ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (October 4th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

We caught up with Tampa (Fla.) Berkeley Prep head coach Bobby Reinhart shortly after Justin Gray announced he had committed to Tech.

Red Raider fans were blown away by how well thought out Gray was in various articles and an interview on Double T 104.3 FM's "Tech Talk." Reinhart is too.

"It starts with he has a great family," the head coach said. "He has a great mom and dad who are very supportive of him. He has an older brother who just graduated from Cornell and the Ivy League. He played basketball there.

"Justin has been at Berkeley for the last six or seven years and has been an outstanding student-athlete here and a great leader really in all facetes at Berkeley. We just couldn't be happier for him. Really terrific young man who is well-grounded."

Gray has been on Berkeley's varsity basketball team since eighth grade.

The Florida High School Athletic Association allows students from kindergarten through 12th grade schools, such as Berkeley, to play varsity sports beginning in sixth grade.

"He's been a starter since ninth grade and actually saw significant minutes as an eighth grader," Reinhart said.

Naturally, Gray's long-term exposure to varsity competition has helped him.

"He's an extremely versatile player which is why I think so many college coaches were high on him," the head coach said. "Literally, at our level, we can play him positions 1 through 5. I think with you guys he's got the position to play position two through four, frankly. He's 6-foot-5 which on the D-I level is a dime a dozen, but what really separates Justin is just how long he is. Really long arms. Gets up real quickly.

"When the ball is in the air, he tends to be above most. I think that's what impresses people when they see him play. He can shoot the basketball, take it off the dribble, he's strong, he defends. He's just a complete and versatile basketball player."

- Graham

--

Back in Lubbock, receiver and kick returner SaDale Foster is having a good time and very optimistic about the Kansas game.

He can't foresee a letdown in Lawrence, Kan.

"Our preparation is different," Foster said. "We prepare a lot differently. The staff won't let us prepare lightly or look ahead. It's always the biggest game of the year. The most important game is the next game so we're not overlooking Kansas or any other team. We're going to approach it like it's the championship."

The Kansas game ought to be a telling one.

Tech was excited for SMU because it was the first game on the schedule. It played a great game against Stephen F. Austin. After the TCU win, the team mostly played up to its potential against Texas State.

There's no denying Kansas' recent history is worse than anyone else's in the conference.

"The talent may vary, but the thing is a team like Kansas is they'll play hard because they have to prove themselves every week," Foster said. "They have a chip on their shoulder and those teams tend to be more dangerous than high level Big 12 teams because people tend to overlook them.

"Kansas isn't overlooking anyone. They'll play with a chip on their shoulder and play hard every play. It's going to be a battle."

- Graham

---

The Red Raiders have only a few precious spots left in their 2014 recruiting class and most, if not all, of those scholarships will likely end up going to junior college players along the offensive and defensive lines.

Tech even offered a few more JUCO linemen this week, including Council Bluffs (Iowa) Iowa Western C.C. offensive tackle Sebastian Tretola.

Unlike many of his JUCO teammates, however, Tretola has actually spent some time at a FBS program. The offensive tackle played last season at Nevada, but a poor spring academically led him to the JUCO ranks.

"This past spring, it was a bad spring academics wise," he said. "I fell short in the beginning, and by the time I tried to make everything up and rush it, it just didn't work out for me. It literally came down to one class grade, and I ended up coming out here."

The tackle has picked up a few offers so far in the recruiting process, including offers from two Big 12 schools.

"I'm pretty much hearing from Georgia State Idaho, Texas Tech, Cincy, South Florida and Oklahoma," Tretola said. "All the coaches stay in contact with me and really nobody more so than the other."

The Red Raiders are relatively new to the process with Tretola as they extended an offer his way on Wednesday night. This isn't the first time Tech has offered the JUCO tackle, however. Mike Leach's staff actually wanted Tretola out of high school, and he even made a trip out to Lubbock for a visit.

The coaching debacle changed things, however, but he's definitely looking forward to visiting the Hub City again.

"They offered me on Wednesday," he said. "I was offered by Texas Tech out of high school, too. I took a visit out there and I loved it. It was nice. When I was being recruited was when the whole Mike Leach thing was going on. That kind of ruined my idea of Tech at the time. But, I love Lubbock. It's a great time.

"I'm taking an official out there in November sometime. We've got to set up a date. It's definitely a nice place. The O-line coach called me and I like how he coaches his guys. They're definitely a solid runner in the race."

Tretola likes what Coach Kingsbury and his staff have done so far this season and has heard only good things about the Red Raider head coach.

"As far as Coach Kingsbury, he seems like a players' coach to the fullest," Tretola said. "I haven't had a chance to speak with him on the phone yet, but from what I've seen, the interactions, I like him. I actually have a JC coach back home who is good friends with him, and I've only heard good things."

For his second visit, the tackle feels he'll get a better feel for the workings of the program now that he's played for a D-I program.

"Obviously, when I was in high school, I got hit with the whole shock and awe factor," Tretola said. "When I took visits, it was all great everywhere. Now, after being at a D-I, seeing how it all operates, that will be my biggest thing on the visit. It will really be about seeing what all is really going on."

Tretola currently holds offers from Tech, Oklahoma, Cincinnati, USF and Idaho.

- McKay

---

We got a chance to catch up with Dallas (Texas) Skyline safety Derrick Dixon for the first time in a while, and it looks like the D.B. is finally getting over the high ankle sprain he suffered early on in the year. He likes the way that Skyline has been playing so far, and he's ready to get back on the field.

"We're working to get better," he said. "We can put a whole lot more effort into the things we've been doing so far, but I feel like we're starting to work harder as a team. I've been out for a while with that high ankle sprain, so last week was my first week back. It's feeling good. It's feeling great, actually. I'm really ready to just get back out there, show out, and show off what I've got. I'm super anxious to get out there."

Things are going great between Dixon and the Tech coaching staff, too. He's been keeping in touch with safeties coach Trey Haverty and inside receivers coach Eric Morris on a regular basis. Both Red Raider coaches are excited to bring the safety on board next fall.

"It's been going really good," Dixon said. "Coach Haverty checks on me and Coach Morris checks on me, too. It's just like, Coach Haverty, he's just happy that I'm actually coming down there. He's just really been checking in on me a lot."

Dixon has also loved the way that Tech's defense has played so far this fall. He loves the aggression and speed of the defensive backs.

"I feel really good about it," he said. "I've seen them play, and I like how they use their safeties. They're going to keep adding things whenever I get out there. I like it a lot. They look really good. They're fast, physical, and the DBs are very quick. I'm ready. I'm ready to get down there. I'm so excited."

- McKay

---

The Red Raiders also sent out another JUCO offer this week, this one to Dodge City (Kansas) C.C. defensive tackle Terrell Clinkscales.

Clinkscales was offered by the Red Raiders on Sunday, and he's in Ames, Iowa for a visit up to Iowa State this weekend.

The defensive tackle was having a great time on his visit when I got a brief chance to talk to him. He told me that Red Raider defensive line coach John Scott is the one recruiting him out to Lubbock.

He's enjoyed getting to know the former Georgia Southern coach and he's looking forward to knowing him better throughout the process.

"From what I've talked to him, Coach Scott seems like he's pretty down to earth," Clinkscales said. "But, I mean when you're getting recruited, everyone is going to treat you good and tell you what you want to hear. But coach Scott seem like a great guy, and he also seems like a really good coach."

Clinkscales also likes what Tech's done on the field so far this fall.

"I like the program as a whole," he said. "They're doing great things so far this year under Coach Kinsgbury, starting out with a 4-0 record with a few good wins."

As far as a visit, it looks like the JUCO lineman won't get out to Lubbock until mid-January, as that's the only date that will work with his schedule right now.

"I'll be visiting Tech on Jan. 10 through the 12th," Clinkscales said. "I'm looking forward to going out there, getting a better relationship with the coaches, and just see how they run things."

He currently holds offers from Texas Tech, Indiana, Iowa State, Illinois and Kansas State.

-McKay

This post was edited on 10/4 1:10 PM by A. Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News