ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Texas Tech adds two out-of-state commits (STORY UP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
We first reported about this situation a month or so ago and I wanted to pass along what I just found out based on talking to Ben and Javares McRoy. These two brothers and receivers from Lakeland, Florida were close to committing to Texas Tech in early November but a month later that situation has changed and for the better if you're a fan of the Red Raiders

Here is what each brother just told me in separate conversations:

Ben McRoy (2010 signee, gray shirt, won't enroll at Texas Tech until January of 2011):

"We saw them in person last night, Coach Riley and Coach Simmons. We were ready to get to the end of the process and it's easily the best fit for us so we both committed. It's the best school for us and we want to head to Texas Tech. My brother and I want to be together and this is where it will be. I'm going to play receiver there but I'm not moving to Lubbock until January."

Ben said he's currently 5-foot-9 and 165-pounds, runs a 4.4 40 and anticipates playing inside receiver at Texas Tech.

Javares McRoy (2011 signee, one of the top wideouts in the state of Florida for 2011, a Rivals250 type):

"Yeah we wanted to get it over with. I committed to Coach Riley on the phone a while ago. Texas Tech is our school. We felt the most comfortable with their coaches too. Coach Riley and Coach Simmons made us feel great about the situation there and we were ready to end it. We'll be there in January sometime to take a visit. I'm excited and excited to be a Red Raider."

Javares already holds offers from Florida, Florida State, Cal, North Carolina and Tennessee for next year. He's also likely to see time at inside receiver in this offense but as you'll see below he could return punts and kicks as well.

2009 Season Stats:

Keep in mind that these statistics are for a 5A team that went 13-1 and finished as a state semifinalist. These two guys did everything for their team on offense and special teams and they just came up short last night which ended their season.

Ben's Stats:
Rushing Yards: 863
Rushing TD's: 5
Average Yards Per Carry: 9
Average Yards Per Game: 66.4
Receiving Yards: 101
Receiving TD's: 3
Punt Return: 1 for 29 yards
Kick Return Average: 52.3 (3 returns, 1 TD)

Javares' Stats:
Rushing Yards: 325
Rushing TD's: 2
Average Yards Per Carry: 9.3
Average Rushing Yards Per Game: 27
Receiving Yards: 760
Receiving TD's: 8
Average Yards Per Reception: 22.2
Average Receiving Yards Per Game: 63
Punt Return Average: 18.7 (11 returns this year for 2 TD's)
Kick Return Average: 17.8 (8 returns)

Final Comment: Not sure I need to elaborate much on how big this is for Texas Tech's program. Credit Lincoln Riley and Dennis Simmons a lot for getting on this situation early, staying on it and figuring out a way to get it done because these two kids are coming to Texas Tech for these two coaches as much as they are for this offense. Also, while Javares will get the headlines don't sleep on Ben because he's a very good prospect in his own right and can help a team in several different ways as a skill player on offense. As stated earlier both players and their family will be here for a visit (Ben officially and Javares unofficially) on January 15th.

Enjoy the rest of your Saturday and we'll have more on these guys in the next 48 hours.

Ben and Javares McRoy Highlights
This post was edited on 12/12 6:19 PM by A. Dickens

Texas Tech adds two out-of-state commits

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News