ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Ramirez: Most complete game from Tech so far led to win over K-State pres. by Sideline Provisions

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Happy Super Bowl Sunday to all who celebrate. Though the most important football game of the season is tonight, that will not stop me from discussing the madness that was last night’s Tech basketball game.

This was, in my opinion, the most complete game that the Red Raiders played all season. I asked MA about this after the game, and he agreed with me in terms of the defensive performance. I feel like it all came full circle against K-State last night because you finally saw Tech come out of the intermission with the lead and do the damn thing to finish it off.
Several factors played into this performance.

The biggest was the play of Lamar Washington. After the blunder that he put on the floor in Stillwater the other night, Washington brought forth one hell of a response. Five steals from him was huge in getting the win. 13 points also on a rather efficient 4-7 shooting was a great touch. Even with being cast to the bench, Washington played arguably the biggest role last night. The team needed someone else to contribute offensively besides Harmon/Tyson/Obanor. Not only did they get that out of Lamar, but you saw some big plays made by pretty much everyone at some point, whether it be buckets or boards or plays defensively. It all clicked.

Fardaws was back, much to my surprise, and wearing Nike shoes nonetheless. His stats aren't going to wow anybody or lead anybody to believe he was the reason Tech won, but his contributions were there and he didn't do much to hurt the team. He looked a lot better physically than the last time he graced the floor, and my only concern is he's a defensive liability on the perimeter with every team having quick guards. You obviously don't want him switched onto a guard outside, but it happens sometimes, and that can get you hurt.

Speaking of defense, Tech played one of their more dominant games which was surprising considering how other teams offenses’ have had success against the Red Raiders this season. 23 turnovers were the defining factor and forcing Markquis Nowell into shooting 5-19 from the field was the other major key. Let’s also not forget that Tech held Keyontae Johnson to single-digits, a feat no other team had been able to accomplish all season.

This win has got to be largely attributed to the defensive performance. Through times when the offense lulled, like early in the second half, the defense held solid for a majority of the game. Even with being slightly outrebounded, the team would rally to second-chance attempts and contest shots consistently.
It’s a quick turnaround with Texas coming into Lubbock tomorrow. Last time it was the infamous “collapse” game (haha), we’ll see if Tech takes care of business at home.

Owned and operated by Red Raiders, Sideline Provisions offers one of a kind items you can’t find anywhere else in the world. They are the original creator of the Guns Up logo and are the only place to get Dirk West original pieces.

Sideline Provisions

unnamed.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News