take some strides this summer for that to happen.

The guy who I think ends up as your leading receiver is Antoine Wesley. He's reliable, has a great feeling for getting open in space, has consistent hands, a great catch radius, and he's fantastic in one-on-ones because of his body control and physicality. You can line him up at X, Y, or Z, too. He's versatile and will get it done. Saw it all spring.

I thought DeQuan Bowman and Donta Thompson had good springs, too. Bowman is a guy the staff loves because of how mature and patient he's been waiting his turn, and he can make plays in the slot at H in the open field. Thompson really took a lot of steps forward this spring and was easily one of the most improved players on the team. He's been a good in-line blocker as a small tight end, and he's made the most of his opportunities at catches and is really physical.

That group of four is one I do like. But again, none of them have proven in a season they can be reliable, go-to players.

Other guys to watch are Jojo Robinson, Dalton Rigdon, Myller Royals, and then Zach Austin and JaDeion High when they get healthy. Robinson flashes when he gets the ball, but he's got to take care of business in all other aspects. He has a ton of talent and did at Arkansas, too. Has always jumped out at practice. But he's still just running with the twos and threes. Royals really showed off some silky moves for a guy his size as an early-enrollee this spring. Really think he has a chance to be really good down the road, but he needs his body to develop, needs to put on weight. Rigdon is really interesting to me. He's got speed and good body control, leaping ability. I know the staff loves him and how hard he works. He made some big plays, too.

This is a group that's more talented than most think, especially when you add in Erik Ezukanma, Kesean Carter, and Corey Fulcher. But there are going to be some growing pains I would guess as the unit grows and comes along.

Running Back To Be Fun, Improved in 2018

Man, I'm really excited to see DaLeon Ward and Tre King get after it this fall. Both are patient, balanced, extra-yard runners who've got some bounce to their cuts that I really like. They're really similar backs from a skillset standpoint to me, though Ward is probably the better receiver and King is a bit faster in the open field. These are the kind of guys you need. You can split the carries between these two guys and feel good about it, I think.

You've needed two solid backs, and now you've got them. Ward was arguably the team standout this spring to me. He just made plays whenever he got the ball, and I think that says something against this defense. I think he's more explosive than he was as a freshman, too.

Now the interesting question overall here is what happens if Tre Watson transfers in? Because if he does, this is gonna be a really fun tailback group that will remind you of what West Virginia's been putting out there.

Watson is more in the vein of Justin Stockton, more of a speedy, one cut back that's a really good receiver and could play in the slot if you wanted him too. I think he has more wiggle than Stock did, though.

That would be fun, fun, fun. Let's cross our fingers.

Scheme Thoughts

So, everyone's big question coming into the spring was just how much of an influence that Kevin Johns would have on this offense. The answer I think is quite a bit, even if you don't see it in the pure Xs and Os. I think they adjusted some things in practice to what Johns has done at times, and I do think there's clearly a more concerted effort to run the ball moving forward. Things are as 50/50 from a play-calling standpoint this spring as I've ever seen under Kliff. Yes, they were already running some traditional run schemes with pulling guards and tackles on powers, buck sweeps, and other things of that nature, but they seem to be doing more of it this spring while adding more RPO and read-option stuff to the mix. I saw some fun RPOs this spring that we hadn't seen before, the QBs are absolutely running it more than they ever have under Kingsbury - designed or otherwise -, and we saw more 20 personnel and 11 personnel packages than we have before. I think this is a team that's going to remain in its primary identity as a one back, 10 personnel spread offense, but you're going to see more two back stuff in the gun and pistol, more usage of Donta Thompson as an in-line blocker than we have before. It's all just the next evolution of this offense, one that was necessary, IMO, to combat the coverages and looks that Tech is getting now.

And I'm all for that.

General Defense Thoughts...

I won't have nearly as many thoughts about the defense as I did the offense, and that's honestly because you guys know just about everything there is to know about this unit. It's almost the exact same one as we saw last season. 10 returning starters, and like 9 guys in the two deep and rotation that come back. This is familiar, and the unit looked like we thought it would this spring.

They continued to create turnovers, especially against the QBs and the young skill position players. They forced fumbles and got picks. That theme kept on trucking. They also stayed solid against the run.

But the thing that really took a jump to me was the pass coverage. Yes, the corners still get called for PI too much. But the DBs have taken a big stride forward as a group in my eyes. It was much, MUCH harder to throw against this defense for Duffey and Carter than it was for Shimonek at this time last spring, and I think that more has to do with how much better this team's getting in pass coverage than it has to do with ineptitude offensively.

In particular, I really liked what I saw from Justus Parker (duh), Octavious Morgan, DaMarcus Fields, and Adrian Frye. I thought all of them did a great job of making plays and shutting receivers down. Morgan took a big leap forward this spring to me. He was much more consistent in coverage and figured out how to be physical with Tech's big receivers. Frye is a battler, man. He may give some things up, but he will fight you tooth and nail and has a short memory. I really like the makeup of this secondary headed into the summer, and there's more talent and depth there across the board than there's been in YEARS. A long time, probably since 2012 or 2009.

Dakota Allen was all over the place, as you'd expect. The guy at linebacker who really made the biggest jump was Riko Jeffers. The sophomore is big, physical, and he can move. You can play him off the edge or in the middle. Love what he's doing, especially in run support.

On the D-line I was really impressed by Kolin Hill. He lost 20 pounds this spring, and it absolutely paid off for him. The senior looks much more agile and quick as a pass rusher than he ever has at Tech. I think he could have a big year that surprises people. Broderick Washington was great as usual, mean and eating up blocks while making plays. I also really liked what we saw from Nick McCann, who held of Joe Wallace. McCann has taken some big steps forward over the last year. So, in summary: Front seven gets a big thumbs up from me.

David Gibbs expects a LOT out of this veteran-heavy group. And while he might not say it publicly, I know privately he's told some he thinks it could be the best college defense he's ever coached. Age, experience, and mean guys all over the place to go along with real depth.

Excited for this unit this fall. I think they're going to be even better than they were a year ago.

PROJECTED TWO-DEEP

OFFENSE

QB: Duffey (So,), Bowman (TR Fr.)
RB: Ward (So.), King (Sr.)
Big H: Carr (So.), Reed (Sr.)

LT: Bruffy (Jr.), Akamnonu (Jr.)
LG: Deaton (Fr.), Marshall (TR Fr.)
C: Stawarz (Sr.), Smith (Jr.)
RG: Anderson (So.), Hines (Sr.)
RT: Steele (Jr.), Adams (So.)

XWR: Wesley (Jr.), Collins (Jr/Sr.)
HWR: D. Bowman (Sr.), Robinson (Sr.)
YWR: Thompson (Jr.), Austin (Sr.)
ZWR: Vasher (So.) Rigdon (Fr.)

Thoughts: Hoo boy, you want to talk about a unit that could look really different come September 1st. There's just so much flux across the board on offense. That left guard spot could jump around if Akamnonu has a really good summer and fall camp, and at WR, I think the two deep could change a whole lot, even week to week in season.

I'm fairly confident that will be your starting four, but the backups at all four spots could be totally different. How does Ja'Deion High factor in? Does Quan Shorts solidify himself and maybe even jump back into a starter role, moving Wesley back inside to Y? What do KeSean Carter, Erik Ezukanma, Myller Royals, Corey Fulcher, and Sterling Galban do to grow this summer, and can they dethrone a vet that's asleep at the wheel or just not cutting it? Does Zach Austin look like the healthy version of himself from 2015? I've never seen so much room for change at receiver before, and I think you can take that as both a good and bad thing. Lots of young talent, but nothing that's proven.

ALSO, since we learned about Seth Collins being in the mix today, I think he's your top backup at X or Z and likely pushes Dalton Rigdon, Quan Shorts, or Myller Royals down the depth chart. Could push two of them down the depth chart. He's talented enough to be in your two deep and potentially start depending on what you do with Wesley. He also has a chance at a medical redshirt to get another year of eligibility, thus why I added the jr/sr.

At tailback, I feel good about those two, but I also need to know whether Tre Watson is a member of this football team or not to make any further judgements. If he is, then I think it turns into a three-headed monster where all three guys get a similar work load.

At quarterback, while I think it's Duffey, he's going to have to keep his head on straight and continue to develop and mature at a steady rate this summer to solidify that spot. If he doesn't, I think this thing may end up going to Bowman should he continue to grow at this rate. That kid is talented, yall.

DEFENSE

DE: Howard (So.), Yontz (Sr.)
NT: McCann (So.), Wallace (So.)
DT: Washington (Jr.), Gordon (Sr.)
RE: Hill (Sr.), Jones (Sr.)/Gilmore (Jr.)

WLB: Allen (Sr.), Taylor (Jr.)
MLB: Jeffers (So.)/Brooks (Jr.)

LCB: Fields (So.), Smith (Jr.)
NB: Parker (Jr.), Coleman (Jr.)
LS: Dorsey (Sr.), Allen (Sr.)
RS: Johnson (Sr.), Leggett (So.)
RCB: Morgan (Sr.), Frye (Fr.)

Thoughts: I feel much, much more confident in this two-deep than I do the offensive one. I think this group of starters is pretty much set, specifically the secondary. I think Smith, Coleman, and Frye will rotate in quite a bit, as will John Davis and Jaylon Lane (If he takes care of business in the classroom), but that group is the one that you'll see come out for the opening snaps each game.

At linebacker, Allen is a no-duh, but I think anyone penning in Jordyn Brooks as his definitive running mate should tap the brakes. Yes, he was dinged up this spring, so Riko Jeffers got most of the first string snaps next to him as the mike, but I'm telling you right now: I would not be shocked to see Jeffers start this fall and have Brooks rotate in. I think Jeffers is a special, special talent. That's not to knock Brooks, either, who has plenty of ability himself. I just think this is where you're at with the top three at linebacker right now. Brooks and Jeffers, whoever starts, will both play quite a bit.

On the D-line, the only spot I think still up for grabs is the nose. McCann was steady eddie all spring as the starter there, and he held off Joe Wallace. Now, could Preston Gordon come in and take that spot as a seasoned vet, too? Yep, he could. Regardless, the two deep on the interior very much makes this big boy happy. That's a lot of athletic, mean beef.

At rush end, Kolin Hill really looked to have taken a step forward, and as such, I think he's your clear cut starter. Tony Jones and Lonzell Gilmore will both factor in, but I don't know how you share those reps yet.

SO WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

Well, I think it's pretty well laid out: This defense has a chance to be really good, but this offense is a total wildcard at this point in the process. Yes, I like what's going on with the offensive line. I love the top running backs, too. And while I like the potential at receiver, it's a total question mark, While I think Jett Duffey has the potential to be a really good QB that's a perfect fit for what Kingsbury and Kevin Johns are trying to do, he's going to have to take some real steps forward to become that player. Whatever player he ends up becoming and whether or not he has any reliable playmakers at receiver are going to determine how this team does in 2018.

So, record prediciton? 7-5 with a floor of 6-6, ceiling of 10-2. That's how varying of a swathe I see with this team. I think the defense will be good enough that, no matter how rough the offense might be, they're gonna help you get to six wins. I believe that. But what this offense evolves into over the summer will determine if this is another middling, below average year or a really fun ride. If you get max-Duffey and some playmakers to tear it up at receiver, this could be a great season. But I haven't seen that yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News