ADVERTISEMENT

Career and possible college help or advice for my teenage daughter (esp. art majors/creative folks!)

VivaTerlingua

Matador
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2010
Lake Highlands, TX
Looking for a little help and insight for my 16 YO daughter who is starting her junior year of high school. This girl is unbelievably talented on the artistic and creative side of things, and has won tons of awards and had her art displayed at her school and at district competitions for years and years (she clearly did not get an ounce of that from her old man who is an accountant).

But, being an accountant myself, I have no idea about possible career tracks, and no experience figuring out what to do with someone who is artistic and creative, or colleges/college programs to help her achieve her dreams. I can totally see her doing something in advertising, which seems like where a lot of artistic/creative types are able to harness those skills, plus I don't think she would ever want to be in a stuffy, 9-to-5 office environment, maybe more like a smaller, bring-your-dog to work type place (even though I have tried to tell her that sometimes you have to pay your dues early on and build up your resume to get where you want to be in your career).

Her older sister is in college and will be a teacher, and it was fairly easy early on to figure that one out - she always loved school, loved education, and loved being around little kids, so that one was a no brainer, but this one is tougher for me. No experience in that area, and don't really know any creative types who are using those skills in their careers.

If any creative types or art majors on RRS see this, would love to hear about your career path and any insight you might have. And for any folks working in advertising in the Metroplex, would love to bend your ear on that, my daughter would probably even benefit greatly by going to someone's office and talking to them and seeing what they do, might get her mind in the direction of what she could do with her future.

Thanks in advance!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News