ADVERTISEMENT

Appeal to all Red Raiders

Raider1950

Red Raider
Gold Member
Sep 8, 2004
From time to time this year, there has been some very nasty posts directed at Coach McGuire. I'm sure these posts represent a small minority (of us) but I'm also sure that those comments must have really stung McGuire (assuming that he read them).

I bring this up because on Saturday night at the post game presser, the first thing McGuire said was how tough the last two weeks have been on him. I was sitting in the first row of seats right in front of him and you could see the strain on his face. He wasn't kidding.

There is nothing wrong with honest conversation and mature criticism but for some to call for McGuire to be fired after a loss is not only hurting for the coach, but it makes us look really bad.

Joey McGuire is giving 110% to Texas Tech and the results are already noteworthy.

As you all know, last year we beat UH, Texas, Oklahoma and Ole Miss. When did that ever happen before? This year, despite losing our first two quarterbacks, we have beaten UH, Baylor, TCU, 16th ranked Kansas (on the road) and a very tough UCF team. In the process, we are bowl eligible again.

I have always maintained that every coach needs at least three years before his success or failure can be gauged. Obviously, four years means a new coach has seniors in place that he recruited. So two years in, I believe McGuire is delivering.

One more thing. In the past, Tech has been burned by coaches who used Tech as a stepping stone for another job. This guy is giving no indication that he is or will ever be looking elsewhere. I think we owe him every bit of support we can give.

So please, you in the minority who have called for a coaching change, no more of that. In my opinion, Joey McGuire is a damn good coach who is winning games, recruiting like no other here before, and is deserving of our full support. Think how he must feel if he sees us as fair weather fans.

I really felt for him at the press conference and just felt compelled to post my feelings here. Thanks for your attention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News