ADVERTISEMENT

Scattered thoughts after yesterday.

J T Chance

🌵🌵🌵🌵🌵🌵
Gold Member
Aug 5, 2003
So...lots of thoughts have crossed my mind both during yesterday's game and after.
First...the game.
Our youth is costing us games. Full stop. Their inconsistent defense is maddening. I'm once again less frustrated by the made 3s than I am the terrible defense that allows the easy baskets within 3 feet. ( Though the late rotations on 3s is a problem as well.)

Our more experienced guys are just not leading this team. Watching Obanor get beat down the court by Tanner Groves for an easy bucket made me want to kick my dog. Harmon running the team turns in to 2 on 5 and just kills our offense. Yes...his abilities helped us get a really nice comeback but it should never have gotten to that point.
Tyson can go from looking all big 12 to someone who should be sitting down. One play yesterday that totally frustrated me was Tyson running at a 3 point shooter and chased him off the spot. But ..Tyson made zero effort to get back in the play after . The player took two dribbles in and calmly hit a midrange shot while Tyson just stood beside him. I juxtaposed that effort to what I think Batcho would have done. Yuck.
The team just isn't playing with urgency for any extended piece of time. Yesterday was the third extremely winnable game in a row. They were lost in the middle halves of each game. A time when offensive flow disappears and defense and effort are spotty.

Yesterday a team came in to our house and just wanted it more. That's inexcusable. I want a team where every defensive possession is a rock fight. Yes...we did that at times very well but just not consistently.
I fully believe any of the last few teams would have drawn 3-5 more charges. Tyson is just adverse to it.

Program situation...man I'm not sure. It's a new day. Forever a coach fully knew the hierarchy. His AD, then President and then Chancellor. If those guys are on board it's fine. Certain coaches were built along those lines. ( Some like Leach wanted no authority at all. ) Today a multitude of bosses are involved. Gundy appears to be chafing at this new world and it seems to me Adams might be as well. In the NIL world of college basketball the donors are as accountable as the AD since they are absolutely required to build quality programs.
It doesn't help that a couple of times in this forum , principals of this group have essentially expressed public no confidence votes in a coach. I think we are treading on very dangerous ground here if that becomes the norm.

I realize there's a fine line between winning and losing basketball. Once saw a stat that over 85% of all NCAA basketball games are decided by 8 points or less. Two offensive possessions and two defensive possession. Beard rightfully once said that all coaches look good when the team hits jump shots. Yesterday if we shoot within 10% of our norm from 3 we win and the world looks a lot different. As fans we have to understand this principle. Coaches only do what they can do and players have to make plays. Yes...coaches are ultimately responsible and starting 0-3 is a problem. Losing two at home is an even bigger problem.
Players have to decide to leave it on the floor. They have to decide that Batchos effort doesn't stand out but is the norm and do so 100% of the time.

Just my .02 right now.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News