ADVERTISEMENT

Enigma: Texas Tech Basketball

MacRed

Ŧhe Dust Coast
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2021
It's clear, at least to me, we have culture issues within the program this season. I said in the game thread, I hope it's just a bump in the road. But, there are certainly issues, you can see that in the body language at times alone.

We are in a weird place. Currently 42nd in KenPom. Barely Top 30 in KenPom defense. This team is in a bit of a free fall as far as metrics and standings.

Back to back 7 point wins over teams that you were favored by 19 or more and didn't play well in either game. Especially on the defensive end.

Since the Louisville game, in which you put on an unbelievable display of defense (yes, I know Louisville is hella bad, but it was still impressive) your defense has actually gotten progressively worse. Which is probably the most concerning sign of all them. Defense is your identity, your calling card and you are going in the wrong direction at the moment.

Offensively? You are still not running anything that looks like a true basketball offense. A lot of dribbling, a lot of standing, a lot of NOT team play.

Long story short, you have real issues.

Yet, what is mind numbing and rather obvious is there is still so much potential with this team. Especially when you breakdown on an individual level. There is a ton to not just like, but love.

- Kevin Obanor had 25 points last night. He went off and you absolutely needed him to. In fact, Obanor has been your best player this season, which is weird because it doesnt feel that way at all most nights. He is averaging 15 pts and 6 rebs a game currently. That is 5 pts and 1 reb better than last season. He has lead you in a lot of games thus far too. Contrary to popular belief he's been very very good this year.

- You were missing Batcho last night and EWU drove all night long because of it. Batcho hasn't just been good inside, he's been downright elite. Averaging 13 and 8 and almost 2 blocks a game. He is one of the best, maybe the best big man in the Big 12 right now. He is invaluable for the Red Raiders right now, especially because who knows with Fardaws comes back if he ever does.

- Devion Harmon is the perfect PG for Mark Adams. Averaging 11 pts, 3 rebs, 3 assists and 2 steals a game. He is often everywhere and the offense runs through him on most possessions. Not to mention he is the heart of this team right now. High energy, vocal, a leader. He has come in and been exactly what we needed at PG.

- Pop Isaacs has been the biggest surprise and IMO just as invaluable in a lot of ways. He is a jitterbug on defense and generates offense as much as anyone on this team. 10 pts a game, 3 assts, 42% from 3 while the rest of the team still can't find their outside shot. He has been a dynamic, dangerous guard on the outside and has hit huge shots when youve needed them in multiple games this season. Future is bright with Pop.

- Jaylon Tyson is the X-Factor to truly unlock a lot of things for this team. It's felt like he's really struggled yet he is averaging 9 a game. He is really good defensively too, when he wants to be lol. If the lights ever come on for him look out because he can do it all at an elite level. He's struggling and he looks this good, just imagine if he wasnt struggling.

- Lamar Washington has slowly emerged as that guy off the bench that can give you real minutes. He isn't much of a scoring threat yet but he does so many other things really well. Between Lamar, Pop, Tyson, you have a really good backcourt waiting to happen going forward.

- KJ Allen is getting slept on. Not just by us, but by the coaching staff IMO. Every time he gets his number called for extended minutes he answers. He isnt a giant stats guy, 5 pts and 7 rebs last night was pretty big for him. But he is a hustle guy and he makes a lot of things happen. He is constantly mucking it and poking balls away on defense. He actually moves and sets screens on offense. Im a big Allen fan, he needs to be a bigger piece.

I just listed 7 guys that I am seeing massive positives from. That is plenty to at least win a lot of games. THE TALENT IS RIGHT THERE IN FRONT OF US. Real, some of it elite, talent on this team. And we haven't even seen what Fardaws can bring.

Our depth isn't great, we aren't getting much of anything from Walton, Williams and Fisher. But even then I dont get that either because the talent is there. We have seen flashes of it from all 3. Why those guys aren't getting any time right now is almost odd to me. I dont understand what is happening in practices or in the locker room that makes Adams not trust Elijah Fisher, or Kerwin Walton or D. Williams to not even get 5 minutes vs Eastern Washington in December. If they dont play they are never going to figure it out.

The overall point is this...this team has the potential to be REALLY good. If you breakdown this team individually, there is just as much talent as we have seen from any team in this incredible era for Tech Basketball. Harmon, Pop, Tyson, Batcho, Obanor alone is a salty starting 5. BUT THEY DONT PLAY AS A TEAM. I dont get what is happening sometimes. The talent is right in our faces. This team is an Enigma.

This is the first time since his hire that I am not completely trusting Adams and some of the decisions. This is the first time I have questioned what is wrong with the culture. But the team buy in, the lack of defensive effort at times, the lack of chemistry and real play calling on offense. This isn't just a "we are young" issue. There is something really holding this team back mentally right now. But, IT IS NOT A LACK OF TALENT AND POTENTIAL. This team has a chance to be really special. Here's to hoping this gets figured out. Conference play is just over 2 weeks away.

TLDR

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News