ADVERTISEMENT

SPITBALLIN' Final assessment of the win over Baylor pres. by All Hands Craft Cocktails

J. Ramirez

Red Raider & Chapman Lewis Enthusiast
Staff
Jul 9, 2022
I would like to preface this by saying I have only slept two hours since getting back into Lubbock, so if this is not the most eloquently written piece on my end, apologies.

As I’m writing this, I can vividly remember myself being quite upset about this team’s lack of a star player while also being confused by the lack of this team’s offensive identity.
I think myself, and the rest of you lot, are ready to fully accept that Tahj Brooks is that guy and the identity of this offense is that “run raid” term that we have seen being thrown out there. It is honestly astounding that this guy was getting such an abysmal amount of carries when the signs were pointing to how good he could be if given free reign to go out and wreck defenses.

It all goes back to seemingly everybody on the team, players or coaches, trying to do too much and straining too much to make plays when all it took for this team to find the groove again was playing freely. It felt really good to see Baylor Cupp getting the chance to make plays in the air. I've been somewhat of an apologist for the tight ends and seeing him doing something that more people can recognize was satisfying.

Defensively, I was reminded a lot of what this defense was last year, but now on another level. Tech is, in my opinion, always going to be a team that gives up big plays and honestly, in this sport it is bound to happen. However, the biggest difference has been how good this team has been the last couple weeks in the late down situations. A combined 5-21 on third and fourth down from Baylor, that is insane people.

Blake Shapen, statistically, had a decent game passing wise but that was in large part to what his receivers were able to do after the catch. From my perspective however, I didn’t think he played spectacularly and it just seemed like Tech had that entire offense bottled up for 95 percent of the game. This was without a doubt the best performance you have seen from the entire defensive line, interior and outside. Quincy Ledet continued to be a difference maker and Dooda Banks showed why his ceiling is so high as a football player. And then, of course, how could one forget about the edge rushers? Steve Linton finally lived up to the hype, Myles Cole had a big sack, Charles Ester was everywhere with two sacks of his own.

I picked Baylor in our staff predictions Friday, not because I thought the Bears were a better team, I was still just not confident in Tech to put it all together on the road. I likely would have been impressed with a win if it came in close fashion, but the way Tech showed no mercy last night, away from The Jones, it was a sight to behold. This team looks so much different than even what we saw in Morgantown. They are clicking at the right time and that is going to have to continue against Kansas State.

gchnhmd22urptqzgrc54

Founded by a Red Raider, All Hands Craft Cocktails is proud to announce their partnership with RedRaiderSports.com. Try these bar strength, ready-to-drink vodka cocktails at Jones AT&T Stadium this football season or find them at a retailer near you. Cheers.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News