ADVERTISEMENT

My Huge Costly Mistake Yesterday

Technostalgic

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 29, 2013
Denver CO
Bought a 2024 GMC Sierra back in May. My DEF light said I had 110 miles to go until the engine would slow down yesterday. I bought some DEF and filled it up......the only problem was that I was so focused on not letting the DEF spill all over me, I put it in the Diesel side! Yep.....total SR. moment. This is my 4th 2500 since 2016 and (of course) I've never done this. The worst part of this.....I didn't realize I did this until I started it and began driving home. About a half mile into it, it dies and says on the screen, "Water in Diesel FUel" I knew right then I totally f*&%ed up.

Had it towed to GMC. The first question they asked is if I started it....which of course I did. I was then told it could take a month to 6 months to fix it because GM is so back logged on parts. They also informed me that this mistake would probably cost me $20,000 in labor and parts!

I called it into my insurance and, of course, they are trying to tell me I don't have coverage for this.....so I haven't even started that battle.

Probably one of the stupidest things I've done my entire life!

Just thought I would share this with RR Sports in case anyone has a pick up that requires DEF. Would hate to see someone go through what I'm going through right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News