ADVERTISEMENT

Hoop Thoughts: Thoughts on the South Regional Bracket & Team Overviews

chaseallen_44

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2018
New Braunfels
It's the most wonderful time of the year for the best and most enjoyable sporting event around. And it's even better with Tech playing in it. Part of me is just happy to be here but now that Tech is in ...... I feel greedy and I not only am wanting to be in, but I want to do some damage in the damn thing. Now to the actual bracket.....

Some general bracketology thoughts:

• Aggie and Michigan State getting in without having to be in the play-in is some horse shit.
  • There's no way FAU should have been an 8 seed and there's no way the two WCC teams should have been 5 seeds.
  • The MWC was screwed.
  • The committee is already starting to show the same bias for the P2 that they already do on the football side.
  • Yikes for the Big East.
The South Regional Bracket:

Only doing summaries for the bottom part of the bracket:

• Marquette (2 seed)
    • 12th per Kenpom
    • Heavy ball screen offense and high pressure defensively.
    • Pros: Kam Jones and Tyler Kolak can absolutely go and Oso Ighodaro is a stud in the front court.
    • Hurdles: Is Tyler Kolek healthy?
  • Kentucky (3 seed)
    • 19th per Kenpom
    • Perimeter oriented team with killers at guard but questions on the defensive end.
    • Pros: Rob Dillingham and Reed Sheppard are lottery picks and they are deadly on offense.
    • Hurdles: Can they defend anyone?
    • X-Factor : Antonio Reeves
  • Texas Tech (6 seed)
    • 25th per Kenpom
    • Steady offensively and have seen a recent jump defensively. Lacking in size and physicality to a degree.
    • Pros: Guards can catch fire and guard play wins in March.
    • Cons: Are they healthy?
    • X-Factor : Chance McMillian
  • Florida (7 seed)
    • 29th per Kenpom
    • Explosive offensively with great perimeter play.
    • Pros: Once again in this part of the bracket...... stellar guards. 3+ guys who can fill it up.
    • Hurdles: Can they guard? And their rim protector snapped his ankle.
    • X-Factor: Riley Kugel
  • NC State (11 seed)
    • 58th per Kenpom
    • Above average offensively and are red hot. But below average in a below average conference.
    • Pros: DJ Horn is a dude and when engaged DJ Burns is a problem down low. Also, had an insane run in the ACC Tourney.
    • Hurdles: They honestly are just "ok" to me. Not great defensively and have been mediocre all season.
    • X-Factor: DJ Burns' cardio
  • Oakland (14th seed)
    • 137th per Kenpom
    • Funky mid-major who shoot a ton of threes and run a weird zone defensively.
    • Pros: Are a weird/difficult team to matchup with due to the way they play. Trey Townsend is a dude and they can get hot from deep.
    • Hurdles: Small and just not all that great.
    • X-Factor : Jack Gohlke
  • Western Kentucky (15 seed)
    • 132nd per Kenpom
    • In the tournament under 1st year HC Steve Lutz after years of underachieving.
    • Pros: Have real P5 size and athleticism on their roster. And guards who can get downhill.
    • Hurdles: Just okay in a down C-USA conference.
    • X-Factor: Dontaie Allen

Last edited by a moderator:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News