ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: Notes from Rivals Camp Dallas

B. Golan

Noted Texas Tech Recruiting Journalist
Staff
Aug 21, 2016
DFW
Hey guys, yesterday was a super long day with Rivals Camp at Coppell HS. We started at 8 AM and finished up around 3:30 PM. Got home and crashed, woke up at 8 PM, watched my Suns get eviscerated for the fourth game in a row and went to bed. Anyways, wanted to put together some notes from the camp.

The three-star lineman from Oklahoma competed at both right tackle and right guard in the camp and did pretty well. Not the biggest guy but he's still just in his sophomore year and has room to grow.

Kester is very, very high on Texas Tech. He visited for a spring practice a couple weeks ago. It was his fourth or fifth visit to Tech. He's known Dave Martin for years now, and getting back on campus was a good opportunity for him to meet new OL coach Clay McGuire.

It's a long way until 2026 but if Tech keeps pursuing I expect them to be towards the top for Kester as we move forward.

2026 Klein (TX) HS offensive lineman Nicolas Robertson visited Tech back on March 29th. The three-star guard said Tech "felt like home, really" and mentioned his strong connection with Joey McGuire. Robertson comes from the high school as Mason Tharp.

The main competition here early on is TCU, Houston and Texas A&M.

Ojo is already a national recruit, but he does have an interesting Tech tie as he's close with Caleb Rogers, who also played at Mansfield Lake Ridge. Said Rogers was "his guy" and that Rogers let him know Tech would be a great place for his development.

Ojo took visits this spring to Alabama, Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma, SMU and others. He was in Lubbock on April 6th.

Ojo was easily one of the best lineman at the camp yesterday. Great frame for a future left tackle.

The Tech commit looked good in pass rushing drills. Got cooked a bit in coverage but those settings are extremely tough. Basically open field 1 on 1 vs a RB and they can go anywhere.

Golwas has been running track and playing baseball this off-season. They're about to start playoff baseball. Golwas remains locked in with Tech.

The brother of former OU and Minnesota Vikings standout RB Adrian Peterson, Nelson Peterson Jr. showed up to camp wearing a Texas Tech towel. The Red Raiders are his first and only offer to date. He'll be an interesting one to track as the offer was for quarterback, but I'm not 100% sure he's a quarterback take for Texas Tech if that makes sense.

He visited in the spring for a practice and liked seeing the new south endzone being built. Mentioned a good relationship with Joey McGuire.

As an aside, Adrian Peterson was always known for having a strong ass handshake. Nelson Peterson's dad was there, shook my hand after I interviewed his son, and damn near broke it in the process. I can see where he gets it now.

2026 QB Grant Smith is another kid who is very high on Tech. Great relationships with Zach Kittley and Joey McGuire. Very intrigued by playing in Kittley's offense.

Really strong arm, accurate, but not much of a runner. I think he's a potential option for Tech's QB spot in 2026, but probably isn't the favorite. Lack of mobility probably hurts him.

Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, TCU, Texas A&M have all offered. Wants to make a commitment sometime this year to help build the class around him.

One of Tech's top remaining uncommitted 2025 prospects. Will officially visit in June. Coming off his first OV to Kansas last week. Will also OV to Houston.

He's raw, only been playing football for a couple years, but talent is evident. Long, fast, and athletic with great ability to highpoint the ball.

Important Big 12 battle for the staff to win.

Best nickname in football goes to Ethan "Boobie" Feaster. A five-star prospect in the 2027 class. Rankings aren't out yet but he will be. 41 offers and counting. He's electrifying and only a freshman. Been coming to camps and been a national level recruit for 2-3 years now since he was like a 7th grader.

Joey McGuire and Juice Johnson are doing their best here. We'll see if Tech can stay in the mix long enough to get serious consideration. Feaster does like the staff here but everyone is after him.

Very early but most people I talk to think he ends up at Texas or LSU.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News