ADVERTISEMENT

RRC/MC Weekend Feedback (long)

ALL HANDS

Matador
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2010
Huge shout out to @Malcolm1990 @Daddyrusses @LondonRedRaider @PrevostRaider @whittb14 and so many more whose handles I don't remember for a fantastic Sunday and Monday. The logistics and donated time to events like this is staggering, and we have some selfless folks around this board pouring their hearts into seeing Tech Athletics usher in what I truly believe will be looked back on as the "Golden Era". Such a fun event with amazing, passionate Red Raiders, and I highly encourage everyone to find one of these events in your area, or help organize one. There simply isn't a better way to get a pulse on these programs, and fuel your personal fire for Tech Athletics in an otherwise uncertain environment. It was a rewarding weekend for All Hands, and it warmed my heart to receive all the positive feedback and stories about your experience with our brand, and that Red Raider support has been instrumental in the success of our brand. This was also my first time to spend quality 1:1 time with Grant and Joey, and I thought I would share some high level insights:

1) Basketball/NIL: Much has been speculated about where we rank among NIL peers, and what should we make of struggles to close on basketball targets as it relates to NIL. I came away with the impression that a key contributing factor to our current situation is the number of teams like Arkansas and Kentucky who have the pedigree, the money, and the need to re-build entire rosters. This had to create a vacuum of talent towards those programs, and drive up prices for everyone. Current price tags for productive, but non-NBA talent are now exceeding the price tags of proven, draftable Power 5 QBs. That seems unsustainable. Despite this, we have been competing with these programs and others for some of the most coveted prospects in the portal because of the growing strength of our own brand and our coach. My take away was in a normal recruiting year, we have the NIL support already in place to recruit top talent. But if what happened this year is the new normal, we need more financial support if the program is to be elevated beyond a scrappy top 5 Big 12 team, and meet the expectations that Grant has for his program. Outside of personal donations, I encourage all RR owned business of all sizes, to engage the MC to at least explore potential partnerships.

I think you can infer everything we need to know about roster attrition and current recruiting by looking at what Grant is prioritizing going forward. Size for sure. But just as important, toughness, and willingness to play unselfishly. It's impossible to envision a time where we have a shot at supplanting teams like UH without a roster that can and is willing to be the bully, and play physical. When you see the word "fit" thrown around, this is the definition. So the puzzle this staff is trying to piece together is: are they talented, are they sized right, are they willing to be uniquely physical, are they coachable, and can we afford them. That's a hell of conundrum, and if you sacrifice any of those, we won't meet our potential. I left with the impression that our list of possible fits is much longer than 3 players.

2) Football: I left feeling really good about Behren Morton' status as our day one starter. I left feeling really good about his back up being not only serviceable, but dangerous in his own right. I left with the suspicion that Will Hammond has the potential to have the best college career of any Tech QB to suit up. It feels like all eyes are on the O-line internally, and getting older there in terms of game snaps taken was a focus specifically to protect Behren. I also left feeling the days of the portal being the foundation of fixing our o-line are almost behind us, because the youth we have piled behind them are simply a different type of athlete than we have recruited around here, since Leach. That cake is almost ready.

If we can block, and our Qb stays upright, we are out of excuses not to put on an offensive show this season. The staff's excitement around Douglas, Kelly, Hudson, JC Miller, Conyers, as well as known quantities like Taj, Tharp, Eakin etc, is palpable. I can tell they are trying not to over promise, but they can't hide their expectation. We have a toy store over there.

Lastly, I've seen a number of coaches in these rah rah settings in the past. All them wanted to win, for different reasons, whether it was to stay employed, or build their resume for a better job. Everyone wants to win. They all say they love this place, and they should, this place is special. The unicorn is a coach who more than wanting to win, loathes losing. These two cannot stand to lose. They study our most painful losses, make their staff's study our losses, and it eats at them. Every Wyoming loss in football, Texas blowout in basketball, is being taken as a personal attack on them as coaches. They are seething, and fanatical about proving themselves. That's what stands out to me, and that's scalable.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News