ADVERTISEMENT

It's pretty clear to me..

Mr_SoloDolo

Red Raider
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2021
Marble Falls, Texas
That ZK runs a completely different offense when Shough is in. That being more of a power run type of scheme where we play the numbers game and the QB gets 10-15 designed runs a game. Think Urban Meyer at Florida or anything K State does now. This is what we saw vs Oregon, Ole Miss, and OU. And it works with Shough.

Why we do it? I'm assuming it's to cover up a below average offensive line (luv u Matt Wells). That's just me speculating though.

This issue we're seeing though is when we're playing against inferior opponents. You obviously want to dial back all the QB runs to protect him, not show your playbook, etc. So we go back to ZK's base air raid concepts. On paper we should be able to light it up against Wyoming & TSU. The problem is, that's not Shough's game. He just doesn't look comfortable going through his reads or having to improvise a bit when a play breaks down. And plays break down a lot with the shotty protection we have.

This is all where Morton excels because he's fit for that type of offense. Hell even Ryan Leaf picked up on it after watching him for just one series during the game.

Where we go from here? I've got no idea and I'm glad I don't have to make that decision. All I know is I'd be willing to bet Shough carries the ball 15 times next week in Morgantown....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News