ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Behren's Name

CoupDeTa

Matador
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2011
LBK
Saw this on twitter. Not sure on the validity, but it's a story that's for sure. it was the first time I'd heard this. To think I was amused Jett Duffey's name had two T's in it like TTU...

Amusing happening at church yesterday. The priest, a diehard Texas Tech fan, was marveling at the play of Tech's new quarterback Behren Morton. Then he asked, "Behren is a unique name, wonder how he got that name?" Since Behren is named after one of my best friends, I felt quite qualified to explain the whole heartening story.

Behren's father is James Morton, who was a great player at West Texas State. James married a girl named Megan Kinen, one of the best basketball players they ever had at West Texas State. Tragically, Megan died in her sleep of a stroke a few years later. It not only left James devastated but he had an infant daughter to raise. This is when Jerry Behrens, a former coach at Odessa Permian and West Texas State, stepped up to the plate for James in a way that is just about unheard of. He not only offered financial aide and emotional support, moreover, needed a head coaching job in the worst way, and Jerry, using limitless connections he had in the Texas Panhandle, helped find him one. James was so touched by Jerry's overt kindness he vowed to name his first son after Jerry. Thus the name "Behren" Morton, Tech's next Mahomes!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News