ADVERTISEMENT

Athlon Sports: April's Top Recruiting Wins Exclude Two Major College Football Conferences

DFWRaider2

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2004
DFW
The new narrative is starting: The Big 12 and the ACC suck and can't compete with the Big Ten and SEC. When you have two conferences basically colluding to poach the largest brands in a clear effort to obtain a massive financial advantage that's what happens. I'm fairly certain that if the Big 12 had gone in and taken Bama and Georgia and the ACC had taken Michigan and tOSU it would be the same situation in reverse. But the narrative somehow never takes that into account, it just bashes us as if we haven't been damaged by what amounts to a monopoly of two colluding conferences. I'm not sure what they expected.

In a few years when half the current college football fans no longer tune in or care I'm sure they'll be blaming everyone except the Big Ten and SEC.

The ACC and Big 12 had no part in the top commits of April, according to On3 Sports.

Some of the top recruits in the 2025 class committed to big name programs like Michigan, Texas, USC, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Georgia, and others. The best commits in April included four-star prospects like Nate Marshall, Matt Zollers, Husan Longstreet, Matai Tagoa'i, and more.

The ACC's highest commit in the 2025 class is currently Soloman Thomas to Florida State. Thomas is the No. 20 ranked player nationally, per the On3 Industry Rankings. Thomas is the top player in his class as an inside offensive lineman.

There are plenty of commits considering Big 12 schools. However, to find the highest ranked Big 12 commit in the 2025 class you'd have to go to No. 95. That player is Kendarius Reddick, who is a four-star safety according to the On3 Industry Rankings. Reddick is pledged to UCF and is the No. 10 safety in the class.

The Big 12 may regret the exits of powerhouse program like Texas and Oklahoma. The two are going to be playing in the SEC this fall. Colorado, BYU, UCF, Houston, Colorado, Arizona, Arizona State, Utah, and Cincinnati have all joined the conference within the last two seasons. However, losing big brands like Texas and Oklahoma is never good.

For the ACC, Florida State has made the conference appear in the news after missing out on the College Football Playoff. The Seminoles won the ACC title and were undefeated, however Jordan Travis suffered an injury against North Alabama that cut his year short.

Many believe that was the reason the Seminoles were left out. The lack of a competitive game with whoever they played could have been a factor.

The ACC welcomed the addition of Cal, Stanford, and SMU in the offseason. The big question for the ACC and Big 12 is how they can catch up to the SEC and Big Ten in terms of recruiting.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News