ADVERTISEMENT

Red Raider Confidential (March 27th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan: time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well … confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Wright looking to visit Tech?

Tech fans across Raider Nation were ecstatic last week as they learned about Arkansas wide receiver Jarious Wright and his interest in Mike Leach’s program. As we told you earlier, Wright is quite the speedster, having run a sub 4.4 forty-yard dash recently. Wright told us that he might not mind putting that speed to use in Tech’s offense in the near future.

“Well, at Texas Tech, I would be going in as a receiver,” he said. “And they throw the ball an awful lot, so why wouldn’t I want to look there?”

Wright also mentioned that his home state Razorbacks are recruiting him in a similar, yet still different role.

“Arkansas, they’re recruiting me as an athlete,” he explained. “They want me to return kicks and all that too.”

When asked if he grew up rooting for Arkansas, Wright replied, “Yes sir, I did.”

He then continued, saying, “But that doesn’t mean they’re the favorite. I’m not ready to start ranking them just yet.”

However, when we asked how his recruitment would shake out if it were over today, Wright reluctantly chose a top three of sorts:

“Well I guess right now, it would be Arkansas, but only because I know the most about them at this point. Then I would say Oklahoma, because I used to follow them when I was little too. Then I guess I would cut it off at three, with Texas Tech being the third. I really like that offense.”

So will he visit Texas Tech?

“Oh, yes sir, definitely, I’m going to visit out there. I don’t know when, but I will.”

Right now, Arkansas has to be the prohibitive favorite for Wright’s services, but that doesn’t mean that Tech won’t be able to get a shot with him.

Curry still actively recruiting

While Kristy Curry currently has a few prospects signed and a few committed to sign in the late period she isn’t done for 2007. Expect Curry and her staff to sign as many as three more players in the late period, all from the junior college ranks. Also, expect one or as many as two of those prospects to have three years left to play.

Curry obviously can’t talk about specifics but has gone on record with us about how excited she is with the two junior commitments she currently has. Post player Jordan Barncastle of Martins Mill and guard Lindie Kimbro of Hays.

Kimbro is the newest commitment of the two and is someone that can really score. She averaged 26 points per game and over 10 boards and three assists.

While some might be a bit concerned with the many junior college players being taken just know that these two high schoolers will follow it. Curry has no choice at this stage to get talent wherever she can and the junior colleges are where it is at this late stage.

The Notebook

When defensive tackle ’07 signee Bobby Agoucha came to practice last week, it was obvious that he was putting himself in a position to learn a lot over five days he was in town. But what some don’t know is that the 6-foot-4 200 pound lineman also received information that can continue to benefit him until arriving this summer.

It’s been well documented at this point that Tech former defensive tackle Chris Hudler has been lending a hand to Coach Ruff and the football program by helping out at practices as a part of his credited internship.

“Chris is going to write me up a playbook showing me the plays so I can be studying and stuff while I’m at home before I get up here,” said Agoucha on last Wednesday afternoon.”

At the next practice, Agoucha walked out onto the field turf with a white notebook in his left hand. We asked the high school senior if that was the book that Hudler had made.

“Yeah, he gave it to me before practice. I’ve looked around it a little bit by myself and Richard Jones so far. It has different formations and schemes and explains how the system works.”

We asked Hudler about the notebook as well.

“I told him about all our plays and I told him the best way you’re going to play and the fastest way to get on the field is to know the stuff and know the formations. I’m going to draw up a notebook for him so he can be ahead of the curve when he gets back.”

If Agoucha is as dedicated to learning away from Lubbock as he was during his week of spring break, then expect this young man to make a quick contribution next year.

What’s holding Harris back?

Last week, corner back Jordan Harris went through the measurement drills at Abilene High. Here were some of his numbers:

Bench max.: 275 pounds
Squat max.: 370 pounds
Incline: 240 pounds
Hand cling: 225 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.45 seconds

The 6-foot-1, 183-pound junior has yet to receive his first offer but lists that as one of his future goals.

“My first goal is probably just to do well this year and get a lot better and progress into the season and try to earn a scholarship. My grades are real high so that I can get this SAT out of the way and go play at a D-I college.

There are a few attributes that Harris has that he feels help him excel.

“I think my speed and aggressiveness are important and strength wise, just being out there and being able to bully around the wide receiver some.”

The question is what is keeping Harris from getting offers?

“My coaches tell me that I need to play more comfortable with myself and not worry about making mistakes all the time. When I get to thinking too much about what I’m doing, then I don’t play as hard as I can. I’m just working on getting my confidence up.”

It’s been noted before that Harris’ older brother Shawon Harris is a member of the Tech track team. Jordan made the two and a half hour drive two weeks ago to visit his brother for his spring break.

“It’s a good town up there. There’ s a lot of construction going on but the campus looks nice and it’s a good feeling for a college town, it’s not too busy like the Metroplex. I can picture myself going up there and getting my degree and playing football. It’s a lot more organized.”

Harris should be even more productive for the Eagles this season, playing his first full year at the corner position.

Is Katoa going to be a Longhorn?

Two weeks ago a story came out stating that Utah linebacker Lynn Katoa was going to visit Texas. The Horns slanted story made it sound as if Katoa was a done deal if he were to visit Austin. With Tech seeming to be right in the midst of things, we wanted to find out from Katoa himself if Tech still had a fighting chance.

So where exactly has it left it with the Longhorns, who have done all but off the 6-foot-2, 220-pound linebacker?

“I’ve been talking to the coaches and stuff about coming out to visit. But yeah, it’s probably 80%. But before I commit, I probably need to go visit the place first, but I like it a lot at Texas. When I talked to them I was pretty excited, they’re like my child hood dream team growing up.”

We told Katoa that we then presumed there was an 80% chance he would commit to the Longhorns on the spot?

“You know, I already thought about it and before my mindset was that I would commit if they did offer. But talking to some people, I have decided that I need to see all my options first. A lot of people have talked to the coaches about if they did offer me but I need to see my options first before I commit. I know that there are a lot of articles saying that I’ll commit if they offer, but I need to see all my options.”

Katoa was then asked if one of the main reasons he would look at his other options would be because of playing time and placement on the depth chart.

“I’m afraid of their depth chart and not playing. I want to go to a school where I can play at least two or three years. That’s why I’m taking this recruiting thing a little slower. When I first heard Texas I was excited, but I’m going to take the recruiting process.”

With a visit planned for UT’s spring game this weekend, would Tech still be considered in the future for Katoa?

“I’m hoping to swing by Texas Tech when I am visiting my family in Texas and see how they are, and then Colorado and Texas.”

Stating that his top five is Virginia, Texas Tech, Colorado, Oklahoma, and Texas, Katoa added that the Red Raiders would “probably” get a visit from him during their spring game on April 14th.

When the Katoa situation gets broken down, it looks like he is was overwhelmed by Texas’ interest and we would be surprised if he were to walk out of Austin this weekend after observing their spring game without being on the Longhorns commitment list.

If he were not to commit to UT, still keep in mind that USC is still showing interest and he does have a good friend that currently plays for the Trojans as well.

While our gut feeling is still that Katoa will end up back in the Lone Star State, it will be hard to keep him away from the city streets of Austin, TX if UT does go through with their word and extends an offer to him this weekend.

When did Ray’s mom play at Tech?

There has been a lot of questions asked about Katy Taylor ’08 basketball prospect Corbin Ray and the details to when his mom was a Lady Raider at Tech.

Vickie Teal-Ray is originally from New Deal and transferred to Tech for her junior and senior year. She played for Coach Sharpe during the ’83-’84 and ’84-’85 seasons. Teal-Ray was a post player and wore number 52.

Whitlock’s results from state

We reported last week about ’07 defensive tackle signee Colby Whitlock receiving second place honors in power lifting two weeks ago. What we didn’t present were his numbers:

Bench: 320 pounds
Dead life: 580 pounds
Squat: 550 pounds

For the power lifting enthusiasts, the weight lifted might sound a little low. But Whitlock makes a great point to those used to observing power lifting in the state of Texas.

“In Texas you can wear the compression shirts and the squat suit and you can get anywhere from 50 to a 100 pound spike in bench and squat. So in Oklahoma the numbers are a lot lower. I don’t know why they won’t let us wear that stuff, but we can’t even have on tight shorts or anything. In Texas, they take it a lot more serious than they do in Oklahoma. But of course in Texas, no one really does wrestling.”

Wrestling is another sport that Whitlock dominated in last month, finishing the season with a 28-1 record and winning first place at state with ease.

“Being a state champion is something that no one can take away from you but it’s bittersweet because other than that one match this year I really didn’t get challenged. I enjoyed winning it but I wish I would’ve had a little more competition at the state tournament.”

Whitlock won’t have to worry about having enough competition in Lubbock next year as he has already begun looking at strength and conditioning coach Bennie Wylie’s workout plan while still resorting to his usual routine as well.

“I’ve been working out during the week. I’ve been trying to put together the two workouts and combine the two and do some of the new stuff and some of the stuff I have been doing. Some of the stuff I’ve seen so far is that he likes doing a lot of reps and that kind of thing. There wasn’t anything really drastic in between them, just the structure of his was a little different, but there wasn’t anything real big.”

Whitlock admits that there is one aspect of his workout that might need a little work before moving to West Texas in June.

“Probably my running, the running is going to kill me. Just like anything, you’ll get used to it though ... hopefully.”

Currently standing tall at 6-foot-3, 269-pounds, Whitlock looks forward to contributing next season and will officially be a Red Raider and get in on part of the action during the first summer session.

Big Bird

As we have mentioned many times thus far, one of the observers at last Saturday’s practice was ’07 Tech signee linebacker Bront Bird.

“After just arriving, the first thing I noticed was how much the speed of the game increased from high school and the caliber of athletes. High school students are high school students, but all these guys are playing football at the next level for a good reason.”

The one day visit gave Bird an opportunity to weight out his competition for next season and the future.

“It was good seeing how I stacked up size wise and speed wise with the players in my position.”

Even though Bird is a few months away from moving to Lubbock permanently, the talented projected outside linebacker was able to take a little more from practice because of the coaching had already received.

“Having watched film on my official visit with Coach Setencich helped a little bit because I understood what my position was doing and who to watch. If that would not have happened, I wouldn’t have known who to watch.

Meanwhile, back home in Odessa Bird has been opening up the workout notebook that Bennie Wylie had sent out a few weeks ago.

“It hits everything and there is no body part left off. As far as different from high school workout, it’s just so much more structured. I had been working with a personal trainer who was a power lifter and knew the proper techniques but there are a lot of guys that don’t know that. They sent a DVD that broke down every lift for workouts and showed you exactly what to do and not do. You got to appreciate that.”

There is one thing off the field that Bird has been concentrating on as well.

“The main thing with me is that I’ve been eating so much and putting on weight. Hopefully I can gain 15 pounds before I get down there. My official visit was January 19th and fully clothed I weighed 203 but now in just shorts I’m weighing 214 pounds. That was just since January 19th, so by the time I get down there with as much meals and calories I’m getting in a day (6,000), hopefully I can get at least 10 more pounds and that will help out a lot.”

The process of gaining weight starts every morning for Permian star.

“My breakfast is grueling,” laughed Bird. “I eat 12 eggs - 6 regular and 6 egg whites, a protein shake, and a bowl of oatmeal. It’s pretty rough that early in the morning. Every morning, it doesn’t get any different.”

Renegades taking from Tech

There are many former Red Raiders on the new Lubbock Arena Football (AF2) team: Preston Hartfield, Joey Hawkins, Jeff Lofton, and Keith Toogood. Add Ken Scott to that list as well as the newest member on the Renegades roster.

There is a possibility that Chris Hudler could be another soon addition to the Renegades, as we will keep you all updated.

It looks as if former Tech wide receiver Joel Filani’s older brother Josh Filani will also be playing with the Renegades this summer.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here[/URL].

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News