ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Buying an Engagement Ring - Negotiating ---- **1/31/23 Update**

Centex48

🌵👆🏼🌵
Gold Member
Aug 8, 2016
**Update**

Apologies for the Facebook-esque post but I feel like I should update since I chose to start this thread. I popped the question on the beach in Punta Cana Saturday evening and things went perfectly. She’s obsessed with the ring, so I appreciate all of the advice y’all gave on here. I don’t care what anyone says, RRS is truly the best.

Side note - Texas Tech basketball hasn’t lost a game since I’ve been engaged. 👀👀
I’m not saying there’s a correlation, but also that’s 100% the reason. Wreck ‘Em!

f7XYWtd.jpg

SANPpPk.jpg

Well boys, it's time to pull the trigger. I'm the last of my friends to take the leap, but I couldn't be more certain. I got v lucky that a beautiful Chicago girl wanted to do her medical residency somewhere warm and got matched in Texas. Her only faults are that she has extremely expensive taste in engagement rings and she makes fun of me for spending so much time on "RedRocketSports.com". Nevertheless, it's time to lock it up.

My girlfriend and I went to Diamonds Direct (among other places) last week and they called us back in yesterday to show us "ones they found that matched our criteria". Of course every one they showed us was at least $5k/20% more expensive than the price range I had given them, which was strategic because she was with me. I've been texting with the manager and let him know I refuse to budge on my budget, and he's not willing to move either on the one we liked. That surprised me because my two best friends bought through Diamonds Direct and got 10% and 20% lower than their initial offer, respectively, after negotiating, and those were significantly less expensive diamonds. I have dealt with many sleazy car & hot tub salesmen, and all of them were pretty quick to come down from their stupidly marked up goods, so I didn't expect this guy to be so firm on the price. I haven't named a price I'd be willing to accept yet and maybe he'll be more amenable when I do, but that leads me to my questions.

1. What can I expect while negotiating? Is there going to be wiggle room to get a lower price, and if so, how much should I expect? Is it just a sellers' market right now and I'm SOL?

2. Would it be better/more cost-effective to go through a private local jeweler? What can I expect going this route? Fewer options, longer wait time, etc.?

I appreciate any advice y'all can give and I apologize for the novel. Posting pics because I abide by the rules and I've already been doxxed a good 6x on here anyway.

K7hretT.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News