ADVERTISEMENT

Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (August 17th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

---

Davis Webb catches a glimpse of himself every now and then on ESPN's recap of the Elite 11 camp this summer.

Sure it's cool to be on TV on a channel the majority of Americans have, but Webb is now occupied with a much bigger task at hand. He wants to take his Prosper (Texas) team to state before arriving in Lubbock and, ironically, he will take on the very Keller (Texas) team he quarterbacked a season ago in the first week of the regular season.

"We're scrimmaging the Argyle Eagles and there's a big rivalry between the two schools," Webb said. "At Prosper, they lost to them in the playoffs (after Prosper beat Argyle) in the regular season so it's a little bit of a rivalry game for a scrimmage. I'm very excited about it. We've been watching their film and we're taking it very seriously here."

After the scrimmage comes an anticipated game between Webb and his former Keller Indians team.

"I love every single one of those guys," Webb said. "I didn't want to leave there, but those are the cards that were dealt. I'm happy to be at Prosper now. Definitely am. I'm excited to play Keller. I bet they're excited to play me. I don't think there's any bad blood out there because the way I left wasn't really anyone's fault. It just happened.

"I think it will be really fun and a little different because I was with those guys for five or six years. I'm excited, it's just one game and I'm treating it like a regular game."

Prospers' fall workouts began Sunday with 'Midnight Madness.'

Webb said it different playing in a one high school town than it is in Keller where there are multiple high schools close together.

"It was different because in Keller we had four different schools and 3,000 kids," he said. "In Prosper there is one high school with 1,300 kids. The whole town was in the stadium so it was a pretty cool experience. The deal went from about 11 p.m. to about 4 a.m. and I don't think anyone left. It was a cool experience and something I'll definitely remember the rest of my life."

Prosper fans are excited to see the quarterback who competed in the final round of the Elite 11 camp and is committed to Tech, but Webb said he does not feel much pressure on him.

"We've been talking about a state championship," he said. "The idea of winning one has permeated the whole team. Our motto is, 'Win today.' I don't really worry about all that. I just worry about what I can do today. We just worry about that one day. Tomorrow, we'll win tomorrow."

- Graham

---

Lubbock Estacado 2014 running back Robert Johnson is another player who has put on the pads.

The Matadors will host Hereford (Texas) Aug. 30 at Lubbock's Lowery Field and Johnson is hoping to impress more college coaches.

The Tech coaches are interested in the hometown kid but other schools have not reached out to him yet.

"Nothing much has happened," the soft-spoken running back said. "I like Tech. The coaches there are cool. No other schools are talking to me right now."

Last season, the Matadors advanced to the second round of the Class 3A Division II playoffs and arguably played their worst game of the season against Monahans (Texas).

Johnson wants to surpass the 2011 season as a junior.

"I want to get back to where we were and farther," he said.

- Graham

---

Texas Tech's 2011 class signed a shade over 18 months ago, and many of the team's players have been on campus for just over a year. Yet it's not at all a stretch to call that group the backbone of the 2012 Red Raiders.

While the headliners of the team are of course guys like Seth Doege, Cody Davis, D.J. Johnson, Cornelius Douglas, Eric Ward, Darrin Moore, LaAdrian Waddle, Deveric Gallington and the like, the 2011 class dominates Tech's depth chart.

The depth chart right now changes every day due to injuries and the natural ebb and flow of camp, so it's hard to get a firm handle on who is where at each spot. That being said, look back at the last official depth chart that the program released -- 19 of the 44 players listed for offense and defense signed in 2011. And that group doesn't even include guys like Derek Edwards, Pete Robertson, Marcus Kennard and Kenny Williams.

I asked Michael Brewer about his class Thursday after practice. If you will recall, he played a notable role that year quarterbacking the class.

"It's no secret that a lot of those guys are starting to perform and show out," Brewer said. "They're a great group of guys. Whenever we were all going through the recruiting process, I was doing whatever I could to get them here and they did the same with others people. There's just such a great camaraderie between all of us that came in through that 2011 class.

"I think we all feel really comfortable with each other, and I think it's pretty clear when we're all in together. Things click. I think there's going to be a lot of good things that happen in the future with that class and I'm really looking forward to it."

- Dickens

---

I caught up with Tech 2013 commit Maurice Chandler, who is busy getting ready for his upcoming senior season where he is slated to see some playing time on both sides of the ball.

"We are looking pretty good. Our defense is looking pretty stout and we're looking good on the offense side too," he said. "Right now they got me at back up H-receiver and of course starting defensive back, so I'm kind of playing both sides a little bit."

The thought was that Chandler could be on the verge of an in-state offer from Oklahoma State, however the Lawton (Okla.) native says nothing has come to fruition at this point.

If the offers from the Sooners or Cowboys are ever extended, it doesn't sound like it would impact his commitment to the Red Raiders.

"Nah, I'm pumped," Chandler said. "I'd probably say I'm good and that I'm solid to Texas Tech right now."

Chandler is still talking to the coaches on a regular basis on the phone and Facebook where the staff is keeping him informed about how things are going in the Hub City.

The defensive back commit says he will most likely take his official visit to Lubbock for the Red Raiders early October matchup with the Sooners. He plans to get with the coaches and finalize that visit in the near future.

- Rosen

---

As some will recall, Los Angeles (Calif.) California Price 2012 point guard Trey Dickerson recently got a visit from assistant men's basketball coach Chris Walker at an AAU game in Atlantic City. Dickerson thought he might become a recipient of an offer from the Red Raiders, but Tech may take a while to decide now.

Dickerson, who is a 2012 non-qualifier at the moment, will likely end up a 2013 prep player.

The point guard is hoping to schedule a visit to Lubbock in the coming days.

"I was talking to Coach (Chris) Walker, and me and him are going to set up a date for me to come down there for an official and take a visit and check the campus out, get a feel for the campus, meet some of the players, just have a good time out there, and see where it goes from there," he said. "We haven't made a specific date yet, but we're going to talk about it tonight or tomorrow morning or something. Whenever he calls me, he'll let me know."

Dickerson told me that head coach Billy Gillispie would like to see him before offering. If Tech were to offer, however, the Red Raiders would likely earn his commitment. It's also worth noting that he's buddies with AAU foe and current Tech freshman point guard Josh Gray.

"If Tech offered me, honestly I probably would commit. I talk to Josh Gray every day, and he's like a brother to me. Coach Walker is cool. We've got a really good relationship. Me and Coach G have a really good relationship too. I just feel really confident with Texas Tech right now."

- McKay

---

Of the quarterbacks to attend Tech's Cy-Ridge camp in Houston earlier this summer, Humble (Texas) Summer Creek 2014 signal caller Aaron Sharp was arguably the most notable standout. The signal caller has been getting attention from several BCS programs and thinks he'll begin receiving more attention this fall.

"I've been getting letters from Nebraska recently. Nebraska and Utah, I've been getting letters from them," he said, "(I've also been talking to) Texas Tech, Northwestern, and a few other schools. It's been kind of slow. I think most of the coaches have been saying that they would really start getting in contact with me on September 1st."

Sharp is also hoping to see a few college football games, possibly even a Tech game.

"I'm planning on making it to a Texas Tech game, UTEP game, and also a U of H game," he said. "I'm not sure (which Tech game I'll go to) yet. I'm thinking maybe the TCU game when they come down here closer. We'll see if we can go over there, visit (with the coaches), and go to a game."

The Red Raiders seem to really, really like the quarterback and have apparently put him at the top of the list for 2014.

"I've been getting a lot of letters. (Neal Brown) told me about a month or so ago that they were going to be contacting me a lot come September 1st. They said that, as of right now, they've got me at the top on the list of quarterbacks in 2014."

Sharp had a really good time at the Cy-Ridge camp in June. He liked all the drills the coaches put him through and thinks the camp will help him this fall.

"It was a really good camp. We made a lot of throws, which I really like. Just watching Texas Tech play, they throw the ball a lot," he said. "We worked on a lot of fundamentals and techniques that Texas Tech uses that can apply to anybody's offense."

Sharp doesn't just like Tech for the offense. He also likes the education. He feels that Tech could be a good fit and definitely likes the Red Raiders.

"It's a good school. I didn't get into it until they started recruiting me, before that I just watched football, but now I'm looking into it education wise to see if it's a fit for me. it's somewhat close to home, and environmental wise it looks like a place that could be a fit for me. I like them for football and education both."

Sharp currently holds an offer from UTEP.

- McKay

This post was edited on 8/16 11:43 PM by A. Dickens

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News