ADVERTISEMENT

Will's Weekly Wonderings

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Starting today, I'll be posting my new column every Thursday, and it will cover a gamut of topics, including Tech sports, other happenings throughout the sporting world, and randomness. Hope you guys enjoy it!

---------------

On Broadway:[/B] Tech baseball back on track? Maybe.

This time a week ago, one thing was for sure with Red Raider baseball: They desperately needed to sweep Baylor in order to get things steered back in the right direction.

Mission accomplished. Tim Tadlock's third year team took all three games from Baylor. They were pretty much in control for the majority of the weekend, despite having to hit a walkoff homer to win game two. And heck, even though that one was dicey, Tech had plenty of opportunities to make it a blowout, as they stranded over a dozen baserunners. Regardless, a series a sweep is a series sweep. But, despite a four game win streak heading into this weekend's away set against Kansas State, there are still cracks in the hull that need mending.

Here's what we know that Tech can count on right now: Great pitching from the top of the lineup with Ryan Moseley, who's getting better with each start, quality starts from Cameron Smith, absolute shut-down stuff from Corey Taylor, and the ability to close out games from Dominic Moreno. On offense, the Red Raiders have one of the best lineups in the conference on paper, as there really aren't any guys you can dismiss from the one to the six hole, however Tadlock may slice it up. Get this: Through the entire 2014 season, six Red Raiders hit a home run. So far in 2015? 12. The Red Raiders hit 30 home runs last year total. They've already hit 27 this spring. Yes, home run numbers are up with the new baseball, but that's still an impressive stat that proves the power in the Red Raider batting order. Even without Cory Raley and Tim Proudfoot in the starting lineup, they still knocked the cover off the ball against the Jayhawks.

But, here's where things get a little dicey. You really don't know what you can count on from game to game after that. Middle relief pitching has been a hit or wild miss, defensive infielding has been an issue with errors, and timely hits with runners on the bases in critical situations have been hard to come by at times. Look at Tuesday's near-miss win against Abilene Christian. That's where the Red Raiders have to steady the boat.

If they can simply find some sort of consistent middle ground with those issues, then I think they'll be ok. But at this juncture in the season, heading up to Manhattan where a series sweep would be very, very nice, it has to get better. We'll see.

The Wide World:[/B] The media vs. the teams they cover

With the Oklahoma City Thunder being eliminated from playoff contention on the final day of the regular season via New Orleans, I thought back to this season and the big issue regarding the Thunder, the media that covers them, and the boiling tension that seems to have come to a head over the last several months.

For those that need a refresher: Thunder players, including both Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, have becoming increasingly prickly with members of the media, to the point of not answering questions or telling members of the media that they don't like them. It even seems to come from deeper down the rabbit hole, as the Thunder's media relations folks have started giving a cold shoulder to requests for interviews and such.

The other key thread in this storyline centers around Seahawks running back Marshawn Lynch and his now meme-able "I'm only here so I won't get fined," catchphrase. Looking to other markets, especially with college athletics, teams are cutting down on media availabilities and open practices across the board. That's even happened here at Texas Tech with football.

So, this begs the question: What obligations should sports teams have to the media, and how much access does the media itself have a right to? It's incredibly tough to answer outright, and there may be no true right or wrong answer.

This also comes back to the core of the issue, where the two parties involved essentially want the opposite of one another. The media wants to be able to report the everyday goings of the teams they cover down to if someone sneezes at practice, while the coaches want to keep everyone out and shut the doors to focus their teams and keep supposed secrets about their teams away from the public eye.

The middle ground has been kept for years, with unwritten rules between the two engaging parties, but things have shifted recently. I think much of that has to do with social media. For example: If I were at Tech's football practice, I technically could tweet out that I saw either Pat Mahomes or Davis Webb running with the first team, and that's instantly out there for ANYONE to read, and I mean anyone in the world with access to the internet. The same goes for the coaches and players. Anything that comes across their mind that they decided to loose upon the masses is there for anyone anywhere to see. That's both incredible and terrifying at the same time for a coaching staff and the PR department for any team. Teams shifting to in-house production for media content in this new 24/7 access world is a big factor, too.

But, it's really a strange catch 22. Despite their being more opportunities for access than there ever have been before, things are becoming less and less available to the average media member. Do I think the coaches have an obligation to give out info and give access? No, they don't. If you think something is best for you and your team, go for it. But, depending on how your team is doing, limiting access could backfire.

All I know is this: The media and social landscapes are rapidly evolving, and I'm not sure where things will go from here.

Link Me, Bro[/B]

Be still my heart: The new Star Wars trailer has me feeling some type of way.

ESPN reporter Britt McHenry isn't a very nice person, as it turns out.

The eternal struggle between man and seatbelt: "I CAN'T GET OUT OF THE CAHHH!"

The NBA Playoffs have arrived. Here are the matchups.

All your three point baskets are belong to Steph Curry.

Power Rankings

Being that it's the inaugural edition of this feature, and I've become a big sneakerhead over the last two years, we'll go with my favorite sneakers in this week's power rankings.

1. Air Force Ones - These really are the shoes that started it all as far as the sneakers movement. They're classic, you can wear them with almost anything other than like a suit, and they come in a trillion different colorways. The undisputed king of the roost.

2. Air Max 90s - Again, like AF1s, they're iconic, and they look great in tons of different colorways. One of the only shoes I have multiple pairs of.

3. Adidas Superstars/Top Tens - Falling into the same mold as the first three, but with the iconic three stripes on the side. They're a go-to, for sure.

4. Asics Gel-lyte IIIs - while these are probably a lesser known sneaker, they're awesome and seem to be making a big comeback. Originally designed in the 90s as one of Asics' first running shoes, they've made a big push in the retro-department as of late. In fact, they're quickly becoming my favorite sneakers.

5. Nike Roshe Runs - Now, here's where you run into the new school shoe that's incredibly popular right now, and for good reason. They're simple, comfortable, cheap, and you can buy them in tons and tons of colors. Props to Nike for these. They're genius.

Off The Reservation

Do you ever get cravings for a food that you would probably get odd looks from other people for liking? I do, and I have no shame in it, either. One of mine that struck me this week was deviled eggs. Yes, you read that right. Now, I don't think people necessarily dislike them, but I think most would probably like me institutionalized for LOVING them. For example: I once ate an entire plate of them at a family gathering in high school. Should I have been stomach pumped like a beached whale while also being tested for salmonella? That's for you to decide.

But, seriously. I don't know why I get so hyped for deviled eggs. Other off-the-wall food items I crave: Canned tuna, pimento sandwiches, peanut butter and marshmallow cream sandwiches, and potato salad. Go ahead and judge. SEE IF I CARE.

This post was edited on 4/16 4:30 PM by W. McKay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.