ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Texas Tech close to major additions (STORY UP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
I just got off the phone with 2010 Lakeland (Fla.) athlete Javares McRoy (5-foot-9, 165-pounds) are set to visit Texas Tech in January. Unless that visit goes poorly, the McRoy brothers will be formally committing to the Red Raiders.

Their legal guardian, Bruce Mandish, declined to use the word "commitment" when discussing their status, but my interpretation of the situation is that the two have verbally pledged to the program pending the outcome of that January visit.

Texas Tech receivers coaches Lincoln Riley and Dennis Simmons were in Florida over the bye as Ben told me that they visited his school last week. From what I've been told by a source in Florida, Florida head coach Urban Meyer attended one of Lakeland's games during the Gators' bye week.

Ben will be grayshirted, meaning he will sign in February (his visit will be an official) but won't arrive on campus until January of 2011. From what we understand, he has also been offered by FIU, Kansas State and UCF. He has not really gotten into where he will line up once he joins the program, but he will bring a lot of speed to the table. Ben won the Polk County title in the 200m with a time of 21.8; he also won the county title in the 100m with a time of 10.68 but his personal best in the event is 10.48.

Ben primarily plays running back for Lakeland and through eight games (couldn't find stats for his last two games) he had rushed for 543 yards and five touchdowns on 52 carries -- that's 10.44 yards per tote.

Javares is one of the top 2011 prospects in the country regardless of position, holding early offers from Florida, Florida State, Tennessee, Cal, North Carolina and Texas Tech. He is also a speedster, posting a personal best 10.65 in the 100m earlier this spring.

He was not home when I called, but I should be able to speak with him tomorrow afternoon.

The two brothers are extremely close and, as Ben explained to me, they have been waiting for a program to enter the picture that genuinely wants them both. And Texas Tech clearly wants them both. The two of them have been playing football together since Ben was seven, save for the one year that Ben was in high school and Javares was still in junior high, so none of the Florida sources that I've spoken with think that there's any realistic possibility that they won't play their college ball together.
This post was edited on 11/9 11:48 PM by A. Dickens

McRoy brothers 'pretty much committed'

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News