ADVERTISEMENT

Quick thoughts on last night's game at Texas

Rolf C

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Jun 30, 2004
Super busy day today around the @Rolf C household so not a lot of time to flesh this out.

Lost by 6 at TCU.
Lost by 3 vs. KU.
Lost by 5 vs. OU.
Lost by a zillion at ISU.
Lost by 2 at UT.

The short of it that's five straight losses to open conference play, something we are definitely not used to seeing. I thought they played ok at TCU, I thought they played ok vs. KU. I didn't think they played very well against OU, and they stunk it up in Ames. Last night was their best game of conference play by a long way, and by extension their best game of the season to date. That's how I see it.

I just don't think the sky is falling. This team is close, and to me it's really interesting to watch them game by game and see what kind of progress they are making. I think they've been stuck in a gear and last night was a new gear, seemingly a better gear. Was it simply the health of Aimaq? I tell you what, that dude brings a new look to the floor.

They played hard. I was ready to bench the starters minus Isaacs and play everyone else for a game because I have not been very happy with the other starters from an effort perspective. Their effort has been substandard in my eyes. But, last night was a new story in the effort department.

This team does not seem to be very far from pretty good. I see chat on the board from some calling for Adams' head. To me that's incredibly short sighted and I'm not in agreement what that mindset at all. There are a zillion reasons some teams are better than other teams. Sometimes teams just need time to come together, and I'm in this boat. Some groups take longer than others to bond and generate high level output. Sometimes a group never comes together. This Texas Tech group in my eyes seems to be trying to find the best dynamic, and I'm encouraged by the play last night coming off the performance at Ames. In a two game set the play is trending up. Red Raiders host Baylor on Tuesday night, I tell you what I would not want to be Baylor for this game. I'm of the opinion that this Texas Tech team is close. I'm hoping that Las Vegas makes Tech a home dog.

It will take a fairly mighty run from this point for Texas Tech to be on the good side of the NCAA bubble. I don't think that's very likely even if Texas Tech does turn the corner I think they are close to turning. At that point they could be a good enough team to play in the tourney and not get selected. Really tough to overcome 0-5 start to conference play. They've made a tough row to hoe. I want them to beat Baylor on Tuesday so I'll feel like the vision in my head is legit. Then I think they beat Texas, TCU, ISU, West Virginia, Okie Lite at home. I don't have a handle on the K State home game yet, will know more about that next Saturday. The selection committee is going to look at that, but more closely they are going to look at road games against other tourney teams and other good teams. Where is the quality road win? At Kansas State and and Kansas are the top two left on the road, and frankly maybe the only two left on the road. The Red Raiders are precariously close to needing to win one of those, and lose another home game they'll need to win both.

Tough season for sure. Not what anyone wanted or likely expected. I think the right leadership is in place and I think Texas Tech has a great core for the future.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News