Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
258006.jpg

Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan.
It's time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. The ground rules
are simple and easy to follow: everything reported in the Red Raider Confidential is not to be disclosed elsewhere. This feature is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the
Red Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone
does their part and keeps the discussions limited to this board.

A different angle

There’s only so many angles that you can cover on one person. Especially when that individual is entering his third season as the starting quarterback at Texas Tech University. This week, we decided to call Graham Harrell’s dad, Sam Harrell, who happens to be the head coach at Ennis High School. The Lions are coming off an opening season victory against Belton, 43-8.

Here’s our conversation with Coach Harrell.

What’s it been like to watch your son start for Texas Tech at quarterback for now the third year in a row?
SH: Being the dad of it has been wonderful. It’s been a fun ride to watch him go through the good times that they’ve had there at Tech. He’s in really fortunate situation to be surrounded with such great wide receivers and great offensive linemen. To be a quarterback among all that is fun. He’s just really enjoyed it there. He really loves Tech and Lubbock. That’s gratifying for mom and dad to know that those college years are enjoyable to him also. It’s been a fun ride and this senior season with all the expectations and everything. We’re anxiously awaiting the rest of the games this year.

Being a high school football coach and having games on Friday, are you ever able to make it to Tech games?
SH: We pretty much go to every game. We’re not going to Nevada. My wife and I were both going to go but it just seemed like too much money and we decided not to. So then I booked tickets for myself to go. But we’re moving houses inside of Ennis and it happened to be this weekend that we’re going to have to move. So I had to cancel my reservations. But last year we only missed the Iowa State game. We went to Colorado, Missouri, and all those.

Thankfully, in our high school I have some great assistant coaches that tell me to leave on Saturday and it’s great that they can handle it. They do it all for me on Saturday and I make it back on Sunday afternoon for our meetings. We kind of have the routine down and that’s how it works.

Why make such an effort to watch Graham play?
SH: When all this started taking place several years ago, it was an older coach that’s a friend of mine that I had a conversation with. I told him I’d be going to a couple of games during Graham’s career. You know, that I’d be able to go to Baylor, Texas, A&M, games like that.

He stopped me and said, “Listen, you’re going to have one window when your son is playing Division-I football and then it’ll be all over. You’re not going to be stupid and go to a couple games. You need to take time out and go to every one you can.’

I’m so glad he said that and straightened up my vision. That’s how it is, the window is closing. When Kathy and I were driving to stadium last weekend, we thought, ‘This is the fifth year that he’s been out here and it’s flown by.” If you I wouldn’t have taken the time to go see him, I’d regret all that. For the last two years and this year, we’re going to as many as we can. We go to bowl games and those have always been fun as well.

You were his head coach in high school so have you had the same player-coach relationship since he’s been at Tech and how has that developed over time?
SH: When first got to Tech, we used to talk more during the week about football and this or that. As he’s gotten older and with their system so different than ours, he doesn’t have a whole lot of football things to ask anymore. A lot of that has to do with their system being so different. We’re both in shotgun but theirs is still different. So there’s not a whole lot that he can ask me that I can answer. So we still talk football after the games when I get to see him and we’ll spend some time and talk a little bit. We don’t’ talk as much football as used to.

It’s not the coach relationship anymore. It’s more of a dad and son relationship now. It was special having him here and getting to coach him. Those were some fun years that went by quickly. You look back and think ‘wow, I don’t know if I enjoyed those and appreciated them as much as I should have.’ All of a sudden, they flew by and they went by fast. It’s been nine years since having him in high school. It doesn’t seem that long ago he was sitting here in our field house.

Haynes receives great birthday present

The time finally came this week where Texas Tech was able to offer some of the talented 2010 prospects that we’ve been telling you about all along. One of those was West Orange-Stark athlete James Haynes.

After a more than solid performance this past summer at Tech’s mini-camp, not to mention one of best verticals that’s been recorded there, Haynes received some long awaited news two days ago.

“I got an offer from Texas Tech,” said Haynes. “I got in Wednesday night. It was my birthday. I told my dad I wanted to go fishing and I saw it when I got back.

“I had already heard about it and had seen on Rivals where they checked it off but I wasn’t going to be happy till I saw it in front of me. I was getting ready to go to football practice and when I pulled off, my mom handed me a big letter. It was in a cardboard envelope and it looked nice. I didn’t know what it had in it and it was just one sheet of paper.”

Though the contents were thin, Haynes did not have a problem that the package wasn’t any larger.

“That one sheet said all it needed to say,” he laughed. “It said they offered me a full ride scholarship to Tech for football.”

The emotions overwhelmed him immediately.

“I couldn’t stop smiling. That’s all I could do was smile. I was just happy. I’ve been working and I’m glad to see it’s paying off.”

It’s a relief that not only the Red Raiders pulled the trigger first, but Haynes now knows that he will be for sure be able to go to college for free and be able to continue playing football.

“I’m just happy that somebody did it. It’s just crazy that someone would offer me right after the first day that you’re allowed to offer somebody. It showed me that I’ve been on their mind. It showed that they’ve been thinking about me. I’m just happy.”

So does the early Tech offer make the Red Raiders instantly Haynes’ top pick?

“Tech has always been one of my top schools since I was little. I’ve always loved Tech. they’re a big thing in mind.”

Wait for it...

“At the same time, I have two favorite schools. The other is LSU. I would like to go to LSU because it’s close to home because Tech is a nine hour drive. But that’s not saying I wouldn’t go there. I just want to wait to see what else I get. But Tech is definitely a major thing in my mind.”

LSU is a school that Haynes has been talking about since the first day we called him.

“I like LSU because I like what they run. I went there for their camp and I got out there and they were just going crazy and everyone was so excited and ready to play. You see that at other colleges but you don’t see them that intense. To see the entire team ready to play, it puts an impression on your mind. You know that they came out there to play and they’re not playing. That made an impression on me. I do have relatives but it’s not too much about that.”

What about a timeframe on his decision?

“I’m going to wait before I take all my official visits. When I make my decision, I want it to be final and be the right decision. I want to stick with that school for four to five years and be happy with it.”

Don’t expect an unofficial out of Haynes this season as it seems logistically impossible to him right now.

“I don’t know about a game because that’s a long drive and I have to do a lot to find a way for me to get up there and get back. I’d have to really try to plan out something. But for sure I’m going to the football camp again this year. I have another football player up there and maybe I’ll be able to spend a night or two up there. It’ll take a few days for me to meet the staff and hopefully see what they’re doing around there.”

One thing for sure about Haynes is that the offers have just begun. It was vital for Tech to show their interest and get in his mind immediately, and that’s exactly what they’ve done. This is a very special talent and he’s going to have many more offers before this is all said and done.

Even if interest comes from LSU, don’t automatically write off Tech in any way. First of all, it is a long way away from signing day. And secondly, West Stark coach Toby Foreman is a huge fan of the Red Raiders and their football program.

Year after year, Foreman has given his prospects the opportunity to show off at the Tech mini-camp and he’s always given the Tech coaching staff first class treatment.

Ask current Tech wide receiver and former West Stark player Jacoby Franks about the impact that Foreman can have on an individual.

You can bet that Foreman will be in Haynes’ ear and the fact that Tech offered first should prove to mean something in the long run as well.

Premium Q&A with Seth Littrell

How do you feel the running backs, as a unit performed Saturday night, each getting in the end zone at least once?
SL: I felt like we did some good things. Obviously there is still a lot to work on, especially watching film, seeing some of the mistakes they made. Some of that is a first game jitter, and some of that is just like baron, a guy that has not been out there in twenty games. Shannon [Woods] only really played the final part of last season, and Aaron [Crawford] really only has about five games under his belt. I thought overall they did some good things, but nothing spectacular. We expect to make those plays on the goal line. Aaron [Crawford] also made a really nice block on Baron’s long touchdown.

Do you consider stretching the ball over the goal line as a good play, is it something you teach?
SL: That was very stupid. When you are looking at the down and distance that he had between him and the end zone, it was very similar to the play several years ago where Joel Filani did the same thing and he ended up getting the ball away from his body, and he gets it stripped. We had two more plays to pop it in right there, so I really was not pleased with that play from Shannon [Woods]. He knows that I was not real pleased with it either. Hopefully we will not do it again, luckily, they made a good call in the box, but sometimes you do not always get that call.

After the game Mike Leach commented that Shannon Woods had an all-around good game, do you agree with this?
SL: Yeah, I do. Shannon is the most experienced guy in this offense, and if he just plays hard every single snap, then everything can happen like it did. Overall, I was pleased with his performance, but he knows, and I know that he could have done a lot better. Our whole team needs to get a lot better.

How has baron Batch progressed, and how do you feel you can utilize him in this offense?
SL: Baron played great; however, I do not think he played as much as he should have him and Aaron [Crawford]. Many times it was one series for our guys, for every two series from eastern Washington. Most of the time Shannon [Woods] was in there, they were like 10-12 play series, which I should have gotten some of the other guys in there. I am not taking anything away from Shannon [Woods], but Baron [Batch] had a heck of a run there at the end. The only problem that I can see with Baron [batch] right now is that he gets a little too excited when he gets the ball. Sometimes he forgets that he has an assignment.

Other than the dropped screen pass, Aaron Crawford possesses some other qualities as well, what are they?
SL: He is very powerful, and has great balance. Those are the two things that he really utilizes to take his game to that next level. You know he is not going to be the guy that breaks the long one 70 yards to the house; he is not as fast as some of the other guys. But what does impress you is when he decides to hit the hole he is very powerful, and has great balance. He showed that on that 6 yard run to the end zone.

Were there any issues with blitz pick ups against Easter Washington?
SL: Most of the night [against Easter Washington], I think that we only had to pick up two blitzes. Most of their linemen were matching 5 for 5 with our offensive line, and our guys were able to get out into the flats, because they were not bringing the linebacker. We were in the routes most of the game. Every game will be different.

What do you expect to see out of Nevada who is under the direction of a new defensive coordinator?
SL: I do not really know what to expect, because every team that we play treats us differently than the previous. Eastern Washington’s coordinator pulled something totally opposite of what we saw on film, largely impart because he was new there, and so we really had no idea until we saw it the first time. Our guys have to understand how to make adjustments quickly, and that is mainly why we struggled the other night; not being able to adjust to what they give us. Sometimes you are not going to be able to practice what they give you; we will rely on quality information coming to the sidelines, so that we can make the adjustments. The biggest thing I expect is for them to play hard, and give it 100%, they are probably not the most athletic team, but they will get after us if we are not careful.

Do you look forward to read trips to see how your guys will respond?
SL: I love playing at home, but it is always fun when you can go to someone else’s house to spoil their fun, and win. It is always satisfying when you can play well on the road, and silence the crowd. It does not really matter home or away, if we are a good team, we should be able to win home or away.

Will all three guys see playing time in Reno?
SL: Absolutely! If someone were to catch fire, and get hot for a series, I might leave them in there for an extended period of time, it just all depends on how the game flows. Shannon [Woods] had something like 35 plays in the first half, which I think is too many, and probably the reason he was a bit tired. You will se all three guys, and it will be even a lot more even keel this week.

Sirles has a top three

At one point, it looked like Tech was out of the race for Jeremiah Sirles, but with a renewed push by OL coach Matt Moore, Tech has re-emerged as a serious candidate for his services.

“I do have a top three right now, and I think it’s pretty solid,” said Sirles. “It’s Oregon, Nebraska, and Texas Tech. Well, and CU is kinda coming back into the mix as well, but the top three is Oregon, Nebraska, and Tech.”

Though Oregon is his favorite at this time, Sirles is looking to visit Tech and says there are several things keeping them on his mind.

“There are a ton of reasons I like them,” he explained. “They run the spread offense, which is great, I could play early there, and Coach Leach and Coach Moore have been awesome throughout the whole process. I definitely want to visit there if I can, along with Oregon and Nebraska.”

Though we wouldn’t say that that Tech can at all be considered a favorite for his service, it is safe to say that Tech is once again in the fight. Thanks to Moore’s pursuance of Sirles, Tech could be in a position to sneak in and steal Sirles if they have a great year and are still in need of another lineman in this class.

Premium Q&A with Troy Baker

Who's recruiting you for Tech?
TB: Coach Brian Mitchell is my area recruiter, he coaches cornerbacks I believe. Coach Matt Moore is the Offensive Line Coach that I've been in touch with several times. And at a June Football Camp in Lubbock I met with Coach Leach the next morning and had a conversation with him.

Talk about your relationship with Coach Moore a little bit. Also, how was meeting Coach Leach? That’s always a highlight for recruits.
TB: I talk with Coach Moore every two weeks I guess, if I can't get a hold of him then I definitely try to get in touch with Coach Mitchell. I just touch base with ‘em, see how things are going up there, he asks how things are going down here, the normal, I guess. I definitely felt comfortable around him at the camp as well, and in some drills that I needed work on he gave me some things that helped me correct it. That camp has really helped so far this season too. Meeting Leach was eventful. I sat in his office for about an hour and just talked, it was my brother and I, with Leach, Mitchell, and Moore. Really funny/laid back guy. The pirate statue and the gator head with the Virgina football in its mouth sitting in his office says it all! And he was wearing a hoodie in 100 degree heat, drinking Starbucks. What more is there?

Describe your career thus far. I know you're just a junior, but obviously some coaches have seen enough in one year of playing time to give you a full ride, so tell me a little bit about what makes you special. I know you probably don't like to brag, but hey, be proud of what you've earned.
TB: Well.. as far as awards go, I was 2nd Team Offensive Tackle in District 17-3A last year as a Sophomore(District included Connally, China Spring, La Vega, Robinson, Lorena and Gatesville). Also, I was Super Centex Honorable Mention Offensive Line last year as a Sophomore. I started all 10 games at Left Tackle my sophomore season, and allowed one sack all year(in my second game). I think the fact that playing basketball in previous years has helped develop my feet. Overall, for 300 pounds I'm a pretty quick guy when it comes our off season agility drills competing against skill guys. From what I've been told, from Coach Mitchell, Moore, and Leach, is that they really liked the fact that I was coachable, I view myself as a leader for my varsity team and accept that role full on, and my overall character. One huge thing that I take pride in is my grades as well, my parents have always pushed it and that's cause me to over-achieve. My high school uses a 5.0 GPA (basically a 5.0 for us is a 100, such as a 4.0 is for most other high schools and universities as well), and I've got a 5.26 GPA, in Advanced/Honors classes, and ranked 3rd overall in my class.

I forgot about you going to Tech's camp, talk a little bit about that. What were your impressions- favorable, unfavorable, etc. What were your favorite things about the trip, etc.?
TB: Good impression, definitely a lot of fun and learned a lot that I'm using this season. I stayed with my brother, as he was still at his apartment being it was June 7th. The camp went well, I did alright agility/speed testing wise. I definitely felt comfortable around the coaches. When we broke off into individual I was with Coach Moore and I believe it was Coach Brandon Jones (lineman that played not too long ago). The offensive line drills I felt very comfortable doing, and was told I did a good job in. The next morning is when I was asked to head up to the facility for a meeting with Coach Mitchell, Coach Moore, and Coach Leach. I got a tour of the Football Facility, Marsha Sharpe center, Jones Stadium Pressbox/Skybox, and the apartments nearby that most players stay at these days.

What are you wanting to major in?
TB: Right now, it's looking like Business Management or Sports Management. I definitely would love to coach college football, but the first step is playing though.

Are you still playing basketball, or have you transitioned to the gridiron fulltime?
TB: I think I will play basketball this year, and throw shot again as well, but after this year I'll definitely be focused on just football.

Do you have current specs? i.e. height, weight, bench max, squat, 40, etc.
TB: Currently, 6'7". 299 lbs as of last week. My bench and squat have gone done a lot because of 2-a-days and football, as we don't get to do real lifting too often. I can still bench 275 and squat 400 with ease on both though. Those are low numbers I know, but they'll be a lot different a year from now. Also, I'm just 16, turned it in July, so I'm young for my grade. 40 time is 5.18 last spring, ran a 5.33 this summer at the Tech camp though. 400 time 68 seconds. Pro Agility I've gotten a 4.4 when i was in perfect off season shape last year, but normally a 4.5 or 4.6.

I know you described yourself as being "softly committed" to Tech, but elaborate on that a little bit. What does that mean exactly? Is there a school or a group of schools you would de-commit in favor of, etc.?
TB: Well I wouldn't say there's a set school or group of schools I'd de-commit for, I said that to be as light in my wording as possible. For the sole reason of the fact that it's just the beginning of my Junior year, and I want to make sure I view every door before I close it, so I don't want to have any schools automatically think there's no point, because there is, I'm still open to anything.

Sorry if this is touchy, I'm just trying to make sure I have a good feel for what you're thinking here. As far as the "soft" commitment goes, a) on a percentage scale, how committed are you to Tech? b) Do the coaches at Tech know that you consider yourself a "soft" verbal (and if so, how do they feel about that), and c) what was your reasoning behind committing now as opposed to just waiting out the process if there is an element of uncertainty in your commitment.
TB: As far as the Tech coaches go, they have me penciled in for 2010 and that's that. Nothing is official until I sign, but I am leaning heavily towards Tech. I know that, they know that, and it is what it is. I don't think I want to give a percentage, just because things can change, but right now, it's Tech. By me not doing that, it allows me to focus on this season and that's my main priority as I still have to get the job done here. I'll be looking to make it 100% in the Winter/Spring though.

Cobb will enroll for Summer I

Though there was a small chance that Daniel Cobb might be able to finish high school early and enroll at Tech this spring, that will not be the case. Cobb will finish out his full senior year at Killeen Ellison, but promises he’ll be in Lubbock as soon as he graduates.

Russell still thinking about staying in-state

Several weeks ago, four-star point guard Nick Russell told us that he was roughly “50-50” on whether or not he’d leave the state of Texas for college. At the time, Texas Tech was essentially the only in-state school on his list, which isn’t the case any longer. Russell was kind enough to break down where he’s standing today.

“It’s still about 50-50,” he said. “Out of the in-state schools, obviously Tech is the biggest one for me. SMU has been around for a while, but I’m just now starting to really look at them. TCU is in there too, but they just hopped in- they’re mainly up there because they’re in-state.”

“Out of the Big 12 schools in Texas, I have offers from all three,” he said. “But I’m really only looking at Tech. The other two just aren’t the best situations for me, in my opinion.”

Then, in closing, Russell took the time to name the three teams that are recruiting him the hardest.

“I would have to say that’s a tie between UCLA, Tech, and K-State,” he explained.

That last answer should give you an idea of how important Russell is to this staff and it has to be considered a great thing that Russell still has Tech as high as he does.

Davis looking elsewhere

This staff is leaving no stone unturned in their efforts to produce a stellar recruiting class. Inevitably, not every prospect will return Tech’s interest, much like last year’s incursion into big-time, nationally known WR prospects, but eventually, one of these gambles is bound to pay off. And the best part is that there’s no downside. So a recruit says no. Who cares? The staff is out a few phone calls- no big deal.

One such prospect we’ve spoken with this week is four-star tailback Knile Davis, whom the Red Raiders called on September 1st.

“The Tech coaches called me and basically asked me if I’d be interested in coming on a visit,” he said. “I told ‘em I’d keep ‘em informed, but I’d have to think about it. They’re not really a school I’m considering right now, but it was great to hear from them anyways.

Though he isn’t interested at this point, it’s sure nice to know that Tech’s coaches aren’t afraid to go big. It’s a long season, and who knows, maybe the seed planted by Tech’s staff this week will bear fruit at some point. And again, if not, no big deal.

A look at Southlake Carroll

The Dragons are filled with atleast five or six Division-I prospects this year and one of those is senior quarterback Kyle Padron, who is currently committed to SMU. Many know about junior sensation defensive end Jackson Richards. Of course, Richards was the first commit for Tech of the 2010 class. He had a great game last Saturday against Plano West. Padron has obviously watched Richards many times so we got an inside look as to Richards’ role on this SLC team.

“Jackson really is a leader,” said Padron. “He started last year. He’s one of the few guys we had returning from last year that started on both sides of the ball. He knows what it’s like so we listen to him. He’s a veteran. He’s basically showing the ropes to the new guys onto the team.

“We have all new tackles and over the summer he really showed them their proper technique and he really is a leader. Even though he’s not a senior. That’s one thing that we focus on is that no matter what year you are, you’re still a leader. Everyone is allowed to talk. He’s definitely a big part of our team.”

Another ’10 prospect that Tech fans need to keep an eye on linebacker Cade Foster. The 6-foot-1, 225-pounder not only hits like a freight train, but he also has one of the best legs in the country.

Every extra point was through the uprights with no problem. Every kickoff was either five yards deep into the end zone, or out of the end zone.

On the opening kick of the second half, Foster kicked the ball seven yards behind the goal line. The returner brought it to the 27 yard line, where Foster met him head on and absolutely plastered the ball carrier to the turf. It was a monster hit on his own kick.

“He’s very versatile,” agreed Padron. “He’s a kicker and can boom the ball as well. He knocked it out of the end zone several times and that’s a regular deal for him.”

Something that also needs to be known is how physically built Foster is. At his size, he benches 340-pounds and squats 500-pounds.

“He’s probably he strongest guy on our team. He’s a real specimen. He’s really gifted and a great teammate. He’s been on varsity since he was a freshman and he’s seen everyone work before him so he’s really stepping into his role really nice.”

This Southlake Carroll team should have another special year. It will be fun to watch these prospects over the next two seasons.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential,
you can visit the archives by clicking here.

Thank you for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!
This post was edited on 9/5 2:16 AM by A. Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News