ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: McGuire addresses pre-season expectations, offensive struggles pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Loaded Monday press conference, let's jump right into it.

Injuries:

On pre-season comments of this team beating last year's by 14-points:

"Yes, you know, I mean it's really frustrating. Let's go through this, we lost two guys last year on offense and nobody can tell me that Tahj Brooks hasn't made up for anyone and everyone that left running the football last year. It goes back to the question of bad football. We're we have got to eliminate bad football. We've probably dropped the ball more in four games than possibly we had an entire year last year. The one thing that I really appreciate that appreciate about last year where we have not explosive way we wanted to be explosive and one thing we did is we continued drives. We had some really long drives last year. The thing that's been a thorn in our side this year has been third down. However, I don't think you're playing well enough right now to say that that would happen."

McGuire on not meeting expectations yet:

" So I guess if everybody wants me to change and try to be like every other coach and say 'shucks, we might be pretty good.' You know, protect the team and protect myself from criticism. I can do that. I'm not worried about the criticism that I'm getting. Guys, I'm telling you. I've done this for a long time. There's nothing that can come out of any person's mouth that I haven't heard. Where I do hate it, if I was wrong, is if the players are hearing it. I don't know, was I wrong being the true believer in the players that I have, I don't think so."

On running the ball well:

"The one reason we are running the ball effectively is we are running into good boxes. One of the staples that you want to get to as a program is we're going to run the ball when they know you're gonna run the ball. But usually when you say that that's in short yardage, it's not like first and 10 and got eight, nine in the box and saying 'let's just run the ball', that's not smart football."

On emergency QB situation:

"No, it's going to be a mixture of guys, we have some receivers that have done it. Brady Boyd could be the guy that takes some snaps and we'd have some different stuff in the run game. With Tahj and Nehemiah Martinez, then a guy who might have the best arm on the team is Coy Eakin. If we get to that point, those guys can do it."

On penalty flags in Morgantown:

"The thing that I would say with that is, we sent some stuff in, and I agreed with three of them and I can see why he called that. My point after that is always going to be, there is a play just like this. How is it no call? If you asked every coach in the country about what they want from officials, they want consistency. You have to understand where you draw a flag. You have now defined the rule. So that rule being defined at that point has to carry throughout the game. And that's my frustration of the game but again. Did it make a difference? I mean, one score game late in the fourth quarter. You know, you have to really dive into that fourth quarter and see."

On Morton:

"Yeah, he's the guy man. He's ready to go. I think he would be the first person to tell you, sitting here in front of y'all, that there was times he tried to do too much. Whenever you're the situation you're in with Tyler going down, Behren understands and it's his team and you know, he's got to do his job and he will...He will be ready to go on Saturday."

On what went wrong as a whole in Morgantown:

We had nine drops in that game, seven of them probably legitimate. We had 12 missed tackles, they had 68 yards after first contact where we should've gotten the ball down. So you go back and you're looking at those things that you can control."

On injuries as a whole:

"I hate to bring this up...but it's information, so I'll give it out. I don't want to use as an excuse, the one thing that we pride ourselves on we talked about it as a team, and we don't make excuses and we don't let other people make it for us but I will tell you it's probably been a long time since I've been a part of this many guys banged up. I'd love to see Ben (Roberts) out there with Jacob Rodriguez, and that's not where we're at right now."

FULL PRESSER:

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News