ADVERTISEMENT

Hate doing this again- Job Related

Donut with no holes

Enemy of the State
Gold Member
Apr 20, 2011
DFW
About 18 months ago I found out that the hospital where I've been working since April 2017 was going to be conducting some pretty large scale layoffs, and I was going to be let go in a month. I posted here about it, but fortunately I was able to move into another position with the same hospital, same pay. At the beginning of this year it was announced that our hospital is going to be sold to a nation-wide for-profit healthcare system, and more layoffs were possible. Since that initial announcement I enrolled and completed an online course in Data Analytics to help broaden my skillset. I survived some subsequent layoff rounds, but found out recently that I will be cut in the final round, along with my VP and most of the others who reported to him. My last day is now November 30. I will get a month of severance, and I'll be paid out on unused PTO, so I will be OK in the short term, but of course no one wants to wait until the last minute to secure their future.

For most of my time at this hospital I was in revenue cycle, eventually as the director of patient financial services. When I switched positions last year I became the business data analyst. I have prior experience in clinic settings as a practice administrator, and being a point of contact between physicians and the C Suite. As a director I supervised billing, collections, cash posting, payment variance, and the customer service call center. In my analytics course we covered SQL, Tableau, and Python, and I have pretty advanced Excel skills, plus a background in looking through data to extract meaning and recommend action. I've got a little project management experience, but no PMP certification. My bachelor in Management and MIS and my MBA are both from Tech in 2006 and 2008 respectively.

Obviously most of my background is in healthcare, which I'm happy to stay in, but I'm also very open to any industry and position where my skills can be applied. I figure that's the good part about being on the business side, a lot of my experience can translate to other industries.

I've submitted countless applications through online sites, but in most of those situations I figure I'm just one applicant in a stack of 10,000. It's obviously easier to get a job when you know someone who can get your foot in the door, so any help or leads that people can provide is much appreciated. I live in Decatur, and unfortunately I can't relocate at this time, but I will commute to DFW, Denton, etc. if I need to.

Thanks guys, and Guns Up!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News