ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (August 23rd)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

I caught up with Cibolo (Texas) Steele running back and Tech commit Justin Stockton on Thursday and the tailback can't wait to get his senior season kicked off next Friday night. He feels that he had a really good summer, and he wants to end things with a bang by walking off the field with a state championship as well as one specific personal accolade.

"Man, we're fired up," he said. "We're ready to get it on. We've got a good game plan going into next week so we're ready. It's, man, it went by really fast. I feel like I was in eighth grade yesterday. I really just want to do my part for this team and I want to get a state ring. I'm just trying to do my part to make us better. Seeing as it's my last year, I want to get that state ring and really get to the Army All-American Bowl."

As I said, Stockton really likes how well his summer went and he feels that he got much better at two things; finding daylight and making quicker cuts.

"I worked really hard, and the thing I feel like really got better at this summer was seeing the hole and seeing where I needed to take my cuts and everything like that," he said. "Just sharper cuts."

The running back has been keeping up with Tech running backs coach Mike Jinks whenever he gets a chance, too. The two have been keeping each other up to date on their fall camps and it sounds like Jinks is excited about the way his running backs have been performing so far.

" I've been talking to Coach Jinks when I can," Stockton said. "He's obviously busy with fall camp and meetings and all that. I've been talking to him, and we always have really good conversations when we talk. He said that his running backs have all been playing really good. He's just been telling me to finish what we started, have a good senior year. Then he'll see me when I get there."

Speaking of the Tech running backs, the Red Raiders will return every single player in the unit in 2014. Stockton is excited to join the talented stable of runners and he's ready to try and prove himself worthy of a spot next summer and fall.

"I definitely like competition," he said. "I don't want anyone to think that just because I'm going to be playing for my high school coach that I'm going to be playing right away. Competition, it'll be a new level for me. It's going to be fun going out there with those guys."

Stockton is also excited that he's going to have a team to root for on Saturdays.

"It's gonna be really fun on Saturdays because now I can cheer for Tech," the running back said. "I used to just cheer for different schools, but now I've got my school. It's going to be really fun watching them this fall."

Many players are also starting to make official visit plans for the fall. It's looking like Stockton will make his way to West Texas for the Iowa State game.

"I'll probably make it out there for the Iowa State game," he said. "I'm very excited. I didn't get to visit this summer, and I'm definitely excited to get up there for a visit."

- McKay

---

Another senior getting ready to start his final season in high school is Manvel (Texas) defensive tackle Justin Gardner.

Gardner, who was offered by Tech back in July, wants to finish off his high school career with a state championship ring and he believes that Manvel has the personnel on defense to do just that.

"I've been waiting since my freshman year for this moment, watching the seniors make it all the way to state," the defensive tackle said. "I've been preparing myself for this year, working with my teammates and I believe we have one of the best defenses in the state. We will prove it in the next 16 games when we get that ring."

Gardner really only has three goals this fall.

"My goals for this fall are to make first team all-district, sign with my dream school, and make my family proud," he said.

Who is that dream school?

From my conversation with the defensive tackle, it sounds like it may be Texas Tech. The senior has decided that he's going to stay in-state for his collegiate career and two schools are really looking at him right now. They are Tech and Houston.

Gardner has been keeping in touch with the Red Raider staff, cornerbacks coach Kevin Curtis in particular, on a regular basis and he, along with the rest of the coaches, are ready to see what Gardner does this fall.

"They tell me that they're really ready to see me play and dominate this year," he said. "They're all good coaches. I'm ready to see what they'll teach me when I get up there."

Gardner is planning on getting up to Lubbock as much as he can this fall. He's not sure when he'll visit, but he's ready to be a part of the Texas Tech game day experience.

"I don't know when I'm going to get up there, but I'll be going to some of their games," he said. "I'm really ready to see the field, a packed stadium all in red, the thousands of fans in the stands that scream your name. I could do that all my life."

Gardner talks up Tech a lot. In fact, they're at the top of his list right now.

"Tech is definitely my favorite school," the defensive tackle said. "Plus, one of my former teammates goes there, Carlos Thompson. We're like family. As far as a decision, I plan on committing either during or after the season."

Gardner currently holds an offer from Tech.

- McKay

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News