ADVERTISEMENT

Second look at the Brandin Cooks trade

Raider1950

Red Raider
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
I, along with most people, felt like the Cowboys got over on the Brandin Cooks trade last weekend. As you recall, Houston sent Cooks to the Cowboys for a 2023 5th round pick and a 2024 6th round pick. Cooks is still a fine receiver though he'll be 30 on September 25. Still, advantage, Dallas.

But hold on a minute.

Today it was reported that Houston has agreed to a deal with Dallas free agent TE Dalton Shultz and I then recalled that the Texans had previously signed Dallas free agent WR Noah Brown. Both players are solid and easily in their 20s.

So technically the trade was what it was but in effect, Dallas ended up getting Cooks while Houston now has Shultz, Brown, the 5th round pick and the 6th round pick. Obviously, Houston GM Nick Caserio knew he already had Brown and probably had the deal worked out with Shultz before agreeing on the weekend trade for Cooks.

So after all of the smoke cleared, you can look at this in any way you want, but it seems to me that it was actually Houston that came out on top.

By the way and just to be clear, I root for both Texas teams as well as the Chiefs (for obvious reasons). I really hope the Cowboys play the Chiefs in next year's Super Bowl. How cool would that be?

• Haha
Reactions: chad0454
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News