ADVERTISEMENT

What would it take for the university to part with McGuire?

ReasonableRaider

Techsan
Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
It's one thing for message boards to scream for a change, and quite another for an administation to do so. I'm very slow to get on the fire-the-coach bandwagon because that always seems to be the knee-jerk reaction and often you can't fire your way to prosperity. I'm trying not to be the prisoner of the moment, but this is not working. The 2022 season was a mirage by going 3-0 in OT games and winning another with two goal line stands. Red flags were up last year that gave a lot of us pause, and now this debacle through two games which is bad on a level not seen even here in a long time.

What would it take for Kirby, Schovenec and the regents to move off McGuire? They BADLY want this to work. Hell, we all do. Extremely likeable, enthusasitic, initially able to recruit at a level not seen. Money was flowing in, facilities were being built, ticket sales were great. Everything but the wins. From my viewpoint, there's no way out of this mess. McGuire's strength, connections to HS coaches and recruiting, has been neutered by NIL. The last few months have shown that.

But what does the administration see and this is without factoring in the buyout of which the amount I don't know. I think it would take damn near Armageddon to move at the end of this year. Even then, it's probably removing Kittley and not much more. That's just a desperation move because what OC is going to come in for maybe one year, and then not able to bring in his entire offensive staff.

Maybe others see it differently, and I'd like to hear other opinions, but I don't think there's a change no matter how bad it gets until at least after the 2025 season. I don't think they have the stomach for it and want to give this every chance to work when clearly it is not and odds are great that it won't.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.