ADVERTISEMENT

RECRUITING: 2021 DB commit Cale Sanders Jr.

M. Clare

Matt Flare
Staff
Feb 21, 2008
Winner's Circle
hey boys and girls, happy Friday.

I wanted to share a quick update from a recent conversation with longtime DB commit Cale Sanders Jr., who committed to Texas Tech this past September after receiving his first scholarship offer from the Red Raiders.

The three-star prospect has added new offers from Houston, UTSA and Fresno State this week.

I reached out to speak with Sanders Jr. after new Texas Tech defensive backs coach Derek Jones was hired, but did not necessarily expect this response from him.

"I haven't talked with Coach (Derek) Jones yet," Sanders Jr. said. "Coach (Paul) Randolph talked with my Dad and said they would get in touch with me too. They talked with my Dad about how Coach Jones would be coming out to see me practice later this spring.

"With the new coach, I have to 'reprove myself' and he is going to evaluate me this spring. It is new, so just learning more as I go. I have seen coaches change at different places, then recruits don't have a spot. It is eye-opening and it's all just a business."

Has the three-star prospect heard anything about Derek Jones?

"I haven't really heard anything about him. All I know is that he is re-evaluating guys and already has a group of defensive backs that he is interested in, creating top priorities for the 2021 class."

If you made it this far, then it seems fair to point out that Jones has been on the staff for two weeks.

I did follow up with Sanders Jr. this week and he has not talked with Derek Jones at this point.

The longtime Texas Tech commitment did have great things to say about his recent unofficial visit to Lubbock for the junior day event and basketball game against Kentucky.

"The junior day was a lot of fun. The atmosphere at the basketball game was ridiculous, and the student section was ridiculous. I spent a lot of time around the coaches and there were a lot of recruits there too. I got to see the other recruits they are looking at, and the coaches showed us a little bit about the defense and how they are going to do some things. I liked that and I liked the approach, just up to hard work now."

Sanders Jr. also mentioned he has been recruiting other 2021 prospects to take a look at Texas Tech.

"I'm just trying to get more people on board in this class, just get their attention on Texas Tech. I have talked with Behren (Morton) and we message other recruits all the time."

The three-star prospect also talked about other programs showing interest since his commitment to the Red Raiders last Fall.

"Some coaches have been coming to the school. I cannot remember which ones, but there are some coaches interested. Most of them know that I'm committed and they are hesitant to offer. I know the new coaches at UTSA have reached out to my coaches and my Dad, I'm sure there are a few others."

Again, not sure what happens or where things stand. The evaluation period begins April 15th, which seems a ways away, but that is when Coach Jones can visit New Caney and see Sanders Jr. work in person.

-Clare

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News