ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Baylor Film Review pres. by Treeline Vacation Rentals

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Once again, that was a ton of fun. You dominated in every sense, it was every phase that had a good game. Sidebar, ESPN won't let me clip video anymore, so we're settling for whoever is posting the blurry extended highlights.

I'll jump right into what made me super excited yesterday, which starts with Tahj Brooks. That dude was a ton of fun to watch him run the football last night. He runs the ball so hard and with so much patience. It is absolutely ridiculous that he had only three caries in the first half of a game this season. He is this team's star and he's finally being used like it. These highlights are worth the entire watch, but the first drive gives you the idea. (First few plays after 0:19)

Infront of Brooks, I thought the Tech offensive line did some really good things even though PFF hated their effort on the ground. Felt like there were holes everywhere for Brooks, and I bet a ton of that is scheme. Tech also did really well to keep Behren Morton clean.

I thought you did a really good job to get the ball to Myles Price in the flat and it was nice to see him be able to make an impact. You did in a variety of ways but my favorites being the outside zone PA seen at 0:52 and the quick out at 3:45.

I really appreciated the attempts to get Drae McCray the ball in creative ways, and the first jet sweep really worked. Big block by Tahj, shocker. (6:06)

"Raider" Cupp had an excellent day, it was good to see him go up and get that ball on the fade, a play Morton checked into he said postgame, and he was wide open for the second score. Think it helped that Tharp didn't play, but it is huge when you get those guys rolling.

Before I flip to the defensive side of the ball, I am officially worried about Jerand Bradley's effort running routes. Just didn't look high effort enough, and he wasn't open all night long. Two targets, one catch for six yards. Could just be a blip, and I'm sure some of it is just scheme and him not getting the ball, but he's in a major dry spell.

Now, the defense.

I could write a novel about this but the front four had their best game all season, and by front four I mean quite literally everyone who took a snap there. Linton, Cole, Bradford, Hutchings, Banks, Ledet, Esters, Adedire and more had excellent days. Could go on and on about how good of run defense they played, but this group is going to have one of the best rushing defenses analytically in the nation. Very curious where they land in the EPA/Rush numbers.

Want to talk more about Linton. Man, it was excellent to see that guy make an impact after spending all of the early season injured. Maybe now we will see that guy that was promised all offseason. He sure flashed it. Loved the move on this sack in the twitter embed and you can find his first sack in the YouTube video at 3:39.

Coverage wise, you played really well until somewhat garbage time. If you take away the bad coverage bust 71-yard Monaray Baldwin touchdown, I think you played pretty well. They couldn't get anything going. You dominated. (That coverage bust is at 5:51).

I said this on Twitter earlier in the week last week, and I wanted to circle back on how I thought you did while talking coverage...

Tech got sort of gashed in between the hashes. Shapen was 10-16 between the numbers. Baylor found soft spots over the middle, and that seems to be the weakness of this defense either personnel wise (linebackers coverage ability) or the hole in the scheme. Want to say that I thought Pierre, Roberts, Dingle and Ramirez all had solid games at linebacker, and this is in no way a big knock on how they played.

Screenshot-2023-10-08-144614.png

You have some momentum, take care of business against a Kansas State team that is sure to come into Lubbock with their hair on fire next week after their performance in Stillwater. Feelings of that 0-2 and 1-3 start are pretty much gone in my mind. This is a different team than the one that lost in Laramie.

IMG_5914.jpeg

Be sure to book with TreeLine Vacation Rentals if you are in need of a Broken Bow, Oklahoma cabin rental. All Red Raiders get a $200.00 discount (enter code RRS) and direct booking with no additional fees.

TreeLine Vacation Rentals – Broken Bow, OK

Craig Crawford (@crawfordTT)
214-228-0892

TreeLine Owner craig@vacationtreeline.com

TreeLine can also build, sell & manage investment properties in Broken Bow -- one of the best investment opportunities in the nation right now!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News