ADVERTISEMENT

Odessa/ Midland Tech aviators

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
I have been invited to a sailplane gathering in Marfa later this summer. I want to relate to folks something they may not know.

At a special time in the late 50, 60 and 70 Odessa
Schlemeyer airfield was home of some of the greatest sailplane pilots of all time. The field was named after the FIRST American Airline pilot hired!

Google if you are interested in Sailplane pilot Al Parker and the sailplane SISU. The wonderful SISU was made in Tarrant County by Conviar engineer and was first to fly 1000 km in USA out of Odessa. Al Parker taught sports car designer and racer, Jim Hall to fly sailpanes.

Next look up Walley Scott, Also a long distance and contest flyer. His son Wally Jr , a Red Raider and Permian Panther, was almost as good and won the race over 2 weeks all across the country years ago.

I was told that in the Summers, years ago the Germans would ship their sailplanes to Odessa for the summer. Hitlers favorite jet test pilot, Hanna Reitch was there often.

Another Permian Panther wide receiver flew about 400 miles when he was 14 well into Colo. Gary Evans, retired Sr. United Capt.

Last year the longest flight in sailplane in a 5 state area, was by Paul Stiles, ex back up center for Spikes Midland Lee state champs.

The ones that are still alive hang out at a new club I and a few others helped to form in Hamilton Tex. Looking for new members and tow pilots. Come down for a ride if you are in the area. We have a glider simulator to help folks learn. In our club in Houston we had 5 astronauts.

Biron Batch Uncle , a doctor in Midland ran a glider operation in Midland area until he got to old. He called one of our members recently and when he called back he was in operating room!

2 of our members are world class. Both qualified for US World Team several years ago. One member who passed was Chief Checkout pilot for the Branniff Concord. Another was most senior, number one out of LA to Asia.

Many of our members and other club to are airline pilots and ex military pilots. We have trained several local teens who went on to get power and multi engine ratings.

Then they can have some real fun on the weekends. Littlefield had a small operation for a few years, I flew a contest there and was at 16000 ft over Petersburg.!

There is a commercial operation in Marfa if you are down that way and would like to have some fun. There is also a commercial operation in Morarity New Mex.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News