ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (May 25th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

We start tonight with a quick update on Texas Tech's search for a quarterback. It appears at this point that the program has narrowed things down and is primarily focused on Prosper (Texas) quarterback Davis Webb. In fact, all signs are pointing to it being more of a question of when, not if, he is offered.

Even though you're just now hearing about the 6-foot-4, 195-pound prospect, don't take that to mean that the Red Raiders have just started looking at him.

"They've been recruiting me since my sophomore year," he said. "Tech is one of my top choices for a school."

Webb has also consistently performed at a high level when Tech coaches have evaluated him in person this spring. The feedback he said he has received from the Red Raiders has been extremely positive.

"They said I'm the best thrower they've seen this whole spring," Webb said. "I can really throw it, I'm accurate, that I can really spin it, and they said that they're very excited with my development and potential. They said they were going to go look at one more guy and let me know (about an offer) pretty soon."

As for when Webb might be offered? Keep an eye on the middle of next week.

- Dickens, McKay

---

Cibolo (Texas) Steele safety Jordan Sterns decommitted from Texas Tech on Thursday. The three-star prospect is still considering the Red Raiders, but felt like it would have been dishonest for him to look into other options while being "committed" to Tech.

"I didn't expect to get too many more offers after I committed to Tech," Sterns said. "I talked to my mom and dad and told them I wanted to open it back up just to see what would happen. I didn't want to be committed to Tech and have to go behind their backs and lie to them. I want to be honest with them."

As of right now, Oklahoma State and Baylor appear to be the two schools vying for Sterns' attention and TCU would enter the mix if they decide to offer as well.

"I'm going to go visit Oklahoma State and Baylor to see what they have to offer and see what their coaches are talking about," Sterns said. "I'm going to try to get a feel for their system and other coaches, because I haven't met too many of the Baylor and Oklahoma State coaches yet," Sterns explained. "I just want to explore my options and focus on other schools that have offered me recently and see what they have to offer."

Even though Sterns got cold feet with Tech, he said the Red Raiders are still in the mix.

"They're still at the top. The fact that they did offer me first gives them an upper hand in a lot of things," Sterns said. "Oklahoma State and Baylor, I haven't talk to the coaches that often compared to as much as I talk to the Tech coaches. That relationship with Texas Tech puts them at the top. I'm not cancelling them out.

"I'm just opening it back up and I want to see what happens. They're high up there. Like I said, I just want to go look around. I don't want to feel like I missed out on anything."

Sterns says he plans to keep the Tech coaches updated on everything that is going on with his visits and call them once a week because he feels it's important to maintain the coach to athlete relationship he has built up with defensive graduate assistant Jeff Howard and the rest of the staff.

After all of his various stops along the way, including a visit to Lubbock with his mom to start things off, Sterns plans to end his recruitment and make a final decision by the beginning of July.

While he still may be Tech's to lose, one thing that is for sure the next six weeks, things will be pretty interesting in the recruitment of Jordan Sterns.

- Rosen

---

The Red Raiders are in desperate need of filling some holes on the offensive line, and it looks like they may have found their latest target in Houston (Texas) Bellaire offensive tackle Dwayne Johnson. Johnson was pleased with the results of spring football and even picked up a few offers along the way.

"It went pretty good. Recruiting has heated up. It really has. I've picked up a few more offers," he said. "Colorado, SMU, Tulsa, and North Texas (have all offered)."

The Red Raiders have recently begun pursuing the big tackle. Johnson said that Tech has not offered yet, but he may get one with a good showing at Tech's first camp in Houston next weekend.

"No, they haven't offered yet. I talked to Coach (Chad) Scott yesterday," he said. "I'm waiting for the camp on June 1st. Myself and a fellow offensive lineman from my school will both go there."

The teammate that Johnson is speaking of is offensive guard Charles Sanders, whom Tech is recruiting as well. The duo has been holding things down on the o-line since the beginning of high school.

"We've been together since freshman year, became best of friends since then, and have just been leading the o-line."

Another teammate, who just happens to be committed to Tech is Rivals250 receiver Devin Lauderdale. Johnson said that Lauderdale had nothing but good things to say about Tech from their previous conversations. The tackle knows plenty about Tech on his own, seeing as he was in Lubbock for one of Tech's March junior days.

"(Lauderdale) has a lot of good things to say about it. He really does like Tech," he said. " I actually visited back in March and I was pretty pleased with it. It went well."

Someone else telling Johnson good things about Tech is running backs coach Chad Scott.

"Coach Scott is a great dude. He's real with everything and he's upfront. He tells you what you need to hear."

While he doesn't currently hold an offer, Johnson does believe that Tech will send one his way fairly soon.

He currently has no favorites and is going to wait until the late summer or fall to make a decision.

"I'm still not sure yet. I'm going to see what the summer brings, take a few visits, and then go from there."

Johnson currently holds offers from Colorado, North Texas, SMU and Tulsa.

- McKay

---

Even though Saint John's (Wisc.) Northwest Military Academy power forward Aaron Ross was signed with Tech assistant coach Chris Walker visited him at home to check up on him for no particular reason other than further introducing him to Red Raider basketball.

The visit left a lasting impression on Ross even though he already has a strong relationship with the Tech coaching staff.

"It means a lot to me," Ross said. "He had a lot of interesting things to tell me. He told me they're expecting big things from me right away and I feel like it's a blessing these guys are going to coach me."

Walker spent some of their time together telling Ross -- who says he is academically eligible -- what college life will be like and what the academic expectations are for him.

Ross plans on leaving Little Rock on June 4 or June 5 along with his former AAU teammate Dusty Hannahs.

"Oh man, it's a blessing to be playing with Dusty again," Ross said. "We played together on an AAU team and I was talking to him and told him we're going to do big things together again."

- Graham

---

We spoke with Giddings (Texas) running back Joseph Glenn a few weeks ago, and the tailback was waiting on his hamstring to heal up so he could work out for some teams that were coming by the school at the tail end of the spring.

The Red Raider coaching staff dropped by to check on him again on Tuesday, and Glenn is still having some trouble with said hamstring. The Tech coaching staff would like to see him participate in one of their camps in the coming weeks, but that will all depend on whether or not he's good to go by then. If Glenn were to participate, it would likely go a long way towards earning an offer.

- McKay

---

Van Alstyne (Texas) offensive tackle Alex Mayes could be a triple-legacy for the TCU football program, but don't count on him ending up a Horned Frog just yet.

First of all the Horned Frogs have not yet offered Mayes, but secondly he's high on the Red Raiders and has a lot of exposure to Tech thanks to his mom who graduated as a Red Raider.

"Both my dad and my grandpa played football for TCU but that has no effect on my decision at all," Mayes said. "I want to be my own person and go out. My mom went to Tech, but she didn't play any sports there. Both my dad and grandpa played for TCU."

Mayes said of the schools that have offered him Minnesota, Colorado and Kansas State are his top three.

However...

"If I could do a top three from around schools where it doesn't matter if they've offered me or not it'd probably be Minnesota, Tech and TCU to be honest."

Mayes said his father and grandfather have been instrumental in teaching him the game.

"Run blocking, I love run blocking," he said. "I love running people over. It's my passion man, I love what I do. I've had the great opportunity to work with some great coaches in the past and both my dad and granddad played college football and I've met some people who have been in the college football environment for a long time. They've all helped me in my run game technique and pass pro(tection)."

- Graham

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News