ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (December 7th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

When Prosper (Texas) quarterback and Texas Tech commit Davis Webb committed to the Red Raiders a huge portion of his decision to commit was due to his relationship with inside receivers coach Sonny Cumbie and offensive coordinator Neal Brown.

Of course, we all know that there is wide-spread talk about Brown's future with the Red Raiders and, when we called to ask about a new offer from TCU, Webb acknowledged the speculation in our conversation.

"Coach Cumbie came and talked to me about it at lunch," Webb said. "You know, I'm not really worried about it. Coach Brown, you've got to do what you've got to do. Being a coaches' kid I understand how it works. My dad has moved around a couple of schools because he had better job options open up that were better for his family. Coaching is a family business, but when you step back you have to look at your own family and what's best for them.

"I don't know what decision he's going to make at the end of the day, but he's a great offensive coordinator and I think he's going to be a great head coach whenever he gets that opportunity."

As a player who will graduate from high school in about a month, Webb said he was very aware of the Brown rumors wanted to discuss them with Cumbie.

"Coach Cumbie talked about Coach Brown's situation a little bit," Webb said. "I knew about the rumors, but I haven't put all that much into them because they might be false. But I think coach Brown is a great coach. He's been a great coach at Texas Tech and gotten his name out there so that's a credit to him and the school. Tech's had an explosive offense the past couple of years and that's a credit to his work ethic.

"Coach Brown's name is a good one out there. He's one of the best coordinators out there and it's obviously showing."

Webb doesn't think that it's a sure thing that Brown is leaving. But regardless, he'll be a Red Raider in a month despite TCU's recent attempt to flip him.

"You never know," he said. "You can't really say if he's going to leave or not. At the end of the day it comes down to if he really wants to. That's Coach Brown's decision. As for me, I'm 100 percent committed to Texas Tech. I'm not going anywhere. I committed there a little bit because of Coach Brown and Coach Cumbie, but I committed to Texas Tech University because I want to be part of the red and black. I want to play in the Jones in front of 65,000 people. That's the main reason I went there.

"If Coach Brown decides to leave, I totally understand how the coaching business works. It's very slim a coach will be with you all four years, but I hope Coach Brown comes back because he's a great offensive coordinator and could help maximize me."

Webb's high school career ended last week with a playoff loss last week but the quarterback has not slowed down much.

Aside from finishing up a school project with Torii Hunter Jr. when we called, Webb is doing a workout his father and Prosper offensive coach Matt Webb has designed for him.

"I'm motivated to be the best I can be when I get there before all the coaching I'll get," Webb said. "I want to be the best leader and best teammate I can be. I'm working pretty hardcore, running a lot. Me and my dad, he's got a routine for me we're getting after pretty good. I'm excited I'm going to be out there Jan. 13 for orientation and a month after that we have spring ball."

- Graham

---

Webb isn't the only Tech commit that is aware of the speculation surrounding Brown. Houston Bellaire receiver Devin Lauderdale also mentioned the Brown speculation to us and noted that he plans on signing with Tommy Tuberville's program in February no matter what happens.

"I don't really have any concerns over that," Lauderdale said. "I've read about it. He's played a very big role in my recruitment, but I'm still signing with Tech on Signing Day regardless of who the coaches are."

With the Red Raiders playing a bowl game in Lauderdale's hometown, look for the four-star receiver to make an appearance at a practice or two.

"They've invited me out," Lauderdale said. "I'll be spending a lot of time with them later this month. I'm excited they're coming to Houston and I'm going to be spending a lot of time with the staff."

- Graham

---

The Texas Tech coaching staff has hit the road to recruit key prospects from the JUCO ranks before the Dec. 19 signing period and Brenham (Texas) Blinn C.C. safety Tevin Broussard is the latest player to receive an offer from the Red Raiders.

Less than a week ago, Broussard was met with a surprise visit from Red Raider defensive backs coach John Lovett, who got a hold of his impressive film through the coaching grapevine, and eventually a surprise offer.

"It just came out of the blue. The first time I talked to him was Thursday and he just came up here and offered," Broussard said. "Last year, our defensive coordinator, his name is Coach Clay, they used to coach together and Coach Clay put in a word for me. He went and watched my film and liked me so he came up here."

In 2010, Broussard was a full qualifier coming out of high school in Beaumont but he only received offers to play for various FCS programs in the area. Feeling that he was overlooked and deserved to play for bigger program, the safety prospect decided to accept an offer from Blinn and take the JUCO route in his football career.

Having redshirted his freshman season of community college, the December graduate has only two years to play two at the next level.

"Then Blinn offered me and I knew I was better than DI-AA, so I went to Blinn. I was a full qualifier," he said. "I started off at corner at Blinn and we were deep at corner so I had to redshirt. When the spring came, I asked the coach if I could move to safety because that's what I played in high school. I moved to safety and I've been starting ever since."

Broussard, who has never been to Lubbock, will be visiting next week to get a first-hand glimpse of what the Red Raiders have to offer.

Former Blinn teammate and current Texas Tech deep snapper Trent Williams offered up some positive opinions to Broussard about his time at Texas Tech.

"I talked to Trent," Broussard said, "he said it was a big transition but that the coaches are really cool and they work with you. Just the whole thing, he said he really likes it."

As it stands, the JUCO safety lists Texas Tech and UTSA as his two finalists. Given both school's conference affiliation, the Red Raiders are poised to take the lead for his services after he reaffirms everything that has moved so swiftly the past few days.

"Those are high chances," the safety said. "If I really like it then I'm going to commit because they're in a bigger conference than UTSA. I always wanted to play in the biggest and best conference because that's where the best competition is at. That does play a factor."

Broussard holds offers from Texas Tech, UTSA, Kansas State, Texas State and Florida International.

- Rosen

---

From growing up in Toronto and playing Canadian rules football in high school, playing at two different junior colleges, amassing nearly 20 major FBS offers and becoming a highly coveted recruit, four-star offensive lineman Josiah St. John is finally nearing a decision on where he will play at the next level.

The 6-foot-6 tackle prospect has narrowed his list down to Texas Tech and Oklahoma as his two finalists, although he does have an official visit scheduled with Kansas this weekend.

As you can imagine the Tech coaching staff, mainly offensive line coach Chris Thomsen, has been making the effort to get out to Athens to see St. John as of late. The most recent visit came Tuesday of this week where Coach Thomsen was accompanied by offensive coordinator Neal Brown on the trip.

"Coach Thomsen came down here a couple of times and we've been talking about the process, my decision and making sure Texas Tech is still at the top of my list," St. John said. "I said that Tech is up there alongside Oklahoma. Those are my two top schools right now. Coach Brown, the offensive coordinator, came out with him to the school yesterday. We talked about the process and other stuff also. I've talked to him before on my visit (to Lubbock)."

St. John had a chance to return home to Canada over the Thanksgiving break to discuss some of the more important factors about his decision with his family. Keeping the closeness of family in mind regarding his decision, St. John says a tight-knit bond with the school and staff will be one of the main factors in his decision.

"Comfort and somewhere that I'll feel at home," he explained. "I'm not going to be very close to my home so I want to go a home environment. A coach that can mentor me, and a good place I can also develop as a person and have the opportunity to play football. That's what I want."

Like most JUCO prospects with limited eligibility, playing time is also another obvious factor in his decision. St. John doesn't consider the issue to be the only point of emphasis, but says it will weigh heavily on his decision and that one school could provide a better situation where he could see the field faster.

"Probably Tech," St. John decided. "It's not a huge factor but it's a good factor though, probably, the deciding factor. Playing time, like all the other schools, I'm going to have to come in and compete for a spot. It's football."

Trinity Valley teammate and 2013 Tech linebacker commit Dakorey Johnson is one of many people associated with the Red Raiders' program excited about the possibility of St. John donning the Red and Black next season.

"Yeah he has," St. John said one whether Johnson has been pitching him on Tech. "He's excited about it. He wants me to come there to play and says that I'll be a difference maker there. He's excited about the possibility of me being a commit there."

With so many fans, media outlets, coaches, teammates, family members, you name it, interested in where he will go, St. John can find solace that he is almost at the decision part of the process and has somewhat figured out where he wants to play football at the next level.

"I'm kind of going back and forth," he said. "Not totally, totally made up, but I'm pretty close with a decision right now."

- Rosen

---

With Tech officially out of the running for tight end Beau Sandland, the Red Raiders will have to look elsewhere in the 2013 class to fill depth at the position. Even though he already held an offer and Tech would've gladly taken him alongside Sandland, the focus takes a significant shift to San Joaquin (Calif.) Delta tight end De'Marieya Nelson.

Red Raider inside receiver coach Sonny Cumbie, who was traveling up and down the west coast earlier in the week, made it a point to stop by and visit with versatile prospect.

"The insides receivers coach, Cumbie, came out here and I chilled with him for a while today (Wednesday). He's a great guy," Nelson said. "We just talked about some of the schemes, about how it is out there, what kind of people are out there, just life out at Texas Tech. He was talking about using me on starting offense as an inside receiver type of guy. According to him, due to my versatility, I'll be able to move around, but that they wouldn't want to throw too much at me at one time."

Nelson is scheduled to take an official visit to Lubbock Dec. 14 weekend. From everything he has heard from the coaches, Tech sounds like a great fit for the JUCO tight end.

"I'm expecting to see big things," Nelson said. "I think I'll be able to go out there and see the team practice. Everything he said, I can picture myself being out there. I can see myself living in a Texas Tech environment. Really, just me feeling comfortable at the end of the day is what's going to matter the most."

The fact that Nelson is a May grad gives him a little extra time in the recruiting process compared to December graduates, which is why he doesn't plan to rush his decision. However, if the visit goes well, Nelson does not deny there is a possibility he could commit shortly after returning home from West Texas.

"Yes sir, maybe shortly after," he said about the possibility of committing if the visit goes well. "I would love to come back and speak about it with my family first. They just want to make sure that whatever decision I do decide to make is what's best for me."

As a player that has to overcome a few hardships and ill-fitting situations in his post-high school football career, Nelson says the structure in place within Tech's program is standing out to him the most out of everything.

"It's just the character in that program, it looks and sounds like they take very good care of their players," he said. "It's just a well respected and disciplined program."

Nelson took an official to San Diego State last weekend, Nov. 30, and will check out Utah State this weekend. He will likely plan a visit to Nevada at a later time.

Nelson holds offers from Tech, San Diego State, Nevada, Utah State, Fresno State, Memphis, Western Michigan and Old Dominion.

- Rosen

---

Bradenton (Fla.) Manatee defensive tackle Derrick Calloway stirred up a Twitter frenzy among Tech fans earlier this week.

Based on the content of his tweets, it seemed as if the four-star prospect had committed to the Red Raiders. However, that notion ended being a little premature as Calloway is still weeks away from a decision.

"I want to commit to Texas Tech, but I want to go on their campus and see things for myself because I have to see the campus first before I commit," he said. "The coaches told me it's a beautiful place and everything, but I want to see it for myself."

Manatee, who is the defending state champion in Class 7A football, is currently in the middle of another deep playoff run with a chance to defend their title. Therefore, Calloway won't be able to schedule official visits to Texas Tech and the other finalists, Missouri, Florida and Arkansas, until the season is over.

"I wouldn't want to go out any other way my senior year," he said. "We're undefeated in the regular season also. We have one more game this Friday and the next Friday if we win would be state. We could be the first team in a long time, maybe ever, to win state back-to-back.

"I'm thinking about doing track again too because last year we won state for football and I also won state in shot put. It would be a good this to do to win state back to back in football and win shot put two times in a row. It's a pretty good feeling."

Calloway says Tech is out in front right now, with Missouri and Florida in somewhat far behind them, although reiterates anything can still change once he takes his official visits.

- Rosen

---

Munday (Texas) athlete Dee Paul led his squad to yet another victory in steamroll fashion over the weekend. Paul said that the team has really been clicking since the playoffs began, and he loves playing in Munday's explosive offense.

"We won 66-13," he said. "I think it was like 33-0 in the first quarter. We were scoring pretty fast. We got out there and took care of business. We scored really fast and we executed really well. We have so many weapons on our offense. It's crazy."

As Paul's team has rolled through the playoffs, several members of the Texas Tech coaching staff have made a trip out to watch him play. Inside receivers coach Sonny Cumbie watched the senior play two weeks ago, and defensive backs coach John Lovett was planning on catching last weekend's game against Hamlin.

Lovett made it out on Monday instead, and it appears that the two had a great conversation about his future as a defensive back should Paul choose Tech.

"Coach Lovett actually showed up on Monday this week," Paul said. "He just pretty much was honest with me and said that he wasn't promising for me to come in and start, but he promised me that I would get my chance because Texas Tech really needs defensive backs. He was just telling me that I would get my chance. If it turns out that as a true freshman you're starting, then so be it. I really like that."

Coming in and playing as a true freshman would require Paul to learn on the fly, and he feels like he could do so under the experienced tutelage of a veteran coach such as Lovett.

"That's great in a coach," Paul said. "Hopefully he can bring the best out in me if I choose to go there. Defensive back is a hard position to play. You have to have a really good coach, use good technique and what not, so to have a coach that really knows the position and how to coach it, that's great because I want to be a great defensive back."

The Red Raiders aren't the only team vying for his signature, though. Oklahoma State has put on the full-court press as well, and Pokes' DBs coach Jason Jones was in Munday to see Paul on Wednesday afternoon.

"Oklahoma State's DBs coach, Coach Jones, he came by my house and the school on Wednesday. He said that he knows football. He said that I had a good family, and we talked about their family environment and Coach Mike Gundy. I really like him a lot, too."

The last time that we spoke with Paul, he said that the Red Raiders and Cowboys were in a virtual deadlock. Things haven't changed much since then, but the versatile prospect made note that Tech's coaching staff has been in contact with much more frequency that Oklahoma State's.

"Right now everything is pretty much even," Paul said. "Don't get me wrong, Texas Tech gets in touch with me a lot more than Oklahoma State does. Texas Tech, they call a lot, a whole lot. But, I like Oklahoma State. When I visited, it was just a family environment, and that's what I really, really liked. But, I really like Tech a lot, too. They've been to a couple of my games and they've called me a lot. Right now, it's pretty much an even race. I'm just really focused on winning a state championship."

- McKay

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News