ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: McCasland Notebook: Red Raiders make too many losing plays against UCF

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
Courtesy of @C. Level's postgame radio interview with the head coach…

Tough one today, 75-61 final, you knew you needed to shoot it well, it was going to be a scrap game, but it just wasn’t gonna happen today.

“Yeah, two things that really jumped out to me was I thought we put ourselves in enough position and it felt like that way at the end of the half kind of epitomized what we were doing. We scrapped, found a way to get it to a couple possession game, and then we gave up an offensive rebound at the buzzer and they score it to make it 36-32. It’s just like, how do we do it with effort and playing the game to win? We got short-handed tonight and we didn’t know for sure with Chance, thought he was actually going to play up until we got here to the arena. When those kind of happenings, it opens up opportunities and we thought Warren may be able to play so we get him out there and he has a hard time moving like we want. So it opens up opportunities for people to win, who want to win. You can just tell we’re missing an edge, and I told the guys in the locker room, this is going to be the most difficult game to win that we play. Just because of the nature like this is a great team on the road in the Big 12 and people think you’re just supposed to win. That’s not how it works, you go impose your will on people and we just didn’t do that today.

Is the biggest thing just trying to get healthy, flush this one, move on?

“Ultimately, yeah, that’s what it is. But you gotta look in the mirror and know why you don’t win. You can’t just flush everything. There’s gotta be a collective grit. It’s what I told our guys, when adversity hits you really find out who can push toward that. And then there’s these individual moments where you see things that people are trying to do that aren’t characteristic to what your team needs. And those, we’ve gotta eliminate. I don’t care if the score gets bad or whatever it is, you’ve got to eliminate losing plays that don’t help your team. I just felt like we had too many of those.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News