ADVERTISEMENT

Notebook: Recap of Mark Adams' thoughts and preseason media availability

T. Cobern

Red Raider
Gold Member
Mar 7, 2022
Notebook: Recap of Mark Adams' thoughts and preseason media availability

-The roster is healthy for the most part.

-Pop Isaacs has progressed well after surgery and is expected to be back next week,

-Regarding Ethan Duncan, “right now he's taking a pause to kind of decide if he wants to stay at Texas Tech or possibly look at some other options and it’s just kind of a timing thing with Ethan. We’ve got a lot of guards that we brought in so and, you know, we have a lot of respect for Ethan and his family…it's a really big decision for him, unfortunately.”

-Adams has been particularly impressed with Daniel Batcho and his improvement this offseason.
“Daniel Batcho is one that really is just a different player than he was last year…he's working on scoring and he's shooting the ball, he's working on his jump shot and his three-point shooting, and he's just a completely different player. And I like everyone to be impressed and surprised to see his progress…I think our coaching staff agrees that I think that Daniels got a chance to play in the NBA in the next couple of years. We feel that he's improved that much and so we're looking forward to get him out in uniform and showing off his talents for our fans.”

On last year’s team compared to this year, “It's just a totally different team with six or seven transfers and a lot more older players. Half of this team is underclassmen, so it's a little different. We don't have maybe the length but at the same time, I think we're skilled in areas. We think we will be a much better three-point shooting game and we've got players that have experience at the combo guard positions, and hopefully will be more efficient on offense than we were last year, but love these guys. They're working extremely hard regarding our program. They love the coaches and this team. We went out and recruited guys that we thought would fit into our system and that were going to play hard and play together. We’ve got four freshmen and we love those guys as well…”

-Fardaws Aimaq has been a great leader for the younger guys both on and off the court. Adams believes that Aimaq may have the most skill out of any big guy that’s been at Tech.

“He can shoot the ball outside, inside. When you look back at his resume, back at Utah Valley, he was the defensive player and offensive player of the year in their conference, and even though this is a little higher level, just in practice, he's been in well…so excited about him.”
-On Elijah Fisher, “may be one of the youngest players in college basketball, reclassified, and has great credentials coming out of high school…one thing about him that I’ve actually been really impressed with is just how tough he is, very physical.

-Clarence chose to go back home overseas to be closer to home and play professional basketball.

-Adams is excited about the upcoming season and has high expectations for this year. He reminds the new guys that we were 18-0 at home last year, have sellout crowds, and that red raider nation expects a lot out of them.

“People want guys that are going to play hard and play together, show grit on the floor, and represent West Texas the right way.”

“These guys have a lot of energy and are enthusiastic. They come in wanting to be coached and so we see that’s a real plus with this team and I think that they have made huge strides from when we started.”

-Elijah has made the adjustment from high school basketball to college really quickly IQ-wise. The coaching staff has been extremely pleased with Lamar Washington and Robert Jennings.

-Jaylon Tyson can score on all three levels, has huge upside, and has been playing very well in practice per Adams. He’s also shooting the three-ball very well.

-Adams is glad to have Malik Ondigo back. His final four experience and veteran leadership is helping the younger guys.

-On Kevin Obanor being back, “Last year, KO’s strength was three-point shooting and his offensive rebounding. He's worked so hard this summer on getting that ball on the floor and creating his own shot and again, I think the secret is out that we just think he's so much better than he was last year on the offensive end…”

-Adams loves De’Vion Harmon, his leadership, and his “infectious” personality. “He will be a key ingredient to the success of this team.”

-D’Maurian Williams and Kerwin Walton have been lighting up the three-point line. The coaching staff made it a priority to bring in shooters this year after not shooting it particularly well last season.

-On Kerwin Walton, “He’s probably our best three-point shooter, but he’s more athletic than we thought, and he’s got good size.”

-Adams mentions that Texas Tech hasn’t had a true point guard since Evans and Mooney, and is excited to have “three or four guys” that can play combo guard.

-It sounds like Fardaws is going to have the green light to shoot the three-ball when he gets the chance. Adams wants to use that part of his game to spread the floor like Bryson Williams did last year.

-Adams believes that one of the things that give the Red Raiders an advantage in recruiting is the fans, student section, and Texas Tech’s recent pedigree of successful seasons and NCAA tournament wins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News