ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: McCasland Notebook: Red Raiders slug it out against UCF

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Here are the postgame notes from the head coach...

Opening statement:

"Yeah, it wasn't the most pleasing to the eye game. Obviously offensively there were times where I thought we did good things. We struggled, give them credit. UCF's defense is one of the best in the country but man that was fun to win a game with defense. I mean, we haven't been doing that very well. And to be able to not play well, offensively. And to outrebound a team that going into the game we knew would be difficult to keep them off the class. They were obviously short handed, not playing without their starting center, we know what that feels like. So probably had a little bit to do with it. But just the fact that we found a way to win this game, got to the free throw line, made more free throws than they attempted and then felt like not turning the ball over that lead baskets for them would be a big deal in the game. And then then have an eight points off turnovers. They were problems but it wasn't the difference in the game, thankfully. So really an ugly one in regards to the way we played but found a way to do it and I thought our defense improved."

On Darrion:

"Yeah, his feel for the game man. He puts himself in the right spots at the right time. And early in the first half. He didn't shoot great in the first half. I mean, I think he would start it out one for five. But he made that free throw line shot when they went to the zone and then missed a few and I mean it started kind of half effect him. He's such a pivotal guy, not just because his feel for the games there but like the offensive rebounding to start the second half that he tipped in. And we went to him in the post in the second half to start now. And they went down and scored and got a pretty easy basket and we just weren't engaged enough defensively. And I thought he was the one guy that had an edge to start the second half, even though he maybe didn't have a great offensive first half and just his will to win and his ability to rebound. And then his ability to make a simple play without turning the ball over, handle the ball, give us another guy that can make passes and make decisions. It just really is huge for us and can't be overstated how important he is to our team."

On how Tech beat the zone from UCF:

"I mean, they've shown zone quite a bit actually. And in all the games where they make a run and they jump into it and they stick with it. Beat Kansas and Texas with it when they were on the road. But you know this is what I love about our team. Chance McMillan, I think started 0-4 from three then he made the one that was big. And I look at our staff, and it's it's simple when you do it the right ways on offense can be as long as you share the ball. And they're like, trust me Chance is going to make it you know, it's all about our team. And they believe in him and he's one of those guys that works hard to and big shot he made I thought to open the game up when we needed it."

On how they overcame Pop & Joe having a tough night:

"I said that to em in the locker room at the end. I was like, Look, you know what's great about basketball. It's a team game. Nobody out here playing by themselves. So when when you end basketball is not just shooting basketballs, defense basketballs. How do you rebound? Like, how do you stay connected when things don't go well, and we weren't great in that area at times. That's where we'll just keep growing as a team, but these guys they've got no quit to them and it's a fighting group. And I thought we displayed that tonight in finding a way to win."

On inability to separate against UCF:

"You know, we've been good in transition in this building and our ability to get stops that leads to baskets. You know, in the first half it was kind of how we got momentum was we were able to get stops and they were able to get baskets. Today, give them credit, feel like everything at the rim we they either blocked it or we tried to draw fouls and missed layups. it feels like when you miss those kinds of opportunities. Those are separators for us, especially with our lack of size, how can we create some transition baskets with our defense and open the game up that way? Then we just lacked, you know, a few opportunities to to capitalize, I think on our defense, and there was like with this team when we can do that we separate from people, but we're just gonna have to walk the ball up and grind it out in the half court. It makes it more difficult for us to get separation."

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News