ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Rambling thoughts the morning after Adams resigns

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Well, the aftermath of last night’s events makes the game seem like a year ago, a slow death to the season that was just really hard to watch. I don’t want to really talk about that game because there is a much bigger elephant in the room and there's a ton of unknowns around the situation right now, but we're going to do our best to connect the dots over the next few days or the coming weeks, whenever there is an answer, we will keep you informed.

Mark Adams stepped down as the head coach of Texas Tech basketball after a week, and season, full of disastrous and truly horrific rumors. Possibly ending the Chris Beard influenced era of Texas Tech basketball, with, hopefully, a national coaching search to come.

Adams stepping down was likely best for both parties, with it being reported that most of the current roster would not be returning if Adams were to stay. It will be interesting to see if there is a buyout of some sort, but with the wording of the press release, I really doubt that there will be, but that’s just speculation.

There are a ton of angles to work through with this, first of all where the higher ups go with a head coach, how much money they can spend on said coach, what the assistants decide to do, what the new head coach will do with the assistants, and arguably more important, what the current roster decides to do ahead of the portal opening.

I don’t expect this to move particularly fast but something will have to be done with the portal opening on the 13th, Tech will want to have a plan in place for the future of the program. With so much uncertainty in the coming days, there are a ton of decisions to be made for everyone involved with the program, and you just have to get this one right.

Let’s talk money for a moment, Beard was making just shy of 5 million while Adams was in the 2 million range until 2026-27. There’s the money to be spent, but once again this is likely the most important hire in the history of Tech basketball. So much is at stake.

Throwing out names of coaches at the wall seemingly on a whim is not something that I want to do but there are quite a few options that have been mentioned on here that are likely on the top of the list. I truly wonder how big of a swing Tech will take. Jerome Tang would be the guy I want if you can poach him from K-State.

With that being said, I’m going to work through a few personal opinions on what the staff should do with a ton of decisions to make, that I have absolutely no control over.

Most Important Assistant to keep in the fold: Al Pinkins

I wanted to talk about this, since I believe it is massively important to keep Pinkins in the fold. Based on his relationship with Jason Jackson, the ’23 recruit, and especially his son who is a highly ranked recruit down the road at Frenship. Pinkins has great relationships with the current roster, and I believe some continuity would be a massive positive, obviously it would come down to the new coach’s decision, though.

Most Important Player to keep in the fold: Jaylon Tyson

Tyson has super-star potential at the collegiate level, in my opinion, and should be almost the No. 1 priority for the new head coach to re-recruit to Texas Tech. There’s going to be a ton of guys hitting the portal, including one in Fardaws Aimaq already, but hopefully Tyson will stay in the fold.

There’s going to be a ton of posts and discussions that we will have on here and we will do our best to keep y’all updated the best that we can. Hope y’all enjoyed me working through my own thoughts this morning. More as we know it…

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News