ADVERTISEMENT

What should be done eventually must be done immediately...

codycc64

Red Raider
Gold Member
Jan 21, 2009
About midway through last season, it became apparent to me that Wells wasn't going to be the guy to take us to the Promised Land. I didn't think that he was a "bad" coach - just not a "great" one. I came to expect that he would cause us to wallow in mediocrity for several years, and then we would eventually part ways. My hope was that our administration would see the light soon enough or we could have enough success that we could avoid complete apathy among our alumni/fan base (if we weren't already there). The last thing we need is to lose another 5 or 6 years on a coach that isn't taking us anywhere - if that happened, we are legitimately at risk of becoming "Kansas", and we could potentially be at risk from a conference realignment standpoint.

Sadly, despite my low expectations following last season, I've been surprised at how very poorly this season has gone and how bad our team has looked. I thought that taking all of the transfers was a really bad long-term decision, but I expected they would make us better this year. I also thought that there was no way that Wells could continue to make bad decisions (like he did last year), and that he was coming around on some schematic things that didn't make sense... Sadly, it seems that things have actually gotten worse, and we continue our decent into a "losing culture".

There aren't any reasons for optimism. Wells isn't building the program through recruiting, and it's clear that he is in over his head. He's not capable of running a program on this level. Yes, he is a very nice guy, but we are even starting to see flashes of some bad character flaws as he criticized and questioned.

Wells is going to win some games this season - I think we will get 2 or 3 more wins. But even if we enjoy that amount of success, it's beyond apparent that he is not the "Elite" coach that we endeavored to hire. We need to cut bait, rip the bandaid, and find a coach who is truly outstanding. The longer we wait to act, the more difficult it will be (and the longer it will take) to dig ourselves out of this sad and embarrassing rut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.