ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Random thoughts that nobody asked for

B. Golan

Noted Texas Tech Recruiting Journalist
Staff
Aug 21, 2016
DFW
- That atmosphere was awesome tonight. Packed house, LED’s were badass, student section was loud. That was big time stuff.

- Tyler Shough battled his ass off. People will remember the bad because it cost you the game, but he also made some Herculean plays with both his arm and his legs.

- You can’t have your 6th year senior quarterback make the mistakes he did. It’s inexcusable. Especially the fumble in the red zone and first interception, following the blocked punt. Momentum killer.

- Zach Kittley called a good game. 7.1 yards per pass and 5.4 yards per rush will get it done most Saturday’s.

- The pass rush was non-existent tonight. I don’t know whether to credit Oregon’s offensive line or if Tech’s front 4 was overrated. Probably a combo of both. I think Oregon had a really big, physical and talented offensive line. I’m curious to see if the lack of pass rush continues in Morgantown in two weeks. Need them to step up.

- The tight ends made an impact today. Tharp and Cupp combined 5 for 43 and a touchdown. Not bad.

- Bralyn Lux had a rough day against some really good receivers. I still think he’s a good player and that’ll play out this season.

- The linebackers appeared to play much better tonight than in Wyoming. Ben Roberts and Wesley Smith were flying around out there. Promising.

- Gino Garcia missed from 56 into the wind, but he nailed one from 45 going the same way. I think he’s going to be reliable. Tech’s asked him to kick multiple 50+ yarders so far. Not ideal for kicking percentages.

- On Oregon’s go ahead field goal drive you had both true freshman #27 Brenden Jordan and #28 Jordan Sanford on the field. Baskerville was out, McCarty is not yet eligible (or ineligible). Tough spot to be in but that experience will pay off.

- I wasn’t mad at the decision to go for it on 4th and 2. I would have liked to see Shough have a pass option on the play if the run was stuffed up.

- Two really big reviews in the game.

First the Bradley catch to end the first half. He clearly caught it. Tech spiked the ball before the review. They somehow took it back a play. I would have liked to see Tech spike it again, and give the field goal unit ample time to line up vs a running clock.

Did Malik Dunlap catch that interception? From what they showed in the stadium I sure thought so. That really sucks that they didn’t give it to him. Huge play in the game.

- 0-2 is 0-2 and nobody expected to be here. They’ll beat Tarleton by 60 but nobody will care. It’s going to be a long two weeks before the next meaningful game @ West Virginia. I still think this team can compete with anyone in the Big 12, and they are going to win a lot of games this season. Stick with ‘em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News