ADVERTISEMENT

BASEBALL: Emptying the Notebook: Baseball Notes from the Weekend pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Was able to get out to a few scrimmages this weekend and chat with some folks who are really well connected to the program, so going to list what all I found out and I will answer y’all’s questions to the best of my knowledge.

-Tech is extremely deep this season. Tadlock seemingly has the ability to roll out two completely different lineups, which is definitely a good problem to have, but it will be key to deploy the pieces in the correct way.

-The Red Raiders’ shortstop battle is a bit all over the place. Will Burns, the reclassified California product that made it to campus in January, has made waves and is definitely in contention for significant playing time in what should be his HS senior season. Burns, the dual-sport, PWO quarterback for the football team, was brought to campus with a ton of help from coach McGuire and it sounds like he will attempt to play QB for Tech. Burns has a rocket of an arm, likely the best on the team, and it probably is his best trait. His main competitor, at least for now, seems to be Tracer Lopez, who has made waves this spring. Described as the more “prototypical” shortstop, he is seemingly the favorite to land the opening day job.

-A name that’s no longer a truly great option at shortstop is Travis Sanders, the No. 1 recruit for Tech this season. He has gotten all of his reps at third base and may have the chance to crack the lineup at times this season.

-Gavin Kash continues to make waves, but probably not for what you’re thinking. Kash’s defense was a major sticking point over the weekend, something that the coaches were giving a ton of praise to. Excellent stretches, athletically getting off the bag, the whole package for a defensive first baseman. Oh, he also hit a homer on Sunday.

-Third base is going to be a rolling mix between all-conference catcher Hudson White and Kevin Bazzell, both are going to be leaned on heavily and will be in the lineup every day, without question. Dylan Maxcey will also be in the mix for decent playing time at catcher, you’re loaded behind the plate, with more coming next season.

-Bazzell is legit, the defense is there, both behind the plate and at third, but the bat is something to rave about. Elite plate discipline and great power, likely the three-hole hitter for this team. You heard about it last year, but it’s great to get him on the field, at last.

-Austin Green will have some opportunity at second base, but it could be a bit of a mix between Green and Lopez/Burns/McGarrh/Sanders.

-In the outfield, it seems there could be a two-deep, like a football depth chart, at every position with veteran’s likely being given the lion-share early (Nolen Hester LF, Dillon Carter CF, Owen Washburn RF) but Gage Harrelson and Jeric Curtis continue to push for playing time with Curtis taking reps in left field throughout the weekend. A ton of options, and they will likely all see playing time early.

-Dillon Carter has looked much improved at the plate over the past month, now wearing batting gloves, something he’s never done before, because he’s been in the cage so much his hands are torn up. Carter put good swings on the ball, including taking one to the CF wall on Sunday. I expect Carter gets the opening day nod, and the opportunity to right the disaster of last year.

-Now the bad news, Jack Washburn, the prized Ole Miss RHP transfer, was seen in a sling, and it was not good news. Tech’s likely Saturday starter will miss significant time with an issue with the throwing shoulder. Likely bumping Brendan Girton to the Saturday with Molina on Friday’s while true freshman Zane Petty, true freshman Jack Livingstone, and LCU transfer Ethan Coombes all options to see time in a mid-week or that Sunday slot that haunted Tech last season.

-Cade McGarrh, the highly touted INF recruit was on the mound and got touched up. I personally didn’t know he pitched and thought it was of note.

If you have a question on anything here, I know there’s a lot, shoot it below and I’ll answer as well as I can…

g40hcrl2e4ehwsptn0fc

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!
Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News