ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Gameday thoughts on Texas Tech v. TCU | What went wrong in Fort Worth and how Red Raiders can split season series

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
It is gameday for Texas Tech’s rematch against TCU at the United Supermarkets Arena. Going to go ahead and give some thoughts on the matchup, what went wrong in FW and what Tech can do to make amends for the loss in the first meeting.

In the first fixture between the two, the Red Raiders were No. 26 in the NET, a ranking that has been maintained through the three-game losing streak that started in Cowtown. This was in large part to Tech’s dominating win over Kansas. Since the first matchup, TCU has actually dropped six spots in the NET to No. 36, the result of back-to-back double digit losses to Texas and Iowa State after defeating Tech.

Let’s touch on what went south at Schollmaier Arena.

For starters, the Red Raiders were killed on the boards, some of this because of flat out lack of hustle, but mostly due to foul trouble that kept Warren Washington and Darrion Williams off the floor for significant stretches of the game. While you can’t necessarily gameplan for this to not happen, you kind of go in the game assuming or hoping it doesn’t. Tech’s rebounding numbers have actually gotten a lot better since that first game.

The Red Raiders kept it close against an extremely long Cincinnati team, 39-35, lost the board battle to Baylor (albeit without Washington), dominated UCF and Kansas and lost by a narrow margin to Iowa State (again, without Washington). If Warren does play and if the team can stay out of foul trouble, I would anticipate Tech being able to put up a better fight on the boards. The improvement has been evident.

Another aspect that there was just no way you could anticipate happening was Micah Peavy shooting lights out. Tre Tennysian had one of his best nights shooting, as well. Emanuel Miller and Jameer Nelson Jr., who I think are their two best offensive weapons, were largely held in check, scoring double-digits yes, but on inefficient shooting nights. The Horned Frogs as a whole shot 55 percent from three.

Some things you just can’t foresee happening, and Tech had struggled all season guarding the perimeter to that point. While I won’t go on saying the Red Raiders have been lockdown guarding the three since then, the effort in close outs and numbers do back up that there has been some improvement in that regard.

What I want to see from Tech tonight is more aggression on the offensive end. I think we have seen instances where the offense stagnates and becomes too reliant on forced three point attempts. In the last meeting, Tech shot the ball well, 14-28 from three, mostly at the hands of Pop Isaacs and Chance McMillian. Tech also won the battle of points in the paint, 24-22. What was ultimately the difference was TCU making (24) almost double the amount of free throws that Tech even attempted, 14.

Grant has stressed it and I think we all have stressed it now to this point, but this offense functions better when they are getting paint touches. I think Tech has been aggressive in the paint many times this season and that has earned them quality shooting looks inside or from deep, or trips to the line. In Texas’ win over the Frogs, they only shot 15 free throws but scored 44 points in the paint. Even if Warren doesn’t play, I want to see some grit from Robert Jennings to keep pounding away down low and even some chances for KyeRon Lindsay to show his athleticism.

Something I threw in the hockey jersey thread was my wishful thinking that Chance McMillian would play a good game at home. And I think it’s reasonable for me to repeat that sentiment. He has not played well at home, for whatever reason, but we know how capable he is of pouring it on. I think if Pop continues to struggle shooting, you are going to constantly need someone who can fill the scoring void. For me right now that looks like it would be Darrion Williams or McMillian.

That’s all I’ve got for right now ahead of tonight’s game, if there is anything else you feel like I might have missed or you’d like me to elaborate on, definitely drop it below.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News