ADVERTISEMENT

1st down / Stacked Box, Stats and random thoughts

Red Raider Rick

Red Raider
Gold Member
Dec 19, 2001
Sugar Land, Tx
I'm not ready to rewatch the game, but I did just glance at the play sheet. I may be off a little as I am looking at my phone and I'm old.

In the 2nd half, before it got to 38-21, I think I counted 4 running plays to 9 pass plays on 1st and 10.

Running the ball 4x netted 21 yards.

Passing 3 for 9 for 60 yards, with 2 interceptions.

Irony, the 4th and 1 against a stacked box, Taj get 3 yards and 1st down.

4th and 2, we tried the chuck and hope to Bradley. At least this time we tried it to a tall guy.

My point is the same as it has been since Wyoming. We are too busy or impatient trying to guess the right play, instead of using the gifts we have to establish a basis to dictate to the defense. Play action on 2nd and 6 is better than play action on 1st and 10.

Also, if the box is truly stacked, why have 3 QBs been unable to generate any consistent offensive threat against it?

I'm not a fire the coach guy, especially a young OC who I still believe can be very successful. But at some point, you have to wonder how you can keep making the same mistakes every week and not learning from them.

If someone is willing and able to pull the video for 1st and 10 plays, especially in the 2nd half, I would like to see what we saw presnap vs what actually happened. I may try to stomach it and pull it myself later, but...again...I'm old.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News