ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 baseball: A look at this weekend and overall standings

RaiderRedTTU

🌵Cactus Club🌵
Gold Member
Aug 11, 2011
Hello all. Texas Tech will open their weekend series vs Baylor starting tonight. Texas Tech has a record of 19-15 (4-5). I would expect Ryan Moseley to get the start tonight. He is coming off a great Friday night start against TCU, where he went 8 IP, while only giving up 2 runs (1 ER) on 3 hits, stirking out 7 and only walking 3.

Baylor comes in at 13-19 (4-5) and are 1-6 in their last 7 games. Baylor was swept by Texas State this past weekend before winning a midweek game against UTA. The Bears opened Big 12 play getting swept by TCU, but have won their last 2 series against WVU and OU, winning 2 of 3 games against each team. Baylor comes in with a team BA of of .260 and have only hit 5 home runs on the year (for comparison, Tyler Neslony and Stephen Smith each have 4 home runs). Baylor has committed 50 errors on the year and have a .959 fielding percentage, compared to Tech who has 29 errors and a .967 fielding percentage.

Daniel Castano appears to be Baylor's Friday night starter, who last pitched against TSU this past weekend and went 5.1 IP giving up 4 runs (all earned), on 4 hits, walking 5 and striking out 4. Castano comes in with a 2-3 record and a 2.40 ERA. Castano has appeared in 9 games, with 7 of those appearances being starts, giving up a .268 BA to opponents.

Tech comes in losing 4 of their last 5 games, with one of those games being a tough one to ORU that was lost in the 8th inning after leading the whole game. Tech will need to see an increase of hitting and pitching if they want to take the series, or potentially sweep the Bears this weekend. Both teams have been reeling as of late, and a series win this weekend will do wonders for either team.

As far as the Big 12 standings go, Oklahoma State is pacing the league at 7-2, with TCU and OU hot on their heels with a 6-3 record. Texas is the last Big 12 team with a winning conference record at 5-4, with Baylor, Texas Tech and WVU all having a 4-5 league record. Bringing up the rear are KU and KSU with a 1-5 and 2-7 record respectively.

-OSU will be visiting KU this weekend in Lawrence, one could expect a series win, with a good possibility of a sweep.
-TCU will be traveling to Manhattan to take on KSU, again, a series win or sweep would be likely for the Frogs.
-Oklahoma will take on Texas in Austin this weekend, in what I think, will be the best Big 12 match up for the conference. I'm going to give OU the nod and series win this weekend.
-WVU will play a non-con series against Butler this weekend, who has a losing record on the season at 13-18 and are 0-3 in conference this year so far.
-Tech will host Baylor as discussed above, I give the Red Raiders 2 games this series, both wins coming on Friday and Saturday, with the opportunity for the sweep on Sunday.

This post was edited on 4/10 8:41 AM by RaiderRedTTU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News