ADVERTISEMENT

How did Bob Knight get to Tech?

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
Well here is what I recall. First you go to Gerald Meyers, a young high school player in Pampa or Borger, he was a dead eye free throw shooter. He signed with Tech to play basketball.

He was very good guard and our first All Conference player as I recall. He taught math at Monterey High and I was in that class. He lead Monterey to State Final with David Reed, Craig Wright, Steve Hardin, and others I cannot recall.

He later got a job in Houston at Houston Baptist I think. Tech hired a Bob Bass but he left after a few years and Meyers was hired at Teck if I have this about right.

When he got the Tech job he called Bob Knight and asked if he could come up for a day or so and visit with him, and Bob said sure and you will stay with me.

Bob Knight once said Meyers was a top 8 coach in America.

Meyers had a nice career . Later he was AD and did a good job as I recall.

Meyers was behind the new basketball facility and he ask Bob if he would bring his team to Lubbock and open the new facility and Bob said sure.

So Bob brings his team to Lubbock and beats Tech 20 points.
l
Now here is where it gets interesting. The local press asks Bob if he would ever come back and play Tech. BOB SAYS...........WHY WOULD I EVER COME BACK HERE!!!!!

So about 4 years later Bob is now head man at Tech and I think it was with the understanding Pat would take over when he left. It was Meyers who saved him in coaching.

So he came to Lubbock and did well but he was burned out and retired mid season in Louisiana I think. So that is what I know. He was happy in Lubbock and had several acres ourt west of town a bit. So other might add to this or correct if I miss something. Hubcity

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News