ADVERTISEMENT

Big Day in the @ttukevin Household

ttukevin

Baylor Bold
Gold Member
Dec 31, 2009
Chile
Today is a huge day for my family and me. 20 years ago today I took my last drink and did my last drug.

I had gotten in trouble with the law a few times and the judge kindly said I could go to rehab or I’d be in prison my next screw up. At the time it was an easy choice as I knew I’d be in prison or dead within a few years the way I was going. With the help of my wonderful parents I went off to a year long rehab in Arizona. I had no intentions of being sober, I just didn’t want to go to prison. In fact, at my first AA meeting I got a 2 month chip because I thought they were asking what our goal was 😂😂.

After completing rehab and having a year or so of sobriety under my belt I had no clue what to do with my life and my mom mentioned this program at some university in West Texas called The Collegiate Recovery Community at Texas Tech. So I figured what the hell and applied to some university 8 hours from my support system.

At the time (20 years old), I took the scariest step of my life and went to Texas Tech. I was so worried I would fall back into old habits but knew this could be a life changing step for me. And my goodness was it life changing! Texas Tech gave me an immediate recovery support system and I never looked back. I made life long friends and was able to get through school sober. Texas Tech means just a little more to me than most people would think, it literally gave me a chance at life and I will forever be grateful for our wonderful university.

If anyone is struggling with addiction there is a better way and i am proof of that. If I can get through the many lows of tech athletics completely sober, anyone can!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News