ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: DAY 2 - THE SEARCH BEGINS (5:11 p.m. - Level and Dickens react to Monday's news)

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
Good morning, y'all. We will be posting all of our coaching-related content and tidbits from today in this pinned thread. We will probably still post individual threads for each individual content item, but don't plan on pinning them unless something major happens.

Update, 10:46 a.m.:
Texas Tech was scheduled to host several prospects in for official visits this weekend, but those have all now been canceled.

Update, 11:04 a.m.:
CUSportsNation, Rivals.com's Colorado team-site, reported today that one of its trusted sources believes that Jim Leavitt will be the Buffaloes' next head football coach and that the two parties could already be in negotiations. I can't speak to CUSportsNation's source as I don't know the site's publisher very well - he has been a Rivals.com fixture for many years and wouldn't be where he is without being good at his job and very qualified, I just haven't ever interacted with him much - but I wanted to share what our friends around the network are reporting.

Update, 11:26 a.m.:
We are not reporting any of the following, just passing along some informed chatter from coaching circles about where things are trending from their perspective. Jim Leavitt is likely headed to Colorado, Dana Holgorsen may be working on a contract extension with West Virginia and Brent Venables is likely to stay at Clemson because, in part, he doesn't want to uproot his children.

Update, 3:27 p.m.:
There are a number of influential donors that are supportive of former Baylor coach Art Briles filling Texas Tech's head coaching vacancy. Their feeling, as has been described to us, is that the university would be killed in the public opinion arena early but that furor would eventually die down.

You could also say a lot of the same things about Mike Leach. There are a number of influential donors that are still - despite Leach's denial today - very supportive of his candidacy.

We have no idea what Kirby Hocutt would think about these options, and we cannot be any more clear when we tell you that Hocutt is leading this search. More as we know it.

Content:
Will Texas Tech do what it takes to be 'elite' in football? (from @B. Golan)
Kliff Kingsbury issues statement thanking Red Raider fans
Kingsbury's recruiting results mirrored Texas Tech's on-field inconsistencies
National Content: Mike Farrell thinks Texas Tech made a mistake by firing Kingsbury
Monday Spitballin': Holgorsen, timetable, Leach, team meeting (from @C. Level)
Recapping a busy start to Texas Tech's coaching search
RRS TV: Tailgate Express Roundtable

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News