ADVERTISEMENT

Bowl Game Thoughts

dedfischer

Techsan
Gold Member
Nov 7, 2002
That first 15 seconds didn't feel very good, but things slowly and steadily turned around for us. Not a lot, but I did focus on some individuals, specifically the young guys who will play a key role this year.

- LT Ty Buchanan - I was really interested to see what we had here given our GM, who knows a lot about OL play, let Monroe Mills walk. He's not dumb and wouldn't have done that, if the upside on Buchanan wasn't high. And, I think that it is. He's got a really lean frame that needs to bulk up, but man is he athletic and physical with extremely long arms for pass blocking. His footwork was impressive on pass blocking and he did a great job finding targets in the run game and being physical at the point of attack. I like this guy. Reminds me of an Oregon tackle during the Chip Kelly hay days, which may facilitate more outside zone that we haven't been effective at since the days of Le'Raven Clark and Rashad Fortenberry.

- DL Dooda Banks - The book on Banks coming out of high school was all about motor. Zarnell Fitch has done outstanding work in coaching him up and his massive frame ushers in a new era of Tech interior DL that doesn't rely on over achievers. Banks is an extremely powerful human being, whose leverage has improved greatly under Fitch's tutelage. He's hard to move when he plays with good pad level and his long arms allow him to shed guards and put himself in play for TFLs in the run game and QB pressures on passing plays. He's got a first guy off the bus, NFL frame and, if the effort and pad level can become consistent, he'll be a step in the right direction for controlling the point of attack.

- DE Amier Washington - The true freshman had impressive film coming out of high school and certainly proved to be the breakout star of the bowl game. As a matter of fact, I had him down as the bowl game MVP on only 30 snaps. This dude completely took over the game in the second half. Quick, quick, quick off the ball, but it's the violence in his hands that really made him stand out. Stat lines like he had on a mere 30 snaps aren't flukes and his thick frame suggests he'll have no trouble playing at 290 next season from his currently listed 275. I'm genuinely fired up to see our young defensive front next year, especially when Dylan Spencer is thrown into the mix. With Banks, Washington and Spencer, we could see glimpses of the ultimate unicorn defense of being able to pressure the passer with a 3-man front. That's what recruiting will do for you.

- Edge Charles Esters III - While his stat line wasn't as flashy as Washington's, Esters had more opportunities with Spencer's absence and proved to be serviceable in applying pressure. As Cal needed to get back in the game, Esters and Washington were having none of it with the pressure they applied on pass attempts. He may not be a star, but he's capable of being a valuable piece of the rotation for keeping pass rushers fresh.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News