ADVERTISEMENT

D Day Remembered

hubcityblack

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 23, 2005
I was just in England a few months back. Queen passed while we were there.
I rented a aircraft and took my Dads WW 2 Log book up over where they launched D Day. We landed and I signed it off as final flight in England. He did his flight training in Lubbock which produced 60 percent of all glider pilots. Dad was stationed in London area and France. My Dad was Buddy Hollys dentist. Capped his teach in 1958. I have the dental file in shadow box. We lost the other items in the big tornado that high the Great Plains Building, he was on 16 floor. Had to take big dental equipment out the windows with crane.

Now if you are interested look into the Red Ball Express, Operation Tiger, and story of the Big inch and little inch out of East Texas and the oil pipeline across the Channel, Pluto. Without oil, and pipelines we would be speaking German or Russian today. We also had some big lines coming out of Midland area to Chicago and Midwest, Panhandle Eastern.

For you Vintage Race car fans, on our trip we went to Avon and had dinner with first Porsche driver to win Le Mans, Richard Attwood. Later in the week we had dinner with Derrick Bell, Porsche winner of Le Mans 5 time. Bell took the spot of a fellow Enzo wanted but the driver turned him down for Formula One .! We ended up at Goodwood race track for the event and air show all dressed in WW2 period.

Along the way I gave a short 13min talk on bus about racing in Ft Worth and West Texas. I must have mentioned Lubbock and later a fellow said there was a rock group from Lubbock that often lead off for the Beatles. I did not know that, The Flantlanders Later a friend said one was in our Monterey Class, Joe Ealey. I dont recall him. Good Day. Hubcity

The fellow that put these on is Steve Austin Great Vacations. He will do Monoco Historics this month.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News